Hooking up my brake cutoff ?

999zip999

100 TW
using a Lyen 18fet and Tektro ebike brake levers. I have just one pair of wires from the controller yellow and black. So hooking up two of the brake wires from each side together and only the right hand works . I tried other brake levers I can only get the right side to work. Yes I flip the wires many different ways many different times. My left brake works backwards. Can I only use one lever ?

I just have one cutoff on my right (rear) brake and it works perfectly fine. I didn't see the point of installing both. When mountain biking I'm either using only the rear or both brakes...I'm not cool enough to endo turn.

I remember having two break cutoffs and I didn't like it because sometimes the lever wouldn't return all the way. And when you got to it's hard to know who to blame. This thing does wheelies and I don't like it. It's not fully turned up yet. I have an off-and-on switch and that one brake lever cut off on the same side. Maybe I'll put the off and on on my left side.

Wire the cut offs in series, ie join the two levers together and then put one front lever wire to black and the rear lever wire to yellow.
Now when you pull either lever the circuit will activate.

Jonno

I don't know but maybe diodes would work because I think twisting the wires together would change the resistance/impedence because you have the brake cutoff levers in parallel. The Tektro are hall sensors right so the signal is being messed with, so need to isolate each lever, maybe with diodes?????? 🤷

Johnno both left wires together to black and both right lever to yellow. That would only work if I pulled both at same time. Am I not getting something here.
Right now I have one wire from each lever to black and one wire from each to yellow. The right rear works properly the left as it cut off what it's close it when I pull the lever on the left it'll go. I flip the wires back and forth interchange them I don't get it. no matter what wiring left brake only works when I pull the lever and the motor works.

999zip999 said:
Johnno both left wires together to black and both right lever to yellow.

That would be wired in parallel. He is suggesting you wire them in series instead. IDK if it would work either way, but that would be the distinction. If they are 2 wire brake levers it should work afaik.

This diagram may help. Swap out "driver" for "controller", "LED" for "brake lever", and ignore the third one.

SERIES_PARALLEL_grande.jpg

2 wire .
CORE I'm doing it your way as I do remember having two brake motor cutoffs and didn't like it. Especially at 80 volts 60 amps..And moving a em3ev off on and horn switch for left side. Plus I have Freddy Flintstone feet and kool stops.

Interesting. Have you tried hooking each of them up separately to ensure that each one works on it's own? (Or tested continuity with a meter)

Test each lever individually with a multi meter on continuity to make sure they work properly first.

Jonno

Back