Motor recommendations for Mongoose Malus

tomolry

1 µW
Mongoose Malus fat tire arrives next week. Considering 2 options for conversion:

EBikeling Rear Hub
https://ebikeling.com/.../waterproof-48v-1500w-26-fat...

vs.
Luna Cycle BBSHD Mid Drive
https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbshd-1000w-middrive-kit/

I currently have an Aventon Aventure with a 750W rear hub and like it a lot. Contrary to what some have said, the thing climbs hills quite well and does 30+mph in PAS mode 5. While I want to be able to do some more technical off road, I’m a pretty tame rider. I’m drawn to the rear hub due to its simplicity (installation and maintenance) and lower cost. Also, the wear on the drive train of a mid motor has me concerned. That said, folks seem to rave about the mid and I don’t want to miss out (never ridden a mid). Thoughts/recommendations?
Capture.JPG

The hub motor will be largely maintenance free but won't be as well balanced offroad. This may or may not be an issue for you on an unsprung fat tire bike, especially if you're only planning on tackling paths and less technical single track. Also should you experience a failure with the e-system you'll still be able to pedal home.

The mid drive will be more balanced and will have the benefit of multiple gears. It will also add complexity, make the drivetrain a much more frequent wear item than it already is, can cause frames to flex if powerful enough, will be louder during operation, and will have you doing the walk of shame when (not if) something fails.

Both have benefits and drawbacks. Your call.

Mid drive, if you plan on any riding slower through deep, soft sand, or similar snow. The real reason for fat tire is the beach, so I'd build for beach ( or desert sand) if there is any chance you can go to one.

Catch 22, I doubt that particular bafang kit fits a fat bike bottom bracket. Find out for sure before you buy.

The other link doesn't work anymore. But be sure you buy a hub motor that fits a fat bikes rear if you go that route. Either one has to be a particular type to fit a fat bike.

Malus is a good candidate for conversion, and I would upgrade the front brake to a larger diameter, and use the adapter that moves the caliper outwards the proper amount.

I build about 6 Mongoose Dolomite/Malus a year. All with BBSHD Bafang 120mm bb kit from Luna... to date not one has ever had a problem with motor. Battery and wheels issues but motors just go and go... 1500 watt programming.

You could go either way in your situation, mid drive or hub motor. Since you say you are a tame rider a hub motor would still serve you find off-road. If you did aggressive off-road riding the mid drive would be more practical. I enjoy my hub motor off road BUT I keep it pretty tame for the most part with a heavy rear hub.

Back