Keirin racing - now I've seen everything

raylo32

100 kW
I just turned to the Olympics on TV and they are showing the women's Keirin races. As a cyclist I am almost sorry to say I had never even heard of this event. I googled it and apparently this has been a sport originating in Japan in 1948. Who knew?? I guess one concession for modern times is to use an e-bike for the motorpacing. Looks like it is an e-bike with an integrated frame motor. Not sure which bike or motor it might be. Anyone here know?

In Japan they race Keirin for big purses.

I haven’t found a vid of current olympics keirin races, so it is impossible to guess the ebike that you are talking about.

Hard to tell from this angle
GettyImages-1204877414.jpg

I noticed he appears to have foot pegs rather than pedals, and the descriptions say electric motorbike.
Looks like there's a video on a European site, that's not accessible in the states:

pace bike.jpg

The race I saw today it looked like a standard Bafang integrated frame motor or somesuch. They only go ~30 mph then get out of the way after 3 laps. The pedal bikes accelerate from that speed up top near 40 for the women and higher for the men.

It is an ebike, with crank and cheap pedals of which we can see the reflectors on the pic. Looking like a geared hub in 24 wheel. Probably has the 3 spd switch set to 30/40/50 so the sleeping rider doesn’t make any stupid mistake. Custom made, simple and rather cheap ebike for pacing the race. :wink:

In Japan those races are high financial stakes. They could afford a custom designer e-motorcycle with AI control to pace the race without a rider. I mean, to replace Fred who’s looking ready for honorable retirement.

The one I saw in the race I saw had a mid motor... unless I missed something. Almost any e-bike could meet the requirements, I suppose. Just need to go 30 mph for a couple of minutes. Easy peasy.

MadRhino said:
It is an ebike, with crank and cheap pedals of which we can see the reflectors on the pic. Looking like a geared hub in 24 wheel. Probably has the 3 spd switch set to 30/40/50 so the sleeping rider doesn’t make any stupid mistake. Custom made, simple and rather cheap ebike for pacing the race. :wink:

In Japan those races are high financial stakes. They could afford a custom designer e-motorcycle with AI control to pace the race without a rider. I mean, to replace Fred who’s looking ready for honorable retirement.

That's a cool bike but looks like hell to sit on.

Aero anyone?

Keirin racing needs a good sponsor like Sur-Ron, or major brand ebike (example: Specialized)
or maybe a not so good sponsor depending on how you look at it, Sondors.

Do you think many people watching Keirin racing would be swayed or moved by a product placement of an ebike?

Maybe. Only downside is that they are limited to a certain speed and then the pedal bikes take off and make it look slow. That might not help the image. But the same thing works for Chevy and Corvette at Indy so maybe.

markz said:
Aero anyone?

Keirin racing needs a good sponsor like Sur-Ron, or major brand ebike (example: Specialized)

Do you think many people watching Keirin racing would be swayed or moved by a product placement of an ebike?

I was just amazed at how long they kept using the whizzer, or similar type gas bikes in Europe, when I would turn on the track racing. Only a few years ago that they finally went electric. Drafting a gasser, ugh.

Haven't caught much track racing in the olympics. But my favorite is the team pursuit. The way they ride is so perfect it looks like its a video game.

We actually have a Whizzer... it had been restored once upon a time but then sat in a barn for 20 years. I plan to get it going again except I have gone down the e-bike rabbit hole which is taking up all my project time. :)

dogman dan said:
I was just amazed at how long they kept using the whizzer, or similar type gas bikes in Europe, when I would turn on the track racing. Only a few years ago that they finally went electric. Drafting a gasser, ugh.

Haven't caught much track racing in the olympics. But my favorite is the team pursuit. The way they ride is so perfect it looks like its a video game.

Saw keirin racing in Japan in 2005. It was awesome. I would be hooked if I lived there. It was thrilling. Lots of physical contact. Reminded me of roller derby. They wear pads like skate boarders, or BMX freestyle, heavy flesh colored panty hose under their shorts to reduce road rash from hitting the boards.

Well
Sondors ebikes are slow
;)

raylo32 said:
Maybe. Only downside is that they are limited to a certain speed and then the pedal bikes take off and make it look slow. That might not help the image. But the same thing works for Chevy and Corvette at Indy so maybe.

markz said:
Aero anyone?

Saw some kirin yesterday, the bike looked to me like a production bosch or shimano mid drive. Its a panasonic, modified to reach 50 kph. The pace bike drops out at 31 mph.

https://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0007633579

Looks like they are doing just as Mark suggested. But 24kph speed limit?? LOL... why even have an e-bike then? I know, most of the world has similar ridiculous restrictions.

dogman dan said:
Saw some kirin yesterday, the bike looked to me like a production bosch or shimano mid drive. Its a panasonic, modified to reach 50 kph. The pace bike drops out at 31 mph.

https://the-japan-news.com/news/article/0007633579

Keirin racing is one thing for sure but there has also been motor paced racing going on for even longer. And not just on the track. I am actually surpriced that it hasn't somewhat caugth on yet.....

I could see these things being used for motor pacing pro cycling training... even using cruise control to make for precise pacing.

Bigwheel said:
Keirin racing is one thing for sure but there has also been motor paced racing going on for even longer. And not just on the track. I am actually surpriced that it hasn't somewhat caugth on yet.....

Back