Fat Bike Front Fork with Rear Mac Motor?

kudos

10 kW
Hi,

I notice that fat bike front forks have 135mm spacing like standard rear spacing.

Has anyone used a rear Mac motor in a front fat fork but run in reverse?

If so would the disk brake align with the mount?

Why would you run it in reverse?
You know Mac motors are freewheeling geared hubs right? It would be a challenge to make one run your bike in reverse, not counting the time you’d spend learning to ride backwards. :D

Also check out Grin All-Axle motor.

But be aware a front motor can be literally **deadly**, if the forks aren't stiff and strong enough to withstand the twisting torque.

Old school steel highly recommended, or maybe chromoly but not the modern materials designed for low weight.

And of course the torque arms use, and how they are attached are super critical.

MadRhino:

Because the disc brake is on the left on a rear motor and right on my front fork.

But yes I now realise my error re freewheeling :facepalm:

Both:

This is to make 2WD, already have a Mac 8T on rear and am well aware of importance of TA's.

I'm not interested in DD motors like the All-Axle, I started off on DDs but moved to geared for the last decade which suit me.

The only reason I thought about it is I have a spare Mac 8T rear lying around.

I used to get my Macs from em3ev but now they have stopped doing them, I can't seem to find anyone who will supply one laced up into a wheel. Anyone know of someone reliable and decently priced?

Looks like it's only rear 8t.

I might have to learn how to lace up and true a wheel myself and be done with it.

Or go mid motor which are widely available.

kudos said:
MadRhino:

Because the disc brake is on the left on a rear motor and right on my front fork.

But yes I now realise my error re freewheeling :facepalm:

Your fork is weird, or assembled reversed in the crown(s) and that can be fixed in 10 minutes. :wink:

Lots of people run 135 mm rear motors in fat bike front forks that are also 135. But not in reverse. Remove the freewheel, but it should already be dished to center ok, and use a disk brake. Brake may need some adjustment to line up with the disk, but not likely too much spacer washers.

If the fork is an alloy suspension fork, you will absolutely positively need two C washers, and two very good torque arms.

Just tightening the nut without those C washers in the fork cup will crack em, then fail either immediately, or at 30 mph for extra fun.

kudos said:

The brake should be on the left both front and rear. Are you sure the fork isn't installed backwards?

I wouldn't even ride a fork from a company dumb enough to put the disc on the right side. What brand is it?

Chalo said:
kudos said:

The brake should be on the left both front and rear. Are you sure the fork isn't installed backwards?

Maybe it is all the rest of the bike that is. After all the bike is assembled on the right side of the fork, all of the brakes will be on the left. :mrgreen:

Back