Oversized spoke Nipples

MadRhino said:
If you mean big nipples for smaller spokes, check Sapim reduction nipples.

I’m needing a thicker body nipple to make up for the huge 8+ millimeter hole in the excel rims. I was really banking on Holmes hobbies oversized nipples but as mentioned they have limited stock left. These Sapim reduction nipples actually do the opposite, they allow the use of a thicker spoke in a smaller hole diameter.

I think I have about 30 of them used the ones you need I think I bought 40 of them but I don't know where the other 10 could be they've been sitting around bounce around for like six eight years in my drawer. nipple head.
I can mail them to you as I'll never use them. Used.
I got them from a member called road rash be used to work with another guy Teslanav and they separated and ( bad business ) road rash might have just ran away cuz I haven't seen him in a long time at E.S.
and I still think he owes one member a motor that he never sent to him so things get ifie here.
I remember I got these oversized nipples and I want standard nipples he said he didn't have any different nipples and just drill out my rims since I didn't have eyelids in my rim. Work. I still hate those nipples. as real as the first time I laced up hub motor in a rim and it was a 23lb Mxus 3,000. yeah right think about it what's your address p.m. me I'll send it to you I need to get rid of the ghost.

999zip999 said:
I think I have about 30 of them used the ones you need I think I bought 40 of them but I don't know where the other 10 could be they've been sitting around bounce around for like six eight years in my drawer. nipple head.
I can mail them to you as I'll never use them. Used.

Oh that’s nice of you!! :D
What gauge do you have?
The problem is I need 72

YOJIMBOS GARAGE on FACEBOOK

He is great got what you need ... Plus a Phil Wood machine to boot. Got the nipples for my Sur Ron DOT rims from him plus cut spokes. Or try Treatland.tv of course.

That bill would machine do cut threads is easy to wear out. Plus a cash thread it doesn't roll thread I like it but it wore out quick. What size bolts are you putting in

999zip999 said:
That bill would machine do cut threads is easy to wear out. Plus a cash thread it doesn't roll thread I like it but it wore out quick. What size bolts are you putting in

Phill Wood machines are INDUSTRY STANDARD and 5500$. They DO NOT cut threads, they CERTAINLY roll threads, and can output 60,000--160,000 spokes on one set of dies ( not exactly "easy to wear out").

"The thread is rolled/cold forged onto the spoke, which does not remove material as would occur if the thread were cut into the spoke." "Our machine is capable of cutting carbon steel, stainless steel, titanium, anodized, and powder coated spokes ( to length)." " If properly maintained, each surface can roll 60,000 spokes, for a total of 120,000 spokes on a single die set. When cutting and threading standard spokes, some die sets have reached upwards of 160,000 spokes. "

https://phil-wood-co.myshopify.com/collections/spoke-machine

DogDipstick said:
"The thread is rolled/cold forged onto the spoke, which does not remove material as would occur if the thread were cut into the spoke." "Our machine is capable of cutting carbon steel, stainless steel, titanium, anodized, and powder coated spokes ( to length)." " If properly maintained, each surface can roll 60,000 spokes, for a total of 120,000 spokes on a single die set. When cutting and threading standard spokes, some die sets have reached upwards of 160,000 spokes. "

https://phil-wood-co.myshopify.com/collections/spoke-machine

Interesting!

I wonder how many Hozan can roll?

I would have saved money on all the custom spokes I bought.
Plus I could even put an ad in the online classifieds promoting my custom spoke service.

https://www.amazon.com/HOZAN-Spoke-Threading-Machine-C700/dp/B000C3F5LY
I believe they are $150usd with one included attachment and each attachment is like $50.

1111.png

markz said:
I wonder how many Hozan can roll?

I would have saved money on all the custom spokes I bought.
Plus I could even put an ad in the online classifieds promoting my custom spoke service.

https://www.amazon.com/HOZAN-Spoke-Threading-Machine-C700/dp/B000C3F5LY
I believe they are $150usd with one included attachment and each attachment is like $50.

1111.png

One of those can roll more spokes than any normal human has the patience to do. My coworkers think I'm a freak because I'm willing to precisely cut to length and roll threads on an entire wheel worth of spokes at a time. Expect an hour per wheel when you've gotten the hang of it and you have a rhythm.

I hear the Hozan is kinda painstaking... hence the popularity of the other tool, and the price.. A huge number of threads are rolled in industry ( 95% or more) but the spokes need a certain adjustable precision to get the correct diameters and whatnot.. you know old threading lore. Plus limited by spoke diameter. I think the 13-14g head is the largest you can get for that one... I did look for a motorcycle spoke threader for the longest time, but most motorcycle have spoke part numbers that come complete.. in the little Honda or Yamaha package..

Yojimbos had spokes for my Sur Ron 19" DOT rim in 1.4" with 12 gage spokes, long nipples with large heads. Does custom messaging on Facebook, used to sell on eBay. Will respond on Facebook.

They fit the rim and worked well fr the last 5K miles. I did try a set of treatland spokes, but they were low quality. I still have em, I think they are 11g ( odd size) galvanized. .

DogDipstick said:
I hear the Hozan is kinda painstaking... hence the popularity of the other tool, and the price.

If you're going to build less than half a dozen wheels ever, just buy the spokes from someone. If you're going to build ten to a hundred wheels ever, buying the Hozan threader makes sense, most especially if they're hub motor wheels, drum brakes, internal gears, hub dynamos, etc., that need unusual lengths. For the Phil Wood machine to make sense, you had better be thinking thousands of wheels. Keep in mind that unthreaded blank spokes cost the same as threaded ones in stock sizes.

Chalo said:
One of those can roll more spokes than any normal human has the patience to do. My coworkers think I'm a freak because I'm willing to precisely cut to length and roll threads on an entire wheel worth of spokes at a time. Expect an hour per wheel when you've gotten the hang of it and you have a rhythm.

Then there is the problem of butted spokes ... I expect those are difficult to resize.

Chalo said:
One of those can roll more spokes than any normal human has the patience to do.

Yeah I have almost bought a HOZAN like three or four times by now, researched th Cyclo and everything, searched and searched. I really want to be able to do this.. Cut and roll my own spokes, but could never commit to a Phil Wood kinda machine. Lol thats outta my league.

thanks for the input.

Me too thought about buying the Hozan or Cyclo many times.
I also thought about just buying the attachment and making my own holder spinner thing.

But I dont build much anymore
I dont switch my ebikes around anymore like I used to
Not into spending anymore money on the hobby. Just into spending money on keeping the rig going.
But for me the dilemma is batteries wear out so need to spend big money on a battery.

DogDipstick said:
Yeah I have almost bought a HOZAN like three or four times by now, researched th Cyclo and everything, searched and searched. I really want to be able to do this.. Cut and roll my own spokes, but could never commit to a Phil Wood kinda machine. Lol thats outta my league.

thanks for the input.

You will need to dish these washers into a shallow bowl shape, which is easily done with a cheap 3/8-inch hydraulic tubing flare tool. Standard 12ga bicycle nipples will require washers when used on any moped rims. Common 12ga nipples have a 4.6mm body, and a 5mm washer works well. An SAE #12 washer has a 6.4mm ID

Try one washer, if it works for your rim, you can buy more...

Moped11.png

I did that, had to with motorcycle rims. A cheap tube flarer works well but takes a lot of time to do 36.

I did it after reading SM article.
https://www.electricbike.com/moped-rims-tires-hubmotors/

ZeroEm said:
Just wondering if anyone has tried using aluminum or copper tubing flared on one end. Have the nipple fit into, thru like a sleeve.

spinningmagnets said:
which is easily done with a cheap 3/8-inch hydraulic tubing flare tool. Standard 12ga bicycle nipples will require washers when used on any moped rims. Common 12ga nipples have a 4.6mm body, and a 5mm washer works well. An SAE #12 washer has a 6.4mm ID.

Try one washer, if it works for your rim, you can buy more...

Moped11.png

Thanks very much for the info!
I seen those pictures in the thread below but I was wondering why they didn’t explain in detail about the washers.

Thanks for posting this as I’ve been trying with different washers. Only have a couple of 14 gauge nipples laying around so just using those as a reference. I probably should go ahead and order the 12 gauge nipples if I can’t find the oversized ones, that way I can fit/size the nipples to the appropriate washers. And then finally, finally come up with a spoke length 😅

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55458

Back