Is this the speed limiter? Can this be done?

TheSiege

100 W
fcdOHFK

https://imgur.com/a/fcdOHFK Link if embedded pic doesnt work

On a quora post, a dude said this "On the speed controller board is a piece of metal wire or two or three or four running parallel. They come out of the board and run straight for about half an inch maybe an inch and go back into the board. This or these are your governor (limiter). At least as far as torque is concerned. Take a small wire much smaller than them but not so small as to be flimsy in the wind, and flip the board over and solder this wire right to the governor wire. You will not have the governor wire in the way when you flip the board and both solder ends of the governor wires are easily seen. This increases the size of the governor allowing more electricity through and increasing torque. But it will burn your motor and speed controller out faster depending on how much or big the added wire is."

Is this accurate? And if so, could a potentiometer be soldered on instead of wire and dial in the added torque/speed?

And lastly, he also said this, is this true? "Also many scooters have a speed variant plug on the speed controller, and it usually has three wires. Jump 2 of those wires together for faster than normal speed. Jump the other two for slower than normal"

The motor controller I have is from a company that is out of business, Lyric, and there is no identifiers on the controller. Thanks

TheSiege said:
fcdOHFK

https://imgur.com/a/fcdOHFK Link if embedded pic doesnt work

And lastly, he also said this, is this true? "Also many scooters have a speed variant plug on the speed controller, and it usually has three wires. Jump 2 of those wires together for faster than normal speed. Jump the other two for slower than normal"

That is the wires for a three speed switch. Add a adjustable trim potentiometer to lower throttle input voltage if you want a governor.

I mean the two solid buss wires directly soldered to the board about half an inch long. There are two of them. And they are not insulated

TheSiege said:
I mean the two solid buss wires directly soldered to the board about half an inch long. There are two of them. And they are not insulated

Those are shunts. Shunts have a very low, known resistance, so when current flows through them, there is a very small, but detectable voltage drop that can be measured. The voltage drop, combined with the known resistance, allow the controller processor to calculate the current flow. The controller uses that information to limit the current to protect the other components (e.g FETs). A shunt mod lowers the resistance to fool the controller to allow more current to flow, increasing the current going to the motor. It puts the other components closer to their max, but going too far can lead to those components being damaged. It's a form of hot rodding.
It won't increase the bike's speed, unless the speed is being limited by wind drag (speeds over 20 mph). Otherwise the mod will just increase torques (acceleration, climbing uphill, etc.). So not a speed limiter...unless.

How much ampere increase does the shunt mod does? i am thinking of doing that for extra torque for steep street climb…

EndGame00 said:
How much ampere increase does the shunt mod does? i am thinking of doing that for extra torque for steep street climb…

More torque means more current required to provide it. You can spoof your controller into flowing more current, but that won't increase the capacity of your battery and phase wires, connectors, PCB traces, battery cells, or motor. The risk you take when you do a shunt mod is exceeding the capacity of any one of these things, and burning it. Waste heat scales as the square of current, so things can get very hot very quickly.

Is there a way to see the ampacity of the FETs based off of the part number? And the phase wires are only taking ~1/3 of the load right? Since they are firing at different times?

on most controllers I've dealt with there'd be a white wire that you plug together to limit the speed or unplug and you can go faster than 18 or 20 miles an hour.

Chalo said:
EndGame00 said:

More torque means more current required to provide it. You can spoof your controller into flowing more current, but that won't increase the capacity of your battery and phase wires, connectors, PCB traces, battery cells, or motor. The risk you take when you do a shunt mod is exceeding the capacity of any one of these things, and burning it. Waste heat scales as the square of current, so things can get very hot very quickly.

Another consideration is that if there is a display involved, then any current or power readings will no longer be accurate, since the amount of current will be different from the original configuration.

Back