Hailong pack questions, sourcing

Chalo

100 TW
I'm trying to replace a faulty/worn out Luna Shark 48V 13.5Ah pack for a friend of mine. She has two bikes set up with a customized mounting rail for this specific pack, so we'd like to keep both this mounting system and her charger (which uses a 5.5mm barrel plug).

48v_shark_11__12471.1541541036.jpg

The mounting rail is the kind that's all plastic on the upper surface, has the narrow slots for battery lugs on each side, and has a single round mounting hole in the middle. It has four flat blades in the connector

products-Shark1_Cradle__38787.1535380098.1280.1280__83920.1550794401.jpg

I'd rather not get the same Luna battery again, because apart from its abbreviated lifespan, it has also had reliability issues. Quality does not seem to be in proportion to price in this case.

So far, I have been able to find a few 48V versions of this battery in a compatible case, but they're all rated 15 amps continuous or less. One of the bikes has a BBS02 that draws 25A, and the other uses a hub motor system that draws 22A.

So, my first question regards nomenclature for Hailong battery cases. I've come across at least three different, incompatible cases that are all simply called Hailong or Shark. Is there a more specific search term I can use to sort these out from each other?

Second question, does anybody know of a source other than Luna for this specific flavor of Hailong pack with 52 cells in a 13S4P arrangement, that can supply at least 25A continuous current?

My friend's battery is on its last legs, so I'd like to get her a new one on the way-- but only if it is adequate to the task.

Might this be it? https://www.ebay.com/itm/283350191243?hash=item41f8fccc8b:g:QVkAAOSwhBdhFfrK

Other than that guess I'm too new to this to be able to answer any of your questions but I do have a suggestion that might simplify your search: Find a suitable battery and ask if you can get it with 2 mounts. That can't be that unusual of a request.

That's the correct rail, yes.

In poking around more, I was able to determine that the smaller 13S 4P pack I was looking for is called "Hailong 1" and the larger 13S 5P pack is called "Hailong 3". Unfortunately, the new updated version of Hailong 1 uses a different and incompatible mounting rail.

I was able to find this one, which my friend ordered:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/173259688167

s-l400 (2).jpg

http://www.kssssj.cn/pro/DOWN_TUBE_BATTERY_CASE/

I have a few new unused. PM for details.

Reention Poly cases are definitely higher quality.

tomjasz said:

Thanks for the tip. Because I knew I was looking for something relatively common and cheap, I was hoping not to build it myself.

I was hung up on a specific style of case because I made aluminum mounting reinforcements for both bikes, which are configured especially for this rail. Adapting them for another battery mount would require me to repeat some machining work.

Chalo said:
I was able to find this one, which my friend ordered:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/173259688167
s-l400 (2).jpg

Here’s a 48v 13ah 30amp bms limit for $283, Free shipping
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F9CH2SH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_Z52ASQJKMER4WAN8SRE9?psc=1

I have their 72 V battery and have zero complaints. They have great customer service. if you shoot them a message on Amazon they typically reply back within 15 or 20 minutes. They also will custom make batteries with whatever cells you want, if she’s seeking Panasonic or something like that

They have larger capacity batteries as well for those "shark“ batteries. I believe they have one that’s almost 20 amp hours lol she probably doesn’t need that much but it’s there

But yeah she would have to change the mounting hardware/connector as this is the 6 blade as well.

Edit: they might have the old style if you request for it.
That way it’s plug and play. If not back to fabricating lol

Eastwood said:
They have larger capacity batteries as well for those "shark“ batteries. I believe they have one that’s almost 20 amp hours lol she probably doesn’t need that much but it’s there

I'm not crazy about putting ever bigger and heavier batteries on mounting points designed to carry a two pound water bottle. But there's another issue in this case. My friend lost the use of her left hand in a stroke a couple years ago. She doesn't need a fanatically lightweight bike, but she needs one that a small person can easily handle with one hand. Battery weight makes a significant difference in this regard.

Her left hand won't close, but her left arm still moves. So she can use it to steer after strapping her hand onto the grip. I have relocated all the controls on both her bikes to the right side of the handlebar.

Chalo said:
Eastwood said:

I'm not crazy about putting ever bigger and heavier batteries on mounting points designed to carry a two pound water bottle. But there's another issue in this case. My friend lost the use of her left hand in a stroke a couple years ago. She doesn't need a fanatically lightweight bike, but she needs one that a small person can easily handle with one hand. Battery weight makes a significant difference in this regard.

Her left hand won't close, but her left arm still moves. So she can use it to steer after strapping her hand onto the grip. I have relocated all the controls on both her bikes to the right side of the handlebar.

Yeah that makes perfect sense, sorry to hear about your friend, Strokes are devastating!

In that case they also offer a 10ah battery which would give her a little less weight, or maybe just stick with the 13ah

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0921VLHNM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_W0ZMNXK8Z4DBQAZJ85J2?psc=1

Is there any definitive info on identifying Hailong 1 (original vs updated) vs. Hailong 3 bases? I know changing out the power connection is pretty straight forward but there doesn't seem to be much around on the specific differences in how the pack attaches to the base. Perhaps things like the number of ramps, the length of the ramps and the spacing between them?

I thought they were all cookie cutter mounts. After this thread I will be look at he mount to battery connections for differences. Have a Unipack power battery on a trike. Will pull it off and take some photos and post it up so we can maybe get a refference of the differences between batteries. If others would post photos of what they have. Maybe we can figure it out.

Mclewis1 said:
Is there any definitive info on identifying Hailong 1 (original vs updated) vs. Hailong 3 bases? I know changing out the power connection is pretty straight forward but there doesn't seem to be much around on the specific differences in how the pack attaches to the base. Perhaps things like the number of ramps, the length of the ramps and the spacing between them?

I found this in some product listings. It shows differences between new type and old type Hailong 1 mounting rails.

718p9MDyjyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This image shows the larger Hailong 3 with its mounting rail:

61gAnqqAnnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

UPP. Run, don't walk away. Several shops lost thousands in supporting warranties they wouldn't honor.
2 house fires created by their batteries resold by previous buyers on eBay meant the shop insurance had to payout as UPP is insulated from any insurance claims. Nickel coated seals and often glued cells and uber cheap BMS.

I'm seeing great feedback and am now using,

Be certain to use dielectric grease or ACF50 on those blade connections and slots. Very common to see corrosion and resulting shorts.

Reention is a better quality case maker.

Jenny Mao
Li-ion Battery Sales Engineer
Shanghai Aijiu Energy Tech
WhatsApp | Wechat | Phone:+86 132 6288 2371
Email: jenny@aijiupower.com | http://shanghaiaijiu.en.alibaba.com
No.161 Zhenye Road,Songjiang District | 201619,Shanghai, China

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 5.17.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 5.17.10 PM.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 896
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 5.15.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 5.15.25 PM.png
    89.3 KB · Views: 896
by tomjasz » Sep 12 2021 5:09pm

UPP. Run, don't walk away. Several shops lost thousands in supporting warranties they wouldn't honor.
2 house fires created by their batteries resold by previous buyers on eBay meant the shop insurance had to payout as UPP is insulated from any insurance claims. Nickel coated seals and often glued cells and uber cheap BMS.

Two fires, well that is not to bad. Don't keep mine in the house, so it would be a yard fire. Its 2.5 years old now.

:thumb: Thanks folks, that's useful info (something in short supply from many online sources). I had a hunch that the Hailong 3 was different but didn't realize by how much with respect to the mounting base.

ZeroEm said:

Two fires, well that is not to bad. Don't keep mine in the house, so it would be a yard fire. Its 2.5 years old now.

5-10% failure rates are NOT acceptable. You bought 1, I sold scores.

Tell the folks that lost tens of thousands of dollars in property damage that your one purchase is problem-free...

tomjasz said:
ZeroEm said:

5-10% failure rates are NOT acceptable. You bought 1, I sold scores.

Tell the folks that lost tens of thousands of dollars in property damage that your one purchase is problem-free...

5 to 10% failure rate? How did you come up with that figure?

Eastwood said:
tomjasz said:

And what folks are we talking about here?

Here's one well-known example:
[youtube]JCaDz_2YcGQ[/youtube]

Chalo said:
Here's one well-known example:
[youtube]JCaDz_2YcGQ[/youtube

I don’t believe this guy in the video based upon the evidence I’m looking at. He’s trying to promote EM3ev batteries, it’s obvious.

Here’s some screenshots from the video that prove this is marketing.

Every person that complains about UPP batteries then promotes Em3ev

Also note this YouTube channel has over 1.5 million subscribers so he probably makes around $100,000 a year from YouTube views. Companies pay big money to Youtubers to promote their product.

The email address in the screenshot is not associated with UPP. Then look at the title of the email lol he obviously made that up it says “solution from battery explosion from UPP. The way that title is worded you can tell it’s marketing. If he started the email why would he include the name of the company that he’s actually emailing in the subject

Then the picture he posted in the video is a lawsuit actually against Em3ev and then tries to portray it’s against upp batteries lol look at the screenshot

Also another one of his screenshots in the video is showing Tomjasz post where he starts to discredit UPP and then at the goes to promote em3ev. So it sounds like every single complaint online then is proceeded to tell you how good em3ev batteries are

Attachments

• CE228B12-7C14-4AFD-A17B-FA2C733157A8.png
    CE228B12-7C14-4AFD-A17B-FA2C733157A8.png
    601.5 KB · Views: 853
  • 8BA47BB2-FE78-4768-B3F1-D841F58A44CE.jpeg
    8BA47BB2-FE78-4768-B3F1-D841F58A44CE.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 853
  • 73F7D943-7419-4BB7-B55E-663913405785.jpeg
    73F7D943-7419-4BB7-B55E-663913405785.jpeg
    36.9 KB · Views: 853
  • 98CF3349-773C-4954-A3D6-13222934D822.jpeg
    98CF3349-773C-4954-A3D6-13222934D822.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 853
Looked in the video description right off the back go fund me page! lol

Then his discord
Obviously he has influence in the E bike market

Attachments

• 5F893A67-F9BF-4BE9-9B08-A962560B6739.jpeg
    5F893A67-F9BF-4BE9-9B08-A962560B6739.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 848
  • DEAF161B-359D-4252-9231-1C7A1DBC5F75.jpeg
    DEAF161B-359D-4252-9231-1C7A1DBC5F75.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 848
tomjasz said:

Well it makes sense now you’re a seller. So you’re discrediting UPP then trying to promote your products, right.

tomjasz said:

Can you please provide evidence of what shops burn down? There would be legal documentation of lawsuits and insurance claims. Can you prove your claims?

Back