Ebike kit I can carry in airport and charge my Macbook

cwah

100 MW
Hello,

I've decided to have a nomad life and move from countries to countries.

I've gotten rid of most of my stuff but I still like to ebike.

I'm packed super light. Just a cabin bag and a small bag to minimize airport cost.

I'd like to get a kit I can carry with me in the airport AND that I can use as power bank for my Macbook (needs power delivery)

The Qiroll seems to do the job. With total weight of 2.5kg including battery I can carry it with me anywhere. Just buy a cheap road bike wherever I arrive and put that on:
https://qirollshop.com/product/qre-muteb60/

Not the most efficient I reckon but easy to install on most bike and to carry around.

I always have a couple of power bank with me for my macbook and phone. But ideally they should be powered by the ebike battery so I can get rid of some of my power bank weight.

I know there are some USB C adaptor but I need something that does Power Delivery so that I can plug it into my macbook and allow it to charge above 10W.

Anyone has an idea of a solution? Any idea allowing me to tracel light would be welcome

Thank you

100Wh is the maximum size LI pack allowed on aircraft.

The number of packs is at the discretion of the local inspector.

I know about the Grin Ligo's, which are 36V 10S-1P and with 2.7 aH cells are under 100WH. Three in parallel ought to run the QI-roll,

I should probably buy about twelve of them and toss out all my 36V packs.

docw009 said:
I know about the Grin Ligo's, which are 36V 10S-1P and with 2.7 aH cells are under 100WH. Three in parallel ought to run the QI-roll,

I should probably buy about twelve of them and toss out all my 36V packs.

Ah good point for the grin ligo. I know there are already on the market airport friendly battery for ebike.

And there are also power bank with power delivery for macbook.

But I can't seem to find anything doing both. I'm going to ask grin about that. I don't want an ebike battery AND a power bank for my laptop. I'd like to have one to do both otherwise I'll have too much battery and its going to be cumbersome.

The reason I'm interested by this is because I already use laptop power bank for my mac. So why not have it for an ebike motor?

Use the Grin pack and get a converter that bucks down to below 30V

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000553268600.html

If you're living and moving around on your own terms, you don't have to use airplanes. Airplanes are for folks who are in a hurry, and willing to endure indignities and discomforts so that they can get back to work in a timely fashion.

Chalo said:
If you're living and moving around on your own terms, you don't have to use airplanes. Airplanes are for folks who are in a hurry, and willing to endure indignities and discomforts so that they can get back to work in a timely fashion.

That's true but planes are really convenient. And e-bikes can't be carried in any easy way even via bus or train. Better keep it light to avoid transportation issues

Buck convert down to nominal 12V range

and that opens a world of "car chargers"

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/accessories-and-software/chargers-and-batteries/chargers/40ak0065ww

So long as the pack is easily removed that can be shipped separately.

If it can be broken down into multiple 100Wh sub-packs, as we were discussing wrt Grin's

a certain number of those can accompany you on the plane.

IMO this is entirely do-able if designed and built for this purpose, plus contingency planning.

The big challenge is not knowing how many will be allowed, and if not all, having a Plan B for the rest.

But yes, some may prefer taking a slow boat, the journey being the point, not when you get to the destination.

john61ct said:
Buck convert down to nominal 12V range

and that opens a world of "car chargers"

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/accessories-and-software/chargers-and-batteries/chargers/40ak0065ww

Yeah could be an option but then its getting bulky to have a 12v adapter then another adapter to usb C.

I need to have as compact setting as possible.

Also, it looks like the Qiroll option is 25V and the grin ligo is 36V... not making my life easy!

matthew89 said:
no you can't take an electric bike on a plane. Any rechargeable lithium battery larger than 100Wh is prohibited from being taken onto a plane. Some airlines may allow batteries that are up to 160Wh, but you'll need to ask for permission in advance.

The plan is to get a cheap bike at destination and just carry the battery and the ebike kit.

I ve been looking at various kit. This at 250w may do it as well but I dunno how portable it is and if its really only 1.5kg all inclusive:
https://www.lightest.bike/SHOP/Lightest-250W-motor-presales-p221035199

In direct response to your question, Grin is the only company which designs for air travel, although a company like Unit Pack Power in China are generally happy to build custom batteries at a reasonable price, and they can add a case with usb charger.

Where do you plan on traveling? Are you touring or just living in one spot for a period of months then moving on? It is such a hassle to transport batteries find and buy a used bicycle, fit the kit, figure out a security system for your suddenly valuable bike... that it really doesn't seem worth it unless you were physically unable to pedal for some reason.

I would only do an ebike if I were going to live in a place for a long time, in which case I would use a very compact and easy to install kit like this: (180wh or 250wh)
https://www.swytchbike.com/p/universal-ebike-conversion-kit/
Which I would just ship to my next destination (in the factory packaging / documentation)
I believe it has a usb charger built in.

Jordan325ic said:
In direct response to your question, Grin is the only company which designs for air travel, although a company like Unit Pack Power in China are generally happy to build custom batteries at a reasonable price, and they can add a case with usb charger.

Where do you plan on traveling? Are you touring or just living in one spot for a period of months then moving on? It is such a hassle to transport batteries find and buy a used bicycle, fit the kit, figure out a security system for your suddenly valuable bike... that it really doesn't seem worth it unless you were physically unable to pedal for some reason.

I would only do an ebike if I were going to live in a place for a long time, in which case I would use a very compact and easy to install kit like this: (180wh or 250wh)
https://www.swytchbike.com/p/universal-ebike-conversion-kit/
Which I would just ship to my next destination (in the factory packaging / documentation)
I believe it has a usb charger built in.

The pb with the switch bike is that I need to carry the whole wheel. And I plan to go around in hostels and airbnb. Stay 1 month there and there. That would around europe

I wouldn t have an address so there would be nowhere to ship before I arrive....

cwah said:
Yeah could be an option but then its getting bulky to have a 12v adapter then another adapter to usb C.

The DCDC conversion is required to get USB charging, not an option.

But it does not need to be carried on the bike. You just take one of your sub-packs out of the rotation and use the whole kit as a portable powerpack.

>it looks like the Qiroll option is 25V and the grin ligo is 36V

There is nothing magic about the Grin packs.

Come up with whatever xPyS combination of suitable cells you like, at whatever voltage you need,

just keeping each unit under 100Wh.

In fact a ~12V sub-pack would give a lot of flexibility, including recharging them in parallel from automotive sources, and powering your USB needs directly via "car adapters".

Three in series give you 36V, if you find the Qiroll sucks, then repurpose the packs to produce 48V or 60V or 72V.

john61ct said:
cwah said:

The DCDC conversion is required to get USB charging, not an option.

But it does not need to be carried on the bike. You just take one of your sub-packs out of the rotation and use the whole kit as a portable powerpack.

>it looks like the Qiroll option is 25V and the grin ligo is 36V

There is nothing magic about the Grin packs.

Come up with whatever xPyS combination of suitable cells you like, at whatever voltage you need,

just keeping each unit under 100Wh.

In fact a ~12V sub-pack would give a lot of flexibility, including recharging them in parallel from automotive sources, and powering your USB needs directly via "car adapters".

Three in series give you 36V, if you find the Qiroll sucks, then repurpose the packs to produce 48V or 60V or 72V.

Its a good idea to get 12V pack that I can take with me and build them up.

Any idea where I could get that? Would have been happy to buy these ligo stuff at 12V!

Oh, just Europe??

4 thoughts:
1. Most European cities have some sort of public ebike system already. Just use those.

2. The European rail system is normally set up for bicycles already, just buy an ebike and the start and take the train to your next destination. Trains do not have the same restrictions, plus they are more interesting and much more environmentally friendly. Europe is very small.

3. If you must fly, ebikes are everywhere over there. Just buy one on arrival to a city and sell on departure, you'd already need to do that with your current plan.

4. Go ebike touring. Europe is the easiest place in the world for this.

Jordan325ic said:
Oh, just Europe??

4 thoughts:
1. Most European cities have some sort of public ebike system already. Just use those.

2. The European rail system is normally set up for bicycles already, just buy an ebike and the start and take the train to your next destination. Trains do not have the same restrictions, plus they are more interesting and much more environmentally friendly. Europe is very small.

3. If you must fly, ebikes are everywhere over there. Just buy one on arrival to a city and sell on departure, you'd already need to do that with your current plan.

4. Go ebike touring. Europe is the easiest place in the world for this.

I mean it'll start with Europe but I don't want to be limited to it. I may decide to go to thailand at any stage!

I ve also checked the cost of borrowing ebikes, its quite expensive, i better buy and sell a bike there

cwah said:
Its a good idea to get 12V pack that I can take with me and build them up.

Any idea where I could get that? Would have been happy to buy these ligo stuff at 12V!
In units under 100Wh, have to make or have made.

By the way, how can airline know whether my battery is 100wh or more?

Could I just print a stamp on a 24V6AH battery to 24V5AH? And write 100wh?

The battery is barely over 100wh and its not that big at 190x60cm.

I could just tell them it's a power bank for my phone and laptop. I can't see how they could check that without doing any capacity check?

Jordan325ic said:

UPP hasn't certified their batteries to comply with current regs. No UN38.3

https://www.intertek.com/energy-storage/un-transportation-testing/

cwah said:
By the way, how can airline know whether my battery is 100wh or more?

Could I just print a stamp on a 24V6AH battery to 24V5AH? And write 100wh?

The battery is barely over 100wh and its not that big at 190x60cm.

I could just tell them it's a power bank for my phone and laptop. I can't see how they could check that without doing any capacity check?

Understand that air travel regulators hand out some very impressive fines for violating cargo restrictions. You could have a lot more to lose than to gain by it.

Keep in mind they have access to Google too. The average American TSA agent may be borderline retarded, but that's not all baggage inspectors everywhere.

You seem to be fixated on traveling light. I remind you bikes don't get lighter than the kind you propel by pushing pedals. You can buy or sell one pretty much anywhere in the world, and maybe get a taste of local flavor when you do.

Yes, this whole idea is a bit ridiculous. The batteries you could get away with on a plane really wouldn't give you anything more than the tiniest bit of assist. But anyway, I've got one more for the OP:

https://www.rubbee.co.uk/
An all-in-one friction drive with a 94wh battery "installed in device" as per airline regulations. Break the thing open on arrival and solder in a $20 36v-to-5V usb step down. Viola!

Jordan325ic said:
Yes, this whole idea is a bit ridiculous. The batteries you could get away with on a plane really wouldn't give you anything more than the tiniest bit of assist. But anyway, I've got one more for the OP:

https://www.rubbee.co.uk/
An all-in-one friction drive with a 94wh battery "installed in device" as per airline regulations. Break the thing open on arrival and solder in a $20 36v-to-5V usb step down. Viola!

Thanks yeah maybe its going too far......

This rubbee thing looks good maybe I should get it. Its quite bulky though. I sent them a message to check about the laptop charging.

I still prefer the Qiroll because its way more compact and hidden so less likely to be stolen as well as being easier to carry

Actually looking again the Rubbee is 2.8kg even with the lightest set up.

The Qiroll is 1.2kg inclusive of battery. So Qiroll is definitely much better in term of portability

I think I found the solution.

Get the Qiroll then use this:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uurahY

I can just remove the 21700 cells separately when I get into the plane. Carry 12 of them lol

Back