Looking for an ebike controller

Srdjanmax

100 µW
Hello,

My first post here. I'm having trouble finding a controller that would fit my requirements. Here they are:
  • Can work with 60v battery
  • Has a light connector
  • Can be hooked up with a throttle that has a switch and a voltage display.
I don't like using fancy displays or bike computers, whatever the correct name is. And I have no intention of using one. I did find one controller on AliExpress. But the guy sent me something completely different. And to get a refund I was supposed to ship it back, which was more expensive than the controller (there's no refund on shipping). That was my first and last order on AliExpress, so please no AE. Just to mention this is for my 1500w hub motor.
TIA!

To late you should have asked us before you made the purchase have you bought a battery yet maybe we can give you some advice on that before you purchase a battery. The heart of an electric bike.
No you cannot ship a bike a motor or I battery back to China successfully without pain pain and pain.
with a u s a base company at least you go punch him in the nose I doubt you're going to take a slow boat to China or the airplane and look the guy up who screwed you.

Read more, buy less.

What else do you know about your motor?

Where are you? Just what continent I mean. In the USA, you can find controllers meant for scooters on Ebay that should meet your wants. You may have to do some wire splicing, or adapting the plugs to your switch throttle, but you can find the wires you need to connect to on common scooter controllers. There will be a small red wire that goes to your on off switch, three wires to the throttle, and you can just connect to the red switch wire for 60v to the voltmeter in the throttle.

Light connector depends on the voltage of your headlight. You can get one in 60v led, meant to go on a scooter, which then can connect with its own switch to the battery.

I mean buying from ebay vendors that ship from USA. Then you can ship back something that is not right.

999zip999 said:
To late you should have asked us before you made the purchase have you bought a battery yet maybe we can give you some advice on that before you purchase a battery. The heart of an electric bike.
No you cannot ship a bike a motor or I battery back to China successfully without pain pain and pain.
with a u s a base company at least you go punch him in the nose I doubt you're going to take a slow boat to China or the airplane and look the guy up who screwed you.

It was just the controller nothing else.

:pancake:
dogman dan said:
Where are you? Just what continent I mean. In the USA, you can find controllers meant for scooters on Ebay that should meet your wants. You may have to do some wire splicing, or adapting the plugs to your switch throttle, but you can find the wires you need to connect to on common scooter controllers. There will be a small red wire that goes to your on off switch, three wires to the throttle, and you can just connect to the red switch wire for 60v to the voltmeter in the throttle.

Light connector depends on the voltage of your headlight. You can get one in 60v led, meant to go on a scooter, which then can connect with its own switch to the battery.

I mean buying from ebay vendors that ship from USA. Then you can ship back something that is not right.

I'm in the US. So what your saying is to connect switch wire to both the switch and the light?

Chalo said:
Read more, buy less.

The motor works fine. My bike works fine. Currently have 52v battery. But I can get a 60v battery from a friend, which would make my bike faster. And that's something I want to try. I need to upgrade my controller since the one I'm using has 63v capacitors. But I would like to avoid changing too many things on my bike. So looking for a controller that can work on 60v and would fit my current bike setup that includes lights and a throttle with a switch and voltage display.

Srdjanmax said:
Chalo said:
Read more, buy less.

The motor works fine. My bike works fine. Currently have 52v battery. But I can get a 60v battery from a friend, which would make my bike faster. And that's something I want to try. I need to upgrade my controller since the one I'm using has 63v capacitors. But I would like to avoid changing too many things on my bike. So looking for a controller that can work on 60v and would fit my current bike setup that includes lights and a throttle with a switch and voltage display.
The light connector is the part of your specs that makes finding the right controller a challenge, even without knowing the specs of your lighting system. Without that requirement, you'd have a world of options. What's your budget and soldering skill level?

E-HP said:
Srdjanmax said:
Chalo said:
Read more, buy less.

The light connector is the part of your specs that makes finding the right controller a challenge, even without knowing the specs of your lighting system. Without that requirement, you'd have a world of options. What's your budget and soldering skill level?
Yes I know. That's why I decided to ask for help. The lights on my bike support 60v, at least according to the specs. My budget around $100. My soldering skills, not a beginner but not a pro. I'd say intermediate.

Srdjanmax said:
Yes I know. That's why I decided to ask for help. The lights on my bike support 60v, at least according to the specs. My budget around $100. My soldering skills, not a beginner but not a pro. I'd say intermediate.

I don't know of any controllers that support lights, but don't have an interface (display and switches) for turning them on or off. If you run the bike with lights on whenever you turn on the controller, you may be able to make that work without an interface. KT controllers have a light output, but still need the display and control buttons to turn it on or off, and the current supported is very low, so you would most likely need a relay anyway.
If your lights do support 60V, then your best bet would be to run a switch from the battery and power the lights directly, and not via the controller.

E-HP said:
Srdjanmax said:

I don't know of any controllers that support lights, but don't have an interface (display and switches) for turning them on or off. If you run the bike with lights on whenever you turn on the controller, you may be able to make that work without an interface. KT controllers have a light output, but still need the display and control buttons to turn it on or off, and the current supported is very low, so you would most likely need a relay anyway.
If your lights do support 60V, then your best bet would be to run a switch from the battery and power the lights directly, and not via the controller.
My understanding is that most controllers that support displays require them to be turned on/off and to function. If I could find one without display but with a throttle connection that is 5 or 6 pins. I know in my current controller there's a 6 pin throttle connector. One of the wires caries battery voltage, that's how the voltage is shown on the display. I'm not sure if the current will be sufficient, but maybe that wire can be used for the lights as well?

Srdjanmax said:
E-HP said:
Srdjanmax said:

My understanding is that most controllers that support displays require them to be turned on/off and to function. If I could find one without display but with a throttle connection that is 5 or 6 pins. I know in my current controller there's a 6 pin throttle connector. One of the wires caries battery voltage, that's how the voltage is shown on the display. I'm not sure if the current will be sufficient, but maybe that wire can be used for the lights as well?

As long as the lighting system doesn't draw a huge amount of current (which it shouldn't if it's a 60V lighting system; built in buck converter), then you can piggy back off the on/off switch from the throttle.

E-HP said:
Srdjanmax said:
E-HP said:
Srdjanmax said:

As long as the lighting system doesn't draw a huge amount of current (which it shouldn't if it's a 60V lighting system; built in buck converter), then you can piggy back off the on/off switch from the throttle.

I'll test it with my current controller. If it works, I guess it should work with any controller. Interestingly I've added a small fan inside of my controller using a 5v line. When I added the second fan nothing worked. So we'll see...

Srdjanmax said:
I'll test it with my current controller. If it works, I guess it should work with any controller.

Many controllers with a light lead deliver only 6 or 12 volts to that wire.

Chalo said:
Srdjanmax said:
I'll test it with my current controller. If it works, I guess it should work with any controller.

Many controllers with a light lead deliver only 6 or 12 volts to that wire.
This one delivers battery voltage. I measured it. The current is really low <1mA.

Back