Best bolt on mid-drive motor? Cyc X1 Gen 2 pro vs Cyclone, vs Bafang BBSHD?

mbgjt1

100 W
Hi all

Looking at buying a cheap full suspension bike (e.g. Giant 2021 Trance) and bolting on a powerful mid-drive motor.
Need it to be as light as possible, won't be doing any jumps, will mainly be on the road, on gravel, and some light trails.

Maximum speed will hopefully be 70km per hour, with crazy acceleration from zero to 50kmph.

I will be using 3 x 6s Turnigy high-capacity Li-Po batteries (72V).

So far, the Cyc X1 Gen 2 looks to be the most powerful choice, coupled with the BAC 2000.

Any experience with these types of motors, or any other options you'd recommend?

I'd be looking at 5 to 6kw max power. However, I'm not sure if the drive train will be able to handle this.

Appreciate any advice

Thank you

Hello,

markz said:
Which Cyclone are you interested in?

I was looking at the following:

Cyclone Mid Drive 3000 watt Planetary Ebike KIT
https://lunacycle.com/cyclone-mid-drive-3000w-planetary-kit/

What would you recommend in terms of max power and acceleration? I've heard these motors tend to break drive trains at 4kw+ power, and therefore some people go with a single drive instead of gearing.

cyc gen2 is sitting in my garage like a boat anchor they've been having a lot of trouble trying to get the controller to work with the motor. What another update to download ? I need to find some help.
it's in a Kona kockapoo full suspension.

iOS Important Update

New update available for iOS! Here's what you need to know...

We know there were some issues with the app. So we fixed them! But that's not why this update is important. Since we work so closely with ASI, we regularly update our terms.

As per our latest agreement, there will now be a login page for iOS users on the CYC Motor (BAC) app.

Why? It has come to our attention that our app is being used for other motors which caused problems for those motors, their controllers, & for you. To ensure that only CYC motor users have access to the app, a login page is now required & will be present going forward.

Cyclone is pretty torquey but to double that power will snap chains and bend sprockets, and be pretty hard on the rear hub and drivetrain in general; unless you go single speed and fixed hub! For high power levels you would be better off with a direct drive hub and high amps

You are in a sense comparing apples to oranges in your question. The main thing to consider is if you want a torque sensing setup or can live with PAS. If torque, then CYC. If PAS, them probably BBS. Other considerations are noise... The CYC and cyclone are noisy compared to the BBS. So it really comes down to what you want, not what we say. I have a CYC X1 pro Gen 2 with the smaller BAC 855 controller and it works great and has plenty of power. It will easily pedal up to 30 MPH where I get spun out on the pedals and will top 40 mph on throttle.

Back