Off with the old....on with the new.

Awesome you live where you can ride that many miles before you cut the tire on nails, glass, sharp metal, etc. Several times I had brand new tires slashed in the first 10 miles. Once in a half a mile.

I bought a lot of tires that would last about 2000 miles, once in a while Id actually wear one out.

Did the rear tire wear similarly? Curious if wear is due to front tire alignment, at least in part? My trike fronts seem to wear faster than rear, which is counter to wear on a two wheel bike.

I am the same, but the other part for me is running them flat without a spare tube. But with front hub I have gotten way less flats then with rear.

I have no clue how many miles I ride, but some days its 50km, yesterday was 10km, the day before would have been 60km. I guess if I were to dust off the Cycle Analyst or install a cycle computer I'd know totals.

dogman dan said:
Awesome you live where you can ride that many miles before you cut the tire on nails, glass, sharp metal, etc. Several times I had brand new tires slashed in the first 10 miles. Once in a half a mile.

I bought a lot of tires that would last about 2000 miles, once in a while Id actually wear one out.

ccihon said:
Did the rear tire wear similarly? Curious if wear is due to front tire alignment, at least in part? My trike fronts seem to wear faster than rear, which is counter to wear on a two wheel bike.
I replaced rear (I use a wider tire for comfort) a few months ago. The wider Marathon tires are rated for only 65lbs vs 85 for thinner tires I use in front.

dogman dan said:

Most of my riding is around my community (I use my trike like others use their golf-carts) and local paved bike trails. Lots of paved bike trails and golf cart lanes. I have never had a flat with these tires.....that said I should have tossed these tires at about 2500 miles. The "greenguard" material that provides puncture protection makes for a pretty slippery ride when it becomes exposed.

Running Schwalbe Marathon Plus on the fronts 20 x 1.35. Have over 5000 miles on them. Have 100 miles after rotating them L to R and R to L.
5000a.jpg
5000b.jpg
5000c.jpg

Have tweaked the toe-in and feels close if not right.
Could show the rear tire it was put on when the trike was put together. It does not show this much ware may get another 5000+ out of it.

In my experience, Schwalbe Marathon Plus are extremely long-wearing tires. Good puncture resistance as well. Pay for peace of mind. Not sure of the rolling resistance.

No flats at all?

ZeroEm said:
Running Schwalbe Marathon Plus on the fronts 20 x 1.35. Have over 5000 miles on them. Have 100 miles after rotating them L to R and R to L.
5000a.jpg
5000b.jpg
5000c.jpg

Could show the rear tire it was put on when the trike was put together. It does not show this much ware may get another 5000+ out of it.

markz said:
No flats at all?

ZeroEm said:
5000a.jpg
5000b.jpg
5000c.jpg

I had the same experience with Schwalbe tires, Super Moto’s. Have these tires on two sets of E bikes with thousands of miles and no flats.

Well I also use tire liners with those super Moto tires so I know that’s also helps. Once I was riding at around 40 mph in a 3” lag bolt went in my back tire in between the tire and the liner not causing a flat. At that point I knew tire liners were legit. Now Chalo has pointed out they can cause chafing on the inner tube. In my experience I’ve seen very minor chafing but I think it has to do with the width of your tires versus the width of the tire liner, very important to go wide with the liners. If you get the tire liner out wide, the edge of the liner doesn’t dig into the inner tube as much. This is just my theory since I’ve had no issues with chafing

Also I change my air tubes every 12 months when I use the liners just in case right. Since tubes are cheap I would much rather change it in my living room then on the side of the road, as a preventative measure to make up for any chafing.

Not yet going to put to ride them a while longer just rotated them.
by Eastwood » Oct 21 2021 2:42pm

You sure got your moneys worth out of those old tires!

The rolling resistance on these are good, great at 100psi. Have been running only 80 psi for softer ride. Could tell that the trike peddled easer and rolls better. It was noticeable.
by 99t4 » Oct 21 2021 3:34pm

In my experience, Schwalbe Marathon Plus are extremely long-wearing tires. Good puncture resistance as well. Pay for peace of mind. Not sure of the rolling resistance.

Yes, these narrow tires slide. Going back to the wider 1.5 to get a bit of traction back.
by goatman » Oct 21 2021 5:07pm

good til you nail the brakes hard,lose traction and start sliding

NO flats, yet. (crossing fingers and throwing salt over the shoulder)
by markz » Oct 21 2021 7:28pm

No flats at all?

Back