Ecotric Seagull 48V 1000W Electric Bike

So I am going to start a thread on these bikes since I probably purchased the cheapest one on the internet, not sure why they are all over the internet right now, but there were a few of them on Ebay this weekend for only $250 free shipping...at this price I had to buy it just to see if it would ship to me in the mail!

it looks like the bikes are around $1200 on most websites, I see there is one post from 2014 about this bike so it is definitely not a new design, it is pretty sleek/streamline but I would not consider it good looking IMO

Here is the pic of purchase, they are already shipping it from CA
ecotric seagull.png
ecotric pic.png

After purchasing the bike I have been watching reviews and videos on the bike and they seem fairly decent, but I think they are speed limited to 25mph even though it is 48v

stuff the bike comes with
Packing List
1 x Ecotric Electric Bike
1 x Lithium-Ion Battery
1 x Battery Charger
1 x Kit Box
2 x Pedals
1 x Saddle
1 x Display
2 x Keys
1 x Tool Kit
2 x Reflectors
1 x Owner’s User Manual

thing that interested me during purchase
- bike comes with hydraulic brakes
- bike comes with powered display
- bike comes with decent 2.125" tires
- bike has full size DD rear hub motor
- bike has removable 48v 13ah battery claims only 600 cycles
- has 1-1/8" headtube to upgrade later if needed

things people seem to complain about
- the bike does not work well in the rain(I think the battery terminals are exposed to elements under the battery)

So who thinks I will get scammed and who thinks I will get a bicycle shaped object in the mail?

Has anyone on the forum owned one of these bikes?

What have you heard about this bike?

I have no experience to share other than that one appeared late last year on the local Craigslist online classifieds. Vaporware as I could never get a response from the seller, even as the ad was up for a long time. As you, I am also curious to see what happens.

Looks like a common silverfish battery configuration. All the ubiquitous NYC restaurant delivery bikes (Arrow) use that configuration so there must be a way to waterproof it.

Dielectric grease or Vaseline I know there's some trick that people use I don't know what is more successful for those type of batteries

Hope you used a credit card to buy . Even Paypal can be a painful , timewasting, process.
You will probably get something in the mail from them, but the odds are against it being what you expect.!
I have tried similar bike bargains with deliveries ranging from ,..nothing, cheap jewelery, cheap tools, etc, but never the bargain bike advertised. !

This is already looking sketchy! They now have posted two tracking numbers for this one sale...

One of the tracking numbers says it made it from WA to MA already and is out for delivery today... but the listing said it was shipping from CA

the other tracking number does not even track

999zip999 said:
Cheap. Where is it shipping from want to know when you get it. How did you pay for it do you have some sort of protection PayPal ?

Yes I used Paypal, I already smell a dispute coming!

999zip999 said:
Dielectric grease or Vaseline I know there's some trick that people use I don't know what is more successful for those type of batteries

Thanks for the tip, hopefully I get the chance to even see the bike LOL

This has got to be a scam since now the buyer has cancelled the Ebay listing this is getting shady real quick
ecotrics update.png

So get this mystery...the first tracking number says its getting delivered today and its only 1.1lb... so we know that it is not a bike

but the funny thing is that it says it shipped on the 13th 5 days before I even bought the bike on Ebay on the 18th
ecotric scam 1.1lb.png

now there is another tracking number that is USPS and it will arrive in 10 days, its almost like they are stalling so I wait too long to file a claim...hmm what to do

Ecotric Seagulls go for about $1255 on Amazon, the Ecotric website, the walmart portal, and various resellers, who are basically drop shipping them. I follow them on the facebook forum, as I have a fat tire folder too, and if you deal with Ego-cycles, the importer, you get slow but steady warranty support. The tech support comes from the facebook users, On ebay, both the importer and the drop shippers compete, so I can't say what happens. Shipping is usually quick though,

I wouldn't worry about it unless you get an empty box.

99t4 said:
Doesn't PP give 60 days to file for refund?

I think it is 45 days but I usually try to resolve things thru Ebay before I resort to that

I will see what happens with the second tracking number and then advise!

docw009 said:
Ecotric Seagulls go for about $1255 on Amazon, the Ecotric website, the walmart portal, and various resellers, who are basically drop shipping them. I follow them on the facebook forum, as I have a fat tire folder too, and if you deal with Ego-cycles, the importer, you get slow but steady warranty support. The tech support comes from the facebook users, On ebay, both the importer and the drop shippers compete, so I can't say what happens. Shipping is usually quick though,

I wouldn't worry about it unless you get an empty box.

I technically got nothing in the mail i was home and the UPS truck did not stop at my house, then the Ebay tracking says the 1.1lb package was mysteriously delivered. I went and checked my mailbox just incase and got no packages…we will see if the next tracking number does anything

I had a similar experience with a kit. They reported the item was delivered, but received nothing. Since the scam was obvious, the dispute was resolved quickly by PayPal and I received a refund in a few days.

So far the USPS tracking number in CA seems to have zero movement, says label was created and it never left CA

Don't be surprised if it shows up "delivered" even though you received nothing as mine did.

Looks like Paypal issued me a refund for the full amount. Just another boring Scam thread sorry folks

I was hoping I was going to get lucky and have the cheapest 48v full size Ebike ever. Almost like the time I ordered a full size 72v electric sports motorcycle from Ebay for $1250 and it never shipped either...

So how does this work? Does paypal not give them the payment until it is delivered?
Or do they try and go after the scammer and get their payment back?
How can you make any money off this scam if buyers always get their money back?
Do they count on people not reporting it and just letting them keep their money?

biphaeboh said:
So how does this work? Does paypal not give them the payment until it is delivered?
Or do they try and go after the scammer and get their payment back?
How can you make any money off this scam if buyers always get their money back?
Do they count on people not reporting it and just letting them keep their money?

I am not really sure but I would imagine they could withdraw the funds from their Paypal account after the purchase and use the money IRL, then when the dispute comes thru Paypal would either close their account or charge them for the refund

I don't imagine them doing this regularly without getting paid, Paypal probably weighs the pro's and con's and realizes how much money I spend online and refunds anyway

PayPal keeps the funds escrowed, longer for newer less frequent vendors, AI driven algorithm like everything these days.

on eBay too many returns you get dropped.

Buy only from established vendors thousands of sales 98-99% reputation

and it works better than the third party "platform" side of Amazon and Walmart.

Ali vendors that accept PayPal or credit card also more likely to be OK.

AliPay itself is not so great, but better than direct wire transfer

So if you're buying stuff, say from China, to protect yourself is it better to pay with Pay Pal or credit card?
I've never had a problem, but maybe I've just been lucky.

Depends, many credit cards do not protect much, just unauthorized hacks etc

Ideal is a good credit card shielded by PP as well.

Then if PP rules against you, ask the CC to chargeback

Back