Ebike riding with a speaker and lots and lots of lights?

markz

100 TW
What are your thoughts on those people who ride their ebikes with radio or music just loud enough, not blastingly loud?

The other aspect is about lights, crazy light shows, modest light shows or subtlety led colors or very traditional lights.
Flashing or solid, blinding lights or what.

I ran across this type of ebike rider the other day and again some time ago but I do not know if its the same guy.
The last guy had a few colored lights nothing crazy, the first guy I saw went crazy on the lights and had tunes going at modest volume.

Sound
It got me to thinking, having my wireless speaker Altec Lansing Hydra Jolt while I am riding would do good for busy and packed days on the pathways during the daylight time, or could just do it all the time at night too. Is it appropriate or advisable by you?

Lights
The other aspect I wanted to inquire about is do you go traditional bicycle lighting front and rear
do you throw in an extra traditional light or colored light flashing or not
or do you start adding more
or go all out crazy with the lights

What I want is people to notice me from far away when I am coming up from behind them as we are both going the same way, especially at night. So a very bright light would work that throws light far enough ahead, yet doesnt blind oncoming bicyclists or walkers. Could have a combo solid light and flashing light, still very traditional. People coming towards me, seeing me is a totally different ball game then the ones I come up from behind.

I am mostly a pathway, trail, sidewalk rider, occasional roadway rider.
So I am concerned about the busy packed days during sunlight hours (hence the Metallica playing) and when the sun goes down (music is an option but lights are very important).
Most people actually move aside, but sadly some dont even bother knowing I am there. A guy yesterday literally walked right into me, as he was walking towards me, during daylight hours. I do not know if he was high or drunk or just wanted to go down the embankment to the donut/coffee store but he was carrying a bag of bottles and he did see me (his head was up)
I'm a tall, fat guy on a 20" framed bicycle.

I just bought a Altec Lansing Hydra Jolt from Bestbuy Canada for $50 on a Black Friday sale from reg. $100 and I like it.
It was to get away from the shitty cell phone speaker for my morning routines, but also I wanted something better then the shitty wireless golf ball sized speaker I had that I used for fishing, Jolt will be used for fishing now to.
The Jolt is the size of my Android phone or large hand, perfect size for me to fit in my backpack as the next size up is C$35 more and size is getting to big.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/altec-lansing-hydrajolt-waterproof-bluetooth-wireless-speaker-black-royal-blue/14922859
W6.3 in H2.36 in D3.15 in Weight 300g with 16hrs of battery. A take apart video shows another model having 18650 batteries inside. Some models have wireless phone charging, bigger models jump to 20+hrs. My Jolt has a light show which I am not fond of but it can be turned off, has 4 or 6 or 8 patterns and colors, I have never been an RGB kind of guy.

Both times I ran into the ebiker(s) playing sound, he had extra lights on, not crazy extra lights.
I was thinking of adopting that kind of visual impact rather then traditional rear red light, usually solid not single blinking mode and front flashlight.

I was thinking this for the front
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mini-high-powered-led-spot-work-lamp-2-in-3998324p.html
12V 0.30 - 0.5A

or
https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/lights/sate-lite-1-5-watt-ebike-light.html

and
https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/lights/roxim-rear-r1-elight.html

Then the normal cheap combo packs I buy for front and rear lights.

Then question what extra lights do I want, how extreme or traditional do I go?
colored LED lights, flashing led lights, led strips, an extra light, nothing crazy or straight traditional, bright af lights are expensive.
Is that a thing, a fad, rare or just plain stupid.

Gets dark out at around 5 or 6pm now, not really a winter yet, hardly any snow.
Just revisiting my visual impact to what others see of me while riding.

For me

No
wheel lights.jpg

No
more lights.png

No
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tFyL7VaE7I

Yes
Its an option with traditional lighting of course, or the next one handlebar end lights.
https://youtu.be/sKc2wfpoiIk?t=149

Or a single LED strip down the back of the back pack along with traditional lighting.

Flashy lights and noise is attention seeking douche behavior.

On my current ebike I run an LED motorcycle headlight with a dipped beam and a standard red rear light. It has a motorcycle horn too. That's about it.

A horn is a great idea, maybe have two or three modes. Normal noise level, and more and more noise level ;)

I have a handlebar bell and I make noise (whistling sometimes)
The fat bike made a lot more noise with its 26x4 tires then my 26x2 and 700x45 setup does. I notice a difference with road noise from the tires, I also notice the other users who stop or turn around or you can tell they heard you by moving to the side ever so slightly.

I was thinking a one good front solid light beam, one good rear red solid light beam
+plus an addition something something that I haven't quite figured out yet which is why I am asking.
I want to ride more at night. Noticing I need a different setup.
For really dark nights (moonless), or in unlit parks and darker area's, an extra 2nd front light with switchable mode from flashing to solid.

My main concern as mentioned was coming up to people from behind while they are walking their dog, kids, partner or by their self, at night.

More and more people are half deaf. I've talked to a few runners in person who have said the same thing.

So I will scrap the music noise on my wireless speaker while riding
I will scrap any kind of neon flash show whether minor or extensive flashiness.
I may try out wireless speaker noise on busy weekends when the pathways are packed. To many people are blocking the full width of the pathway, the experienced path users are easy to spot as the 3rd member is on the grass. Zig zagging walkers and bicyclists is another problem. Runners are experienced pathway users always on the right, most with earbuds. Lycra roadies are good pathway users to, I usually get the hardcore ones passing me cause my cruising speed is below their speed. Like the one that called me a cheater :lol:
yet he probably owns and drives an automobile :lol: = The ultimate "CHEATER" :lol: doubt he even rides on chilly days, or any day with snow or ice or frost. FAIR WEATHER WARRIOR as their called.

Grintech rear or any value, normal good, bright rear red solid light all the time, with a diluted, under aroma light of this
https://www.be-electronics.com/product_p/led13.htm
Just to have a slight flicker to the visual is all

Front - $20 Grintech light
with a bright extra light, I'm cheap. I dont want it blinding because other users I have come across its annoying to me and I tell them that as we cross paths in a polite manner. But would would real great coming up from behind people. But I can see a situation where I am coming up from behind on someone yet a bicyclist is coming towards me a bit ahead and have time to pass the person I am coming up from behind on.

khorse said:
Flashy lights and noise is attention seeking douche behavior.

On my current ebike I run an LED motorcycle headlight with a dipped beam and a standard red rear light. It has a motorcycle horn too. That's about it.

markz said:
What are your thoughts on those people who ride their ebikes with radio or music just loud enough, not blastingly loud?

The other aspect is about lights, crazy light shows, modest light shows or subtlety led colors or very traditional lights.
Flashing or solid, blinding lights or what.

I think these must be folks whose parents never made them sit down and be quiet when they were being annoying jerks.

In my world, such nonsense mostly comes from pedicabs, where the annoyance serves as a perceived marketing advantage. If I were in the market for a pedicab ride, I'd definitely seek out one that wasn't noxious like that.

I ran into a beer 12 x seat bicycle thing in a neighborhood next to the down core, where the rich folk live and the yuppies live and hangout in Inglewood (unlike Cali's)
It was a real loud annoyance and it blocked traffic, seen it 2 times. Last was at a keto cafe and it really pissed me off.
I get where your coming from.

I might try these out pic of online basket below - Reflective casings might be needed in which case I will abandoned the idea.
One by one to get a feel for the light spread. Then test how the are with oncoming visuals of others. These guys (Princess Auto aka Horror Freight aka Harbor Freight) have a very easy return policy and I am always go into their brick and mortar store.
Many years ago I bought a 6" bar light, it was good but to large for a handlebar mount.
https://www.princessauto.com/en/6-led-18w-flood-spot-light/product/PA0008816159
I've never been happy with cheap bicycle lights.
Read all the motorcycle light threads here on ES but I am a cheap skate. I will have to go back through those threads.
Just get some good traditional bicycle bright (but not to bright or blinding) light action going on

Chalo said:
I think these must be folks whose parents never made them sit down and be quiet when they were being annoying jerks.

In my world, such nonsense mostly comes from pedicabs, where the annoyance serves as a perceived marketing advantage. If I were in the market for a pedicab ride, I'd definitely seek out one that wasn't noxious like that.

Attachments

• Lights 1.png
    Lights 1.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 1,298
  • lights 2.png
    lights 2.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,298
markz said:

Well blasting loud music I think the majority of people would be annoyed, But playing the music at a modest level isn’t so bad. Personally prefer to just hear the tires while I’m rolling 8)

markz said:
or
https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/lights/sate-lite-1-5-watt-ebike-light.html

Motorcycle LED Dirt Bike... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S512DKW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This light is bright for the size, real bright. The one I have is black but I guess they just have silver ones for now.

I love the bikes that are lit up like Christmas trees, only because they are safer to ride at night. They are easier to see. The low level music is fine, but most bicycle riders with music want to blast it. Two thumbs down on the loud bicycle musicthumbs.JPG, two thumbs up on a brightly lit bicycle at night. :thumb: :thumb:

:D :bolt:

Here too, there is a neon bikers gang, maybe 15 riding only together in the summer nights. Luckily they don’t play music, so it is only funny to see them crossing the park once in a while. We asked if their group has a name but said no. We suggested The Alien Riding Train Society. We were long gone before they figured it out. :D

When the lighting conforms at least nominally to existing standards (white/amber front, red/amber rear, any side lighting conforming to those as well), and isn't blinding to especially oncoming traffic, pedestrians, etc. (unlike numerous automotive headlights these days, mostly aftermarket), I've found it makes riding safer, even in the daytime, when in traffic or crossing it, etc. I've also found that the larger the surface area of the lights, for the same brightness overall, makes the bike/etc more visible in most situations, without causing problems with others being able to see.

Headlights that have a proper horizon line, especially if they're really bright, are much more helpful than those that just put light everywhere (which tend to blind everyone looking at them and create a hazard for others that now can't be seen).

So this is what I do on my bikes/trikes, such as what SB Cruiser has on it. I personally go a bit overkill on the amount of lighting (not it's brightness), but it "guarantees" :lol: that people can't avoid seeing where I am on the road. I also include white downlighting in front and red downlighting in the rear, and on the trike white lighting of the trike's cargo box sides (from lights only visible from below, not to the side), to make teh whole trike more visible.

When the lighting is nonstandard colors, changing colors, flashing, blindingly bright, etc., it's not as helpful. Overly bright point-source lights are also a problem. As long as it isn't distracting others from seeing something *else* they should have seen and thus endangering someone else, it's not as bad, and may be helpful in otherwise problematic situations where the bike would not be seen. I've tried a few things, and seen others, and generally they're ok.

But law enforcement sometimes picks on cyclists with nonstandard lighting colors just because they can, so I'd rather not give them the excuse. I've seen this happen to others more than once in the valley, and I expect it happens other places too. Mostly I think LE would rather have a bike be more visible regardless of which colors are used, than to be barely visible or less, but there's always those that like excuses to harrass others.

In either case, the rider still paying just as much attention to what's going on around them and being prepared to avoid problematic situations whenever possible is still a good idea (too many people rely on others to see them, which they *should* be able to do but can't because...people).

Sound...I wish everyone would turn their sound systems down, or better yet, off, regardless of what they're driving or riding. Many of them do things that make it obvious they can't hear what's going on around them, and might have been able to completely avoid a problem situation if they had heard their surroundings.

It's also annoying at best, especially when it's loud. Not so bad when it's inside an enclosed vehicle with closed windows (as is typical here especially in summer), but on open vehicles or bikes it can be painfully loud to whoever is within a few feet of them.

It's even worse when you're on a quiet bike or MU path, or back streets where there is no traffic, and then along comes Loud Larry on their bike. :(

More than a few around here use systems so loud that the bass is literally shaking the ground and objects around them, sometimes at levels and frequencies that make people grab their heads or bellies and even puke when they happen to be at a focal point of standing waves. These earthquake-level systems aren't that loud inside the vehicles causing the shaking, but the people using them certainly know what they are doing to everyone for literally blocks around them--it's apparently the whole reason for building these systems into the vehicles in the first place.

Some people use their sound systems (or loud pipes, etc) to try to get other traffic around htem to notice they are there, but so many drivers have such loud sound systems that they don't hear anything outside their vehicle (not even emergency vehicle sirens literally adjacent to them) that this doesn't work as well as they want it to.

So if you're using the sound for this, do the same as with lighting--don't rely on others noticing you at all, and pretend you're invisible and silent. You'll be safer. :)

Riding where its crowded requires you to be patient and courteous. Blasting the music might be good for you, but its not for everybody else. Enjoy the music all you like where its not crowded. By that I mean completely out of any towns.

I tried riding normal speeds, like 15-20 mph and ringing a bell as I approached people from behind. It just made them jump into my path. They had no clue they should walk to the right, and step to the right if they move, so I could pass left. Since they don't know the rule, they become a huge hazard to me. Joggers the worst, always have the headphones on. Never know what they will do, and they never ever look first.

The ONLY thing that worked, is to slow the fu--- down. Pass people at 5 mph from behind, and perhaps 10 mph from the front. You have to be slow enough to be safe, I guarantee they won't. They think walking they can do anything they want.

If its crowded, slow down and be nice. Period. Ride the street if you want to go faster. The MUP is not for fast riding, unless its empty.

Re the lights,, thats another thing. Light it up, but not blinding anybody. If you ride fast, like 30 mph, you need at least 200 lumens in a tight beam so you can see ahead enough. Nothing wrong with looking like a Christmas decoration, especially this month. So put the rope lights on all you like.

dogman dan said:
The ONLY thing that worked, is to slow the fu--- down. Pass people at 5 mph from behind, and perhaps 10 mph from the front. You have to be slow enough to be safe, I guarantee they won't. They think walking they can do anything they want.

If its crowded, slow down and be nice. Period. Ride the street if you want to go faster. The MUP is not for fast riding, unless its empty.

Yes that’s it. When I pass people on the Greenway sidewalks etc. I’m only going about 5 mph when passing. Unless I know for sure they seen me and move to the right.

Have you looked at those lights that project a bike lane? Most of them are tail lights but you could probably disable the tail light function and just use the bike lane function and mount it on a handlebar. That might work for letting people know you're coming up behind them at night and how you're planning to go around them. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001273630046.html It's cheap enough to experiment with.

I'm more leery of dogs on 25' retractable leashes, you never know where they're gonna go.

markz said:
A horn is a great idea, maybe have two or three modes. Normal noise level, and more and more noise level ;)

I think the chrome versions would fit with the flashy scheme.
https://www.amazon.com/Vixen-Horns-Cucaracha-Compressor-Complete/dp/B01CO68EIM/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3H7PK3L133PH3&keywords=la+cucaracha+horn&qid=1638295076&sprefix=la+cucaracha%2Caps%2C226&sr=8-5

MattZ said:
Have you looked at those lights that project a bike lane? Most of them are tail lights but you could probably disable the tail light function and just use the bike lane function and mount it on a handlebar. That might work for letting people know you're coming up behind them at night and how you're planning to go around them. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001273630046.html It's cheap enough to experiment with.

I haven't seen any of those things that are very visible in any kind of ambient lighting at all. They do NOT look like they show in any of the pictures I've ever seen. (those are taken with cameras set for long exposure or high light sensitivity, or else just plain composited images). If you're in traffic, it's pretty unlikely they could see it, even if they were looking at the ground behind them (which nobody ever does). If you're on a sidewalk or bike path / MUT, then by the time you are right up on top of a pedestrian/etc, the lines might be past the person you're passing, but they won't have had time to notice them and react to them by the time you are actually passing them, unless you are going the same speed they are.

I'd go with a good loud bike bell and a flashing bright headlight pointed at the ground (specifically to light up the ground only, just so people in front of you that are not looking back or paying attention on paths/sidewalks) on the same point as these lines along with these things if you want to be more sure of getting their attention. The lines probably wont' be enough. But you can experiment and find out--it doesn't usually hurt to try new things. :)

In traffic or any other situation where people will be (should be!) paying attention to things around them, then if you want people to know you are coming up from behind and are going to go around them, use the universal communication method for that--good bright visible amber turn signals that stick out far enough to each side of your center headlight (like the distance to the ends of the handlebars) for people to easily tell at a glance which side is blinking and thus which way you are going to go.

Even small DOT motorcycle signals are better than anything like those "lane lasers". Or those LED automotive headlight/taillight "accent" strips like I show here
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1689176#p1689090
Some even have built in blinking.

They're simple, cheap, universal, and more effective at communicating intent than anything else on the road.

Personally, I find people playing music on bike/nature paths or in the woods(particularly camping) to be obnoxious. Those are times when I think a lot of people(most?) are trying to enjoy a little peace in their lives. Certainly not all, but a lot. Someone coming along with music going ruins that for everyone.

I do completely agree with some sort of noise making thing to warn people when approaching from behind. I find a regular bicycle bell to be adequate. When approaching someone, I slow down from "ebike" speeds down to regular bike speeds, and a bike bell has done the trick so far. Of course there's always the idiot with headphones or just not paying attention, but that's on them. I can't make someone be aware of obvious surroundings. I'm not gonna punish everyone else with a really loud thing just because of the idiots, though. If they're startled because they had headphones in or weren't paying attention enough to notice someone ringing a bell at them, that 9/10 people notice, that's their problem.

There's a style of bell available, new to my area but will known in bear country, that makes a lot of sense to me. It's a passive jingle bell that can be switched on or off at will. The faster you go, the noisier it gets. If you're gifted with exceptionally smooth riding surfaces, it might not be busy enough, I suppose.

Here's one example:
https://www.mtbbell.com/

This is so much more tolerable for others than hearing some flatulating dingdong's idea of music.

Moderate music is ok, it's better if you play what I like to hear. Don't care to play it myself like the natural sounds of riding and anything approaching.

Bike lighting use a two tier approach. Have rechargeable for flashing front white light and red rear they are multi mode. Use these all the time

Then have a 72V to 12V stepdown from trike battery for a light circuit that plugs in no switch as it is not used much. Consist of motorcycle fog lights for the front head lights and Red 12v trailer/running light for the rear and 4 tiny dim blue lights (interior car lights) that point on the wheels. All led and does not draw much power.

Don't ride at night very much and only in a group. Friends have Christmas lights on there wheels it's all entertaining. Like when people light up their bikes no matter how wild it is. Really draws attention and makes it safer.

I believe in the front headlight a basic bike Bell and a rear light. I a loud Bell or corn that's battery operated for about a year and a half now and I haven't put it on it's loud and obnoxious. If you play music use headphones and turn it down to a level where you can hear people around you. I've put 50,000 miles on my bike in the last nine years and at times I have a sixth sense or I feel people coming up from behind or on the side kind of like a pressure difference feeling them coming up on me. but like to go under the radar and not have a big flashy thing for someone to hit. You know how many police cars on the side of the road with their lights on get hit.

once I see rider in front of me with the headphones I really slow down.
chances that he/she will hear me are rather slim.
I agree pathways are not for fast riding unless very early in the morning, summer.
still the biggest danger here in Calgary is from performance/sport bikes ridden by lycras - they primary goal is NOT to slow down.
with pathways falling apart, cracking, trenches accross, tree roots destroying paths lycras ruin their expensive bikes more and more.
simple
in Calgary there is less and less streaches of pathways where you can ride fast.
the same goes for many NAmerican cities.

Driving around with a JBL Flip, because it sit very good in the bottle cage. Most people here use earbuds and fat earphones, most are grabbed by the police and penalized. So the speaker, especially cold and rain resisting is a good choice in northern germany.
Maybe i will place some more lights on the bike, at the moment the headlight is above normal but within StVO range.

Solderbro

You could use wireless earphones wearing a hat to hide them if you want the transmitting and rx frequencies that close to your ear and brain the jbl is cool if its not to loud.

Solderbro said:
Driving around with a JBL Flip, because it sit very good in the bottle cage. Most people here use earbuds and fat earphones, most are grabbed by the police and penalized. So the speaker, especially cold and rain resisting is a good choice in northern germany.
Maybe i will place some more lights on the bike, at the moment the headlight is above normal but within StVO range.

Solderbro

This should get you noticed :mrgreen:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403146984521?mkevt=1&toolid=10001&campid=5336250274&siteid=0&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&mkcid=1&customid=d65th0h9g5jhdw6ny4nj2nnCK1SEpWAG

Attachments

• 2022-01-06 16_10_15-12V 300DB Super Loud Train Horn Waterproof for Motorcycle Car Truck SUV Bo...png
    2022-01-06 16_10_15-12V 300DB Super Loud Train Horn Waterproof for Motorcycle Car Truck SUV Bo...png
    791.8 KB · Views: 767
Back