Surprise: Lead Acid batteries

LewTwo

1 MW
People will sell anything. There is a company in Florida that currently has a E-Bike for sale that is equipped with Lead-Acid batteries (48 Volt, 12 Ah). I thought "Lead was Dead"???

https://youtu.be/OJs79350li8

FWIW, that bike, except for not being gold, and except for having a rear rack (the ones I saw did not), looks exactly (not just similar!) like some bikes I used to see a couple ride around the shopping center I worked at back a decade ago or so.

I don't know if they were LA or not, but probably were, if this one is.

New old stock I bet. Got them in an auction for 10 cents on the dollar.

Lead still a viable option for those who need a 4 mile ride each day. For 6 miles, not so great.

Here it is still pretty common. They advertise a low price but once in the store, they tell you SLA is sh*t and there is an extra to pay for quality batteries.

Since I have a credit card, when I choose to add a device to my life, I can pay a little extra to get the upgrade.

For instance, when the gasoline mower I bought for $130 died after about ten years of abuse, I decided to buy an EGO battery-operated mower, and I even paid an extra $100 to get the deluxe model with larger battery and powered front wheels. The final price was near $600...

Years ago when I had kids at home, I would never consider spending that kind of money on a mower.

My first project on endless sphere was a DIY friction drive, because I was renting a second story apartment, and bringing the entire bike inside was impractical. Now, I own a house.

Sooo...I sympathize with anyone who is struggling with every dollar. For flat land, the Ezip brushed drive at 36V of lead acid is a viable ebike.

If the owner decides that the miles saved on the car, and gas saved is "worth it" financially...I would then suggest they start saving up for a 56V EGO electric lawn mower battery for when the day arrives and the lead acid has gone the way of the dinosaurs...

If a couple wanted to eliminate one of their cars, because one of the owners works nearby (*10 miles?), AND...they have a credit card..the savings from the car payment and insurance costs can justify an excellent $3,000 electric cargobike.

Probably what will seal the deal for most people is the "high quality beverage holder.

2old said:
Probably what will seal the deal for most people is the "high quality beverage holder.
Just right for carrying the thing that cost you your driver's license.

[youtube]BxwZ4RuTCjs[/youtube]

LewTwo said:
People will sell anything. There is a company in Florida that currently has a E-Bike for sale that is equipped with Lead-Acid batteries (48 Volt, 12 Ah). I thought "Lead was Dead"???

Don't forget friend, a lead acid pack means you have the potential to charge it with a car battery charger instead of a lithium charger and electronics the average person doesn't understand. Plus, if you do common mass-produced long-drain batteries, that could be a major selling point- easily replaced on the cheap, get $5 back from a recycler.

The price point is much cheaper for the uneducated consumer.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
LewTwo said:

Don't forget friend, a lead acid pack means you have the potential to charge it with a car battery charger instead of a lithium charger and electronics the average person doesn't understand. Plus, if you do common mass-produced long-drain batteries, that could be a major selling point- easily replaced on the cheap, get $5 back from a recycler.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
LewTwo said:

48 volt lead acid battery chargers may be available for gold carts but I bet that they ain't common or cheap.

If the batteries are the same voltage you could put those batteries in parallel and charge with a 12v charger, just take you 4x as long or just buy four 12v battery chargers new or used.

calab said:
If the batteries are the same voltage you could put those batteries in parallel and charge with a 12v charger, just take you 4x as long or just buy four 12v battery chargers new or used.
Well if the picture of the battery structure they have is accurate (a valid question considering this source) then I doubt that is very feasible. Also just noticed it uses 22 by 2.125 inch tires (RadWagon 4 use 22 by 4 inch tires).

Battery 48V Lead Acid.jpg

even stranger is the nomenclature of the controller:

• Features & Specifications:
    Charger: 48V2AH
    Net Weight: 50KG/110LBS
    Wheelbase: 1050mm/41LBS
    Climbing >20 degree
    Net Weight: 50kg/110LBS
    Tire: 22*2.125inch
    Charging Time: 4-8 hour
    Full charge Travel Distance: 21 Miles Per Charge
    Dimensions: 1770mm×340mm×1080mm/1099"x211"x671"
    Battery: 48V12AH lead acid Battery
    Motor: 500W Brushless DC Motor
    Controller: big 48V6 pipes controller
    Brake: Front Drum Brake,Rear Drum brake
    Shock absorber: Spring shock absorption

Same old lies as the lead days in the specs of course.

21 mile range, provided of course you pedal without power the first 15. Or ride 5 mph with power, pedaling. Very hard to hold a throttle in that low a setting.

Lead is still around in scooters, or at least the zillion chargers they made are. 15 bucks for a 48v, 2 amp, lead acid charger on ebay. So the charger is not a problem. Likely they come with one anyway.

The battery is big and heavy. The price will be much cheaper.
It's not like riding a bicycle. There is no riding experience.

Back