26 inch - 4" fat tire build for sand

gobi

10 kW
Since my uber/bafang build on 26 inch wheel, I have been reading a bunch here and day dreaming of a fat tire bike.

Does anyone ride a 20 inch fat tire bike?
I am 5'9" but my girls are 5" and 5'3"

Will a 20 inch wheeled bike be comfortable for me, most we will use it will be a couple of hours a day. mostly stop and go.

I want to build something for the beach/sand dunes here in West Michigan. Going fast is not the aim here.

Hub - Should I go for a Geared 8T front hub?

Are there laced kits out there?

**I edited the thread subject line, I had a chance to try out a 20 inch bike today and what the bike was I thinking, a regular 20 inch will never work for me.

Instead of chasing the unicorn, my focus on will be on a workable solution for this spring.

Update 2/8:
From the suggestions here I have gone with a 26inch, 4 inch tire fat bike.

Update 3/11:
Bafang hit the sheesh list, I had ordered a laced kit from Euno, the person on the phone never gave me a straight answer as to stock I waited 1 month and 1 day and cancelled my order, I asked for full refund, let's see how long they take to refund my amex.

That leaves leaf 1500w motor, I like that they sell a laced kit and the shipping is not that bad as QS Motor on Ali.

The list:
1. Mongoose Dolomite 26inch red - sourced from Amazon, it is already here thanks to my free 1 month prime.
2. Rear Hub - Leaf 1500w rear kit [Bafang g062 unlaced [feel through, I cancelled my order today 3/11) ]
3. Battery - 48v 15ah downtube used battery off jehu, actual capacity might suck, going to sure it later this week.
4. Tire - Chaoyang Sand Storm Street tires from Italy (received 3 tires, they are VERY thin tires)
5. Headlight - ?
6. Seat syspension - santour (thanks Chalo for feedback on these on a different thread)
7. Controller - probably be the factory one that comes with the Leaf kit
8. Display - Leaf kit

gobi said:
Does anyone ride a 20 inch fat tire bike?
You should not have any problem if you are looking at an OEM E-bike. They nearly all come from China (or somewhere else in SEA) and nearly all of them are designed for short people. I underlined "nearly" because there may be one out there designed for a full grown adult (6 feet or more) but I have yet to find it.

Three popular brands with 20 inch fat tire bikes are:
Rad Power Bikes: https://www.radpowerbikes.com/
Juiced Bikes: https://www.juicedbikes.com/
Himiway: https://himiwaybike.com/

LewTwo said:
You should not have any problem if you are looking at an OEM E-bike. They nearly all come from China (or somewhere else in SEA) and nearly all of them are designed for short people. I underlined "nearly" because there may be one out there designed for a full grown adult (6 feet or more) but I have yet to find it.

Three popular brands with 20 inch fat tire bikes are:
Rad Power Bikes: https://www.radpowerbikes.com/
Juiced Bikes: https://www.juicedbikes.com/

[/quote]
SlowCo said:

Juiced and Rad both look good, but the price tag is more than I want to spend.

This bike won't see a lot of action plus there is a chance it might get stolen, my girls leave bikes in the driveway a lot and stuff seems to walk away from my driveway.

My 5 ft tall is only 11 years old, I am pretty sure she will not be 6 ft tall in a few years. So a mini bike will be serve all of us well.

I like the mini bike concept,

Is this bike a good candidate to do a front geared hub conversion?

https://kent.bike/products/20-genesis-boys-rock-blaster-fat-tire-mountain

On the other hand, is it possible to buy a frame like the one used to build this bike? Juice Scrambler
[typos edited]
CityScrambler-Red-RtSide.jpg

Steven Sheng said:
This is my fat ebike.
IMG_20220108_131802.jpg

Nice, can you please provide details of the bike?

I hear you on the fit concern, I need to find a comparable bike and ride it.

gobi said:
Is this bike a good candidate to do a front geared hub conversion?
https://kent.bike/products/20-genesis-boys-rock-blaster-fat-tire-mountain
Many folks here will tell you not to put a front hub motor on a suspension fork. I happen to be a fan of front hub motors and I have put them on suspension forks. However I would not recommend it for a teenager. They tend to be hard on their bikes ... riding down steps, hopping curbs, rough terrain, etc. That kind of abuse is very likely to fracture the front dropouts on a cast aluminum fork.
(that is assuming it is a a aluminum fork ... unless otherwise noted it is fairly safe bet)

gobi said:
On the other hand, is it possible to buy a like this bike? Juice Scrambler
Of course, but I got the impression that you did not like the price (about US$1,700) ???
https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/scrambler?variant=31631040839744
I suspect anything similar (style, size, configuration and quality) will be in the same price range.

That said the "Folders" do tend to cost a bit less.
Do a search on Amazon for "minibike electric".
You will find a wide range of styles, size, price and quality :?

LewTwo said:
However I would not recommend it for a teenager. They tend to be hard on their bikes ... riding down steps, hopping curbs, rough terrain, etc. That kind of abuse is very likely to fracture the front dropouts on a cast aluminum fork.
(that is assuming it is a a aluminum fork ... unless otherwise noted it is fairly safe bet)

gobi said:
On the other hand, is it possible to buy a like this bike? Juice Scrambler
Of course, but I got the impression that you did not like the price (about US$1,700) ???
https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/scrambler?variant=31631040839744
I suspect anything similar (style, size, configuration and quality) will be in the same price range.

That said the "Folders" do tend to cost a bit less.
Do a search on Amazon for "minibike electric".
You will find a wide range of styles, size, price and quality :?

Girls are pretty gentle riders, the young one will hop a side walk once in a while.

When I built the first bike with the uber front hub, you guys rang home the importance of a steel front fork. I made sure I bought a donor bike with a steel front hub.

I am not sure about the Kent 3 inch tire, 20 inch fat bike. I am looking at used ones for now.
I need to get the bike first so I can confirm the fork opening width.

I was hoping to put one together with a geared front hub. I am inclined to the front hub as I have no experience with converting a rear hub.

There are few "used" rad bikes for sale locally, but their asking price is near abouts a new one.

Will it be possible to do an eco build of a 3inch fat bike?

Depends of the sand. Loose surfaces like larger diameter wheel just as much as wider-softer tires. Cutting on the wheel size might not be your best option, unless the sand is compact.

gobi said:
There are few "used" rad bikes for sale locally, but their asking price is near abouts a new one.
LOL ... I have seen people set prices higher than new ... amazing what some people think their used stuff is worth :lol:

gobi said:
I was hoping to put one together with a geared front hub. I am inclined to the front hub as I have no experience with converting a rear hub.
Will it be possible to do an eco build of a 3inch fat bike?
Do you have experience lacing a hub into a wheel with spokes?
If not then you are looking at trying acquire a pre-built front wheel (aka conversion kit).
The pickings can be slim for a 20 inch, fat tire, front motor wheel.

Those are available:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232043038494 (Direct Drive)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153703683790 (way over priced IMO)

You might be able to get someone like Grin https://ebikes.ca/
or a local bike shop to build a wheel for you but I doubt that you would like the price for that as well (I suspect I would not either).

You might do better considering a baloon tire:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175090723625
Just a thought ...

LewTwo said:
gobi said:
LOL ... I have seen people set prices higher than new ... amazing what some people think their used stuff is worth :lol:

When the manufacturer doesn't have any to sell, those who do can ask what they like.

Chalo said:
LewTwo said:
gobi said:

When the manufacturer doesn't have any to sell, those who do can ask what they like.
According to Rad's web site, they do have bikes in stock and ready to ship.
Of course that excludes some of the higher end models (i.e. Hyper Scorpion) which is "due in march".

LewTwo said:
Those are available:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/232043038494 (Direct Drive)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153703683790 (way over priced IMO)

You might be able to get someone like Grin https://ebikes.ca/
or a local bike shop to build a wheel for you but I doubt that you would like the price for that as well (I suspect I would not either).

You might do better considering a baloon tire:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/175090723625
Just a thought ...

Used bike - they can ask for the sky and I stay away from those.

Lacing - I have never done it but learning and trying it out is half the fun, so can take a stab at it, I missed a bike wheel stand on craigslist.

Balloon wheel - what is this? rigid wheel?

Hubs on ebay - How do I figure out the winding count? The descriptions are so vague, I need a high winding count for low speed fun, correct? so a 8T to 10T?

Geared - I am 212 lb, so a geared hub would be desired?

Controller - I have in my stash:
1. KT sinewave with display I bought during my first build from pswpower
2. I have flipsky mini and flipsky sinewave mini controller (pricey things)
3. Generic ebay sinewave controller (was 25$)

Reverse engineering Juiced Scrambler -
If I can get the parts similar to the Juiced Scrambler, I can put together a mini fat bike like it as I have the battery and controller.

What wheels/tire are those?
From what I have read, they use an overvolted bafang hub? which hub?

Donor bike- any clue which new donor bike I can use?
The used 3 inch kent bike I found sold already, it is 6F outside, who in the right mind buys a bike in peak winter ;)

gobi said:
Lacing - I have never done it but learning and trying it out is half the fun, so can take a stab at it, I missed a bike wheel stand on craigslist.
OK ... if you are doing a front wheel then you can use an used fork for a stand.

gobi said:
Balloon wheel - what is this? rigid wheel?
The 'old' fat tire commonly used on beach cruisers... they were/are between two and three inches wide.

gobi said:
Hubs on ebay - How do I figure out the winding count? The descriptions are so vague, I need a high winding count for low speed fun, correct? so a 8T to 10T?

Geared - I am 212 lb, so a geared hub would be desired?
Yep, those descriptions are vague as are most descriptions from Chinese vendors. I will leave it to someone else more versed in direct drive motors to answer that.

gobi said:
Reverse engineering Juiced Scrambler -
If I can get the parts similar to the Juiced Scrambler, I can put together a mini fat bike like it as I have the battery and controller.

I have a feeling that you are setting yourself up for a difficult task sourcing pieces parts ... but hey, I have been wrong before.

gobi said:
Donor bike- any clue which new donor bike I can use?
The used 3 inch kent bike I found sold already, it is 6F outside, who in the right mind buys a bike in peak winter ;)
No idea ... and that is why I do not live in the frozen northern areas.

LewTwo said:
I have a feeling that you are setting yourself up for a difficult task sourcing pieces parts ... but hey, I have been wrong before.

[/quote]

Valid point, I have not forgotten the bafang build.

I found a fat tire bike alibaba from a post here and reached out the seller:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/48V-500W-20-inch-10-4AH_60767724531.html

$1200 shipped to my door.

Can I do it better and cheaper?

1. Bafang g06 rear hub with thicker wire/plug - $250
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000169793368.html

175 mm drop out width, is this the regular fat tire rear drop out width?
I am inclining towards 24 inch tires, 20 inch mini bike frames might work and looks like finding them will be harder then adding to my hen's teeth collection.

2. 24 inch fat tire bike - $300 - going for all steel with rigid front fork (we don't want sheesh to break)

3. Beefier wheels - ?? Do I need beefier wheels? can I use the factory wheel? what is a beefier wheel? can you guys point me what is popular please.

4. Tires - ?? - I see kendas on OEM bikes, I am guessing I am looking at offroad tires. What do you guys have on your bikes?

5. Lacing to wheel? - new Spokes - ??

I updated the thread and I am going for a 24 fat tire bike (probably rigid front fork).

1. Hub - I bought the Bafang g062 rear hub off aliexpress, It should be here in a few weeks.

2. Lacing - I will have to lace this to the wheel, I have an extra fork, I can use that to lace, do I need any additional gauges?

3. Spoke - do I have to wait till I have a bike to measure to get the shorter spokes?

4. Front lights - I really like the cool motorbike round lights that some ebikes use, I need one that is compatible with a 48v system??

gobi said:
3. Spoke - do I have to wait till I have a bike to measure to get the shorter spokes?

You need the rim so you can measure the ERD, unless you know the specs.
For the motor, you could find the diagram for the motor if you search online. Would look something like this:
51kHYx1cwcL._AC_.jpg

Then plug the values into one of the online spoke calculators. Grin has one, and most of the spoke makers do too.

Here is my solution.....I already built a 26" fat-tire woods&sand offroad Ebike for me.
Wife wants in on the fun, so I built her a 24" Ebike for Florida forest jeep trails and fire roads (some are loose/deep sand)
This 24" build hit all the marks for intended purpose.
Hardtail frame (needed a good size triangle for big battery/electronics package, front air-shock. Air shock seat-post.
Only 47lbs, 1000WH 12S pack, 800w maximum (I can dial it up to 1000W).
Geared for 17MPH. Torquey....pulls strong through Florida sand without digging/bogging in.
For my headlight I bought a 12V motorcycle spot light (three modes....dim/bright/strobe). I use a DC/DC buck converter rated for 60V dialed in for 12V output for lights).
Rides great!

663949342.jpg

gobi said:
I updated the thread and I am going for a 24 fat tire bike (probably rigid front fork).

The range of tire choices is pretty slim for wider 24" tires, so know that ahead of time. I tried a 24x3 plus sized tire that turned out to be defective and exploded, so I'm staying away from that brand for sure. I'm running 24x2.8 now and they are literally only a tenth of an inch narrower on my rims. I tried them on sand yesterday and while they rode over loose sand OK, they were a bit squirrelly in turns, so probably takes getting used to.

Nike 6 sm.jpg

E-HP said:
gobi said:

You need the rim so you can measure the ERD, unless you know the specs.
For the motor, you could find the diagram for the motor if you search online. Would look something like this:
51kHYx1cwcL._AC_.jpg

Then plug the values into one of the online spoke calculators. Grin has one, and most of the spoke makers do too.

Looks you posted the exact motor spec as the one I bought,

Which value points to the # of windings?
Some of the labels are pretty cryptic. :-(

pullin-gs said:
Here is my solution.....I already built a 26" fat-tire woods&sand offroad Ebike for me.
Wife wants in on the fun, so I built her a 24" Ebike for Florida forest jeep trails and fire roads (some are loose/deep sand)
This 24" build hit all the marks for intended purpose.
Hardtail frame (needed a good size triangle for big battery/electronics package, front air-shock. Air shock seat-post.
Only 47lbs, 1000WH 12S pack, 800w maximum (I can dial it up to 1000W).
Geared for 17MPH. Torquey....pulls strong through Florida sand without digging/bogging in.
For my headlight I bought a 12V motorcycle spot light (three modes....dim/bright/strobe). I use a DC/DC buck converter rated for 60V dialed in for 12V output for lights).
Rides great!

663949342.jpg

How did you figure out what the motor was geared for?

Ah, the triangle, it seem the newer bike design seems to make the triangle smaller and smaller.
Air shock seat post - wow - what make and model is it?

Dc buck for 12v, gotcha, I found a led 48v headlight on amazon for $16, I will post a link later,

E-HP said:
gobi said:

The range of tire choices is pretty slim for wider 24" tires, so know that ahead of time. I tried a 24x3 plus sized tire that turned out to be defective and exploded, so I'm staying away from that brand for sure. I'm running 24x2.8 now and they are literally only a tenth of an inch narrower on my rims. I tried them on sand yesterday and while they rode over loose sand OK, they were a bit squirrelly in turns, so probably takes getting used to.

Nike 6 sm.jpg

Winter in Michigan results in cabin fever for most of us and we start to lose connection with reality.

I sat down with a starbucks pikes with extra half and half and took stock as to HOW MUCH I will actually ride this bike on the sand.

So I looked back to 2021, I went to beach 0x times, but we did spend a spend of time next to the beach and stayed in the concrete walkway [D rode her escooter on the walkway].

Then I started to day dream again and started to make plans of camping at sleeping bear dune national park and ride my fat bike there.

I am chunky and I think I need 4 inchs to stay afloat. :)

But I wonder if getting a hybrid tire (is there such a thing?) for mixed riding might be best choice,
I will wear out the factory tire first (which might take me a few years) and then upgrade the tire.

E-HP, what brand/model of tire did you end up going with?

I have michelins on all my vehicles except the van.

Chalo said:
LewTwo said:
gobi said:

True, my buddy in nocal had to drive out 100 miles to buy at subaru at MRSP, the local dealers wanted 5k above sticker.

But I see a bunch of used trucks/suvs listed at MORE than MRSP for used one with 20k miles :shock:

I watch listing on FB and craigs, I see people buy stuff selling at good price and turn around relist them at a higher price.

Milwaukee was some great combo tool deals right around/before Christmas, people bought em up and listed them on FB as tool only.

gobi said:
E-HP, what brand/model of tire did you end up going with?

I got them off of eBay for $10. CST Fringe 24x2.8" Shipping was $15, so I bought 3 to spread out the fixed shipping charge, so they came to around $15 each delivered.

On smooth hard surfaces like concrete, they have a high pitched buzz from the knobs. But never annoying like the other tires. Quiet otherwise. Slippery on sand, and a little bit on light gravel over harder surfaces; good traction on asphalt, dirt, and mud. Not feeling any flexing when cornering, and the rounder profile makes it easy to lean pretty deep in a couple of corners riding up to my house. I did a bunch of lateral transitions between dirt, pavement and sidewalks, and few railroad tracks, today and they handled everything pretty well.

So far they seem decent. Construction looks good. I'll see how they wear, but I probably should have bought 4 for the price.

Back