Transporting heavy ebikes - show me your solution

gobi

10 kW
I have a full size long bed truck and I usually lay my regular bikes down on the bed on their sides and just drive avoiding hard brakes and turns.

I am sure I can lift the heavy ebikes on to the truck bed, it is kida high.

Should I look into motorbike hitch carriers for 2 bikes?

For my larger e bikes, the swagman hitch mount rack was the thing. You could put the front wheel in the loop, then lift the heavy hub motor rear wheel in without lifting the whole bike.

I built longtails just a bit shorter than most cargo bikes just so they would still fit, and also fit a bus bike rack.

For monster cargo bikes, a trailer with ramp.

An option, if you don't need the room for other cargo, would be to install something like they use for carrying dirt bikes. Could be bolted directly to the bed of the truck, or assembled as a "slide in" to be inserted as necessary.

Whatever you do, please consider those following you if you decide to go with a hitch mounted rack. People can have a difficult time seeing your truck's tail lights, especially if you cover the bikes. Good racks will have their own lights to avoid that issue.

gobi said:
I have a full size long bed truck and I usually lay my regular bikes down on the bed on their sides and just drive avoiding hard brakes and turns.

I am sure I can lift the heavy ebikes on to the truck bed, it is kida high.

Should I look into motorbike hitch carriers for 2 bikes?

You might want to consider loading ramps and tie downs. If your bikes have walk assist, that could help during loading. Then use tie downs to keep the bikes upright but secure. There are youtube videos on tips for loading motorcycles using loading ramps, and some of those techniques can be adapted to ebikes. For ebike weights, you could probably get some decent ramps at around the cost of a hitch carrier.

This is just an example, but at least it shows how the bike goes up one ramp, and while you walk up the other to steady the bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuwtN_gQTRs

You could consider getting a ramp for your truck bed. Definitely helps if you can back toward a hill. Then you could stand the E bikes up like you would motorcycles. You can make wheel chocks out of 2 x 4. Could extend the 2 x 4 from one side all the way to the other to keep it from moving.

Or get a 500 pound cargo Rack for your trailer hitch. You could use a small ramp. Might be easier than trying to get the bikes all the way in the truck bed since it’s much higher

Here’s the cargo rack I use when I’m carrying both my e. bikes. This trailer is a tank because it’s steel it’s super heavy. For some it takes two people to install but if you’re fairly strong you can manage it yourself, it’s around 80 pounds. Maybe get a bucket to sit it on to help guide it into the trailer hitch.

I’ll post a picture of mine I built some wheel chock on it.

Tow Tuff 62 Inch 500 Pound Capacity Steel Cargo Carrier Trailer Car or Truck Rear Bumper Bike Rack, Fits All 2 Inch Receivers, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RFKBEO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_6WEJRVGM1ET2VMMWDT0C

It comes with tire holders already but I added the extra support just in case because I’ve been on some 6 Hour Rd. trips with the bikes.

Attachments

• 7A184F1A-201A-4CB4-8CC6-26959A6F1AFC.jpeg
    7A184F1A-201A-4CB4-8CC6-26959A6F1AFC.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2,214
Bikes are vehicles. They don't need to go in other vehicles unless they're broken.

Chalo said:
Bikes are vehicles. They don't need to go in other vehicles unless they're broken.

Well depends on what you’re doing. If you’re traveling across multiple states and you wanna take your E bike to be able to explore.

Yeah I plan to transport my ebikes to ride out of town areas, anywhere from 40 miles out of town to across the country.
A truck would be nice but fuel prices are high, a mid size suv is nice and would need a hitch with platform to roll bikes onto and strap down, same goes for any car but I would get a replacement license plate to attach to the platform that has a light to plug into the hitch connector. I see to many people driving around with an obstructed license plate, probably a big fine and it requires a light.

dogman dan said:
For my larger e bikes, the swagman hitch mount rack was the thing. You could put the front wheel in the loop, then lift the heavy hub motor rear wheel in without lifting the whole bike.

I built longtails just a bit shorter than most cargo bikes just so they would still fit, and also fit a bus bike rack.

I've got a Swagman Hitch Rack hanging in my garage free to anyone who wants to pick up. Not shipping or any of that.

Tucson AZ, send me a PM if you want to pick it up.

Chalo said:
And I do use bike as primary vehicle almost every day.

But around here there have been many regional RR that have been repurposed as bike trails thru scenic stunning areas. They are a little too far to reach and ride and return (for the whole family), hence the necessity to transport the bikes for a day's recreational fun and enjoyment.

calab said:
I see to many people driving around with an obstructed license plate, probably a big fine and it requires a light.
I see a lot around here doing just that to:
1. Cross bridge (major time saver) that they are not normally allowed to use (access limited to certain vehicles)
2. Avoid paying tolls.
3. Getting ready to commit crimes.

You are a good citizen calab.

Good ramp may be all he needs. He asked for how you carry heavy e bikes, and the swagman is how I used to do it when I had the subaru. Later I got a van with a 10 foot cargo area. Carried bikes or motorcycles. Now I have a truck, and ride motorcycles up the ramp into it.

Cool thing about the swagman though, is it does leave the truck bed free for other things, or can be put on a more efficient car with a light hitch mount.

Re the plates, nobody in NM cares if you have a plate or not. Don't try that in Arizona.

Overclocker said:
vcarrier.jpg

wheels are dangling in the air. the pedals are just U-bolted (w/ nylock nuts) to the plate that the bike is sitting on. the ratchet strap prevents seesawing

I like the bike :thumb:
What frame is that?

Chalo said:

I live in a little town with lot of stay home parents, riding in town is VERY stressful, I have been near run-my-chunky-azz-over situations when I have out on my walk/jogs.

Most of lower Michigan spend more time in upper Michigan than they do at home during summer months. My girls and I like to go to the Beach town of Muskegon and spend time there, it is only 40 mins away but all interstate at 70 mph.

Later I plan on riding the bike trails around Lake Michigan.

I wish I could ride it around in town.

Triketech said:
dogman dan said:

I've got a Swagman Hitch Rack hanging in my garage free to anyone who wants to pick up. Not shipping or any of that.

Tucson AZ, send me a PM if you want to pick it up.
Danke,
I have not been AZ in 20 years or so (road trip, flew in many times), but I planned on driving to Socal before Covid, not sure if I will be coming over there this summer, but I appreciate you offering, very generous of you.

Hitch carriers -

https://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-receiver-mount-aluminum-motorcycle-carrier-62837.html

something like this, but it is too bulky, also where am I going to store it during winter months, which is around 9 months in MI :shock:

In bed storage:
hmm, this seems to be best option, but how do I load the bikes?

1. Ramp and walk it up with the electric option,
@E-HP, I am not sure if my controller have walk option, I have a KT from psw in my 1st bike. I am going to look into this,

Loading:
Raise front wheel on to bed and then rear wheel, being a single dad, I am by myself self half the time, so I need to figure out if this is a 2 person job or just one person can do it.

How about one of these to lift the bike on to the bed?

https://www.harborfreight.com/pickup-truck-bed-crane-1000-lb-capacity-60732.html

PRW said:
When I had a truck, I used to transport two heavy ebikes like this...

$_1.jpeg.jpg

the wires don't get pinched? what did you use to protect the truck? looks good.

Eastwood said:
Here’s the cargo rack I use when I’m carrying both my e. bikes. This trailer is a tank because it’s steel it’s super heavy. For some it takes two people to install but if you’re fairly strong you can manage it yourself, it’s around 80 pounds. Maybe get a bucket to sit it on to help guide it into the trailer hitch.

I’ll post a picture of mine I built some wheel chock on it.

Tow Tuff 62 Inch 500 Pound Capacity Steel Cargo Carrier Trailer Car or Truck Rear Bumper Bike Rack, Fits All 2 Inch Receivers, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RFKBEO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_6WEJRVGM1ET2VMMWDT0C

It comes with tire holders already but I added the extra support just in case because I’ve been on some 6 Hour Rd. trips with the bikes.

NIce, what do you do when you are not riding? take it off and store it?
This looks good, multi use, you can use it to carry stuff too?

spinningmagnets said:
No matter what solution you find, I have "pop off" pedals, and my shins like them much better.

Oh my shins, I know what you are talking about, I have a Class V hitch, oh the pain.

Pic of your pedals or link pls.

Would a heavy heavy guy like chalo put much faith in folding pedals?
Be something in the back of the mind to not think about while riding for a guy like chalo.

Back