Questions about Crystalyte 5303s

There's a Motor, controller and several Turnigy LiPo's for sale near me that I'm trying to figure out if even a complete newbie like myself should jump on. The Ad is for a Crystalyte 5303 motor laced into a 26" rim, a sabvoton SVMC7280 controller kit, a Turnigy charger rated to 400w, 3 Turnigy 6s 16aH LiPo's and a custom XT connector to string them together. They're asking $700, but it's been up for weeks.

My question is... what I can find implies the 5303 is a real old beast and doesn't rate much higher than the plans I already have working for a leafmotor build (albeit I could never find a max rating on the motor). I've never messed with Lipos, and I'd have to message the seller to see if it's a torque or speed winding, or the dropout size. Would you lads jump on it? Try to get a lower price? Or just let it slip?

The Leaf motor is significantly more efficient than the 530X, and it weighs something like eight pounds less.

I like my 5305, but I wouldn't choose it over the Leaf. When I bought it in 2003, it was the most efficient and powerful bicycle hub motor I could find. Times have changed and there aren't many remaining arguments to be made in favor of the big Crystalyte.

Chalo said:
The Leaf motor is significantly more efficient than the 530X, and it weighs something like eight pounds less.

I like my 5305, but I wouldn't choose it over the Leaf. When I bought it in 2003, it was the most efficient and powerful bicycle hub motor I could find. Times have changed and there aren't many remaining arguments to be made in favor of the big Crystalyte.

That's what I thought. Thanks for saving me some $700 Chalo!

Op, could you share where you are sourcing your leaf hub and controller from (pardon the newbie questions)

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
gobi said:
Op, could you share where you are sourcing your leaf hub and controller from (pardon the newbie questions)

I think this is their website.

https://www.leafmotor.com/

https://leafbike.com/

The X53 series are outdated. I mean, much better motors are available today. Here they are worth 100$, and at that price it is a good motor to build a fast bike on a budget.

Used Lipo... you never know. That is a high risk, thus not much value unless you can test them. Still, when they are not puffed (meaning the bricks still square), they are worth the time to measure their remaining capacity. When puffed, steer away. When remaining capacity is 80% of their rating, they are practically finished.

5303 is the faster version winding. I would pay at most $100 for one. Part of why I have no desire to try to sell a couple of them I have laying around.

Not sure what the controller is worth, but its not a 50 buck cheapie. Maybe 200 for all?

Used batteries, worth zero. the charger not much, and useless without a power supply for it.

So he's got it all roughly 500 bucks overpriced for a pile of used stuff.

Hi all,
I figured I'd post on this thread as opposed to cluttering the forum with another thread about a really old motor. I've come across a 72v Crystalyte hub motor kit, the hub motor is laced to a 29" wheel and it came with a 72v Crystalyte controller, the APM display, brake levers, rear brake rotor, and a few other bits. All the stuff is new and unused as far as I can tell.

I'm trying to determine whether this heavy old beast is even worth holding on to, part of me wants to strap it to an old downhill bike for a little mini sur-ron type of setup. But a battery to run this thing isn't going to be easy to find, and if I do find one from a reputable dealer it's probably going to run at least a grand or so.

So for a $2k+ investment (everything I have now was free as I got it with a frame that I flipped) I'm just not sure this super heavy, antiquated, and unsupported (electricrider went out of business) motor is worth the effort. Although a high powered mini moto would be fun!

Any thoughts, recommendations, things I've missed? I have it up for sale on CL right now for $250 and someone wants to buy it but is too far away. Shipping this thing is going to be heinous.

I'm looking at a 5303 but has a 48v controller with 4110 fets so sounds like a 72 v controller ? I know it's heavy but I loved mine till it was stolen. Maybe that's why I'm missing it. Haven't seen a picture yet.

If I were looking for a similar heavy-duty motor these days, I'd go for a QSMotors QS205 in one variation or another--they're better built than the Crystalyte motors were.

(I have a front 5304...it's ok, but the axle was bent (curved!) before I even got it, and it was just used on a regular no-suspension steel bike by the previous owner (not a hard-use bike). On my SB Cruiser trike, hitting a (small) pothole not even at cruising speed (20mph) broke one of the axle ends off....).

999zip999 said:
I'm looking at a 5303 but has a 48v controller with 4110 fets so sounds like a 72 v controller ?

5303 is a fast wind; it works much better with a lower voltage but lots of phase amps.

Oh, and for the OP: Have you seen this?

https://www.amazon.com/QSMOTOR-bicycle-Brushelss-including-freewheel/dp/B07DC27M94

I got one. Haven't fired it up yet, but it seems pretty boss from what I can tell. Only supports 1- to 4-speed freewheels on its original spacing, so suitable either for a fatbike front wheel or for relatively noncommittal pedaling.

999zip999 said:
Looks good but waiting for the live test. It can still take a seven-speed free will if you widen ithe frame ? I remember it was heavy

You can add some spacing, but it will adversely affect dish and spoke tension.

It weighs 19.2 pounds on my untrustworthy little digital luggage scale, with all the axle hardware attached.

I like the big q s motor but I already have a message 3000 it weighs too much and those 1500 yescom or edge 35 mm , motors are not very powerfull.

Back