Step Through Conversion

tmort

10 W
I'd like to look into converting a step through crank forward like a Townie to electric. I have an electric now and probably most of those parts could be used. I'd prefer to mount a battery pack in the lower down tube, but I don't know if how much space there is between that and the other tube above it. I have heard people use some flat packs on the rear racks or in a pannier on the back, but I kind of want to use that for cargo if I have any and weight distribution. I can get Townies fairly easily. I'm open to other types tough.

I may have a chance to get a e-motor ridge in need of a battery. It has a rear 250 watt hub, disc brakes and some sort of front suspension fork and place for a battery to mount on the tube going from the bottom bracket to the seat post. It's not really semi-recumbent, but it does have the front suspension fork and maybe a little that way. I could just get it going with a battery and keep everything stock and see if I like it and go from there, but I've only seen it listed as for sale. Not reply to my inquiry yet. I'd have to check the dimensions but there are many packs available of that general shape.

Ignore that last post, just some spammer trying to get a higher algorthym rating in the search.

The 3x crank Townies are great, like the 21D which is 3x7, the only downside to those bikes is the frames have holes in them for cable routing, that is not good if you have a battery hanging off the top tube.

I've done a bunch of electric Townies already, and every one of them has a front hub motor with the battery on a rear rack.

The way a townie is built, a rear rack battery is no problem, till it gets to monster size, over 15 pounds weight.

Townies are the near ideal cruiser for conversion, part because they are decent quality, comfortable bikes, but also have a robust rear dropout ideal for motor mounting and torque arms.

Back