Gustavo chainring for Bafang mid drives

nikhintz

10 mW
Has anyone used one of the Gustavo chainrings that can be found on ebay or alliexpress? Forum search results came up empty. They look to be a lower cost and higher offset option to the Lekkie, and an available alternative to the Luna eclipse. Offset for the BBSHD version is advertised at 24.5mm, which would help with some chainline issues I have encountered. I am really tempted to pull the trigger to give it a shot. I definitely don't expect the quality or finish of the higher priced options, but it is literally a third the price of the competition, and according to the websites, actually exists in shippable form

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133898961162?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160811114145%26meid%3D93b6ae81a3604b0c84ca4577501ee94d%26pid%3D100667%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D274924741920%26itm%3D133898961162%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2334524&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042

I’m sorry, but where do you see an offset measurement?

It looks great in the picture. I think you should try one and report back to us how it works. :wink:

nikhintz said:
tomjasz said:

In the description, it lists the BBSxx as 14mm and the BBSHD at 24.5mm

Thank you. I couldn’t find those numbers! I Appreciate the response.
24.5 seems a bit deep.

tomjasz said:
nikhintz said:
tomjasz said:

In the description, it lists the BBSxx as 14mm and the BBSHD at 24.5mm

Thank you. I couldn’t find those numbers! I Appreciate the response.
24.5 seems a bit deep.

If the marketing is to be believed, the stock chainring has 19mm of offset, and considering that I needed about 5mm of spacers on the right hand side of the bottom bracket in order for the gear case to clear the chainstay, it should be about right.

I went ahead and ordered the 42 tooth version, will update/review upon its arrival.

Very timely. Just ordered a BBSHD and found this ring ... and this discussion! Drum is rolling ... we want to know how good it is!! Thanks

Howdy. Got more information about these chainrings.

They are copies of the Lekkie Bling 42T with 18mm offset. The seller claim 24.5 offset for a BBSHD but does include the thickness of the plate, which is not the actual offset. Offset is 18mm, same as Lekkie.

Bafang also sell these, not labeled as Gustavo, probably all from the same factory. They all use CNC 7075T6 Aluminum.

Are they as good as the Lekkie? Who knows. All the same profile, all the same aluminum. These are all CNC machined, so probably same specifications. The difference could be in the treatment applied to the teeth ... Lekkie mention some hardening treatment (7075 Heat treated alloy means we can get the weight to a fraction of the stock steel ring but retain the tooth hardness) that Bafang and these other copies don't mention directly, but the T6 in there is the heat treatment ... We have to try them to know! I ordered one as well as it was impossible to get a Lekkie in Canada for any decent amount, and the T46 is an horrible steel platter, so got a Gustavo for about a third of the price shipped in about a week.

Will keep you posted.

Jacques
Kelowna, BC

Still waiting for arrival. Due to some great shipping laws, if I order anything from outside of the US, it need to pass through a mainland port prior to shipping here. So this package will have traveled about 18000 miles before it arrives here on Guam, rather than the 2500 if it were direct.

Yes there are "compilations" out there.

Here is one: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/knowledge-base/motors-and-kits/bbshd/20359-bbshd-chainring-offset-guide

Note that the Bafang Bling, Gustavo Bling, and all other Blings are copies of the Leckie (from 2015-16) so they are not listed per se, but have the exact same dimensions ... but I know nothing about quality.

As for Bafang, it's on their website and can be summarized as:

Stock 46T offset is 19mm (steel)

Upgraded chain wheel from Bafang (steel):
40, 42, 44T are all 7mm offset

Bafang Bling versions (aluminum):
28T BBSHD Bling Chainring - 119mm diameter & 5mm offset
36T BBSHD Bling Chainring - 151mm diameter & 5mm offset
42T BBSHD Bling Chainring - 176mm diameter & 18mm offset
52T BBSHD Bling Chainring - 217mm diameter & 16mm offset

I ordered a Gustavo from Hong Kong and it is supposed to arrive May 11th ... in Canada ... It got on the plane on the 9th ... finger crossed it is not spending 5-10 days in custom !!

Thanks.
I just installed a BBS02 with the standard 46T chainring, I'd like to go down to at least a 42 without wrecking my chainline.
It will be interesting to hear what you think of the Gustavo.

biphaeboh said:
Thanks.
I just installed a BBS02 with the standard 46T chainring, I'd like to go down to at least a 42 without wrecking my chainline.
It will be interesting to hear what you think of the Gustavo.

Bafang offers a 42t steel ring with the same offset as the 46t version. It's cheap, too.

The chainrings for BBS02 and BBSHD are different offsets.

Download the "user manual" on the Leckie website from this page: https://lekkie.tech/product/bling-ring-hd-42t/

This is an extract:
Leckie Bling Rings.png

I would guess you get different offset with the Bafang rings as well.

I did a bit more hunting around online, and I found a picture of the clearance between the chainring and controller case. It shows 9mm for the BBSHD. I measured the clearance on my stock 46 tooth, and it was a bit over 14mm, so the 24.5mm might be accurate. I will pull a measurement once the gustavo ring shows up.

s-l500(17) by nik1924, on Flickr

If you want the maximum offset you can go to the 40T Lekkie, that requires you replace the motor cover as part of the process.
Only $200 CDN.

The Lekkie Bling Ring 40T is now the smallest tooth count ring available on the market that maintains the correct offset and chain line.

Lekkie made this possible by also designing the motor drive covers to work together with the 40T ring to create the most compact offset drive ring.

https://lekkie.tech/product/lekkie-bling-ring-40t-bbs-package/

biphaeboh said:
If you want the maximum offset you can go to the 40T Lekkie, that requires you replace the motor cover as part of the process.
Only $200 CDN.

Only $200, what a deal.

Offset is the distance from the inside of the plate that contacts with your motor, where it is bolted, to the center line of the teeth, not a distance between the ring and the motor body. Read the Leckie pdf I posted earlier.

So if you had a perfectly flat chainring, the offset would be a negative value half of the tickness of the plate ... assuming the teeth are centered.

Offset is distance "E" in this diagram. This is THE standard used by ALL chainring for bicycle, not just an invention of Leckie.

Capture d’écran, le 2022-05-12 à 18.59.50.png

I will post in a minute 2 schematics that you can find on Bafang ... very informative.

These files come from Bafang website, just posting here as it seems you have a hard time finding the valid info.

Note (and pay careful attention before ordering) that the Bafang aluminium and Upgraded Bling chainrings are quite different. Bafang does not offer the Bling, it is from third parties like Leckie ... and Gustavo! The Gustavo is a 42T Upgraded Bling chainring (a copy of the Leckie) ... this is what I understand of the Gustavo ... mine will arrive next Monday May 16, 2022 ... hopefully it is what I think. Note that if the offset is 24.5mm as stated on ebay it will not fit my bike. I contacted the seller and he has no, nada, zilch clue or knowledge about any of this.

These are JPG versions. Below I will try to post the PDF files which is better for printing to proper scale. I used these to figure out what how where which and all info before ordering the motor and the chainring.

Bafang_BBS02_750w_Template_Printout_Ebike_Essentials.jpg

Bafang_BBSHD_1000w_Template_Printout_68_73_Ebike_Essentials.jpg

PDF versions:

View attachment Bafang_BBS02_750w_Template_Printout_Ebike_Essentials.pdf

View attachment Bafang_BBSHD_1000w_Template_Printout_68_73_Ebike_Essentials.pdf

Enjoy

Forgot to mention that there is the Leckie 40T that offers more offset, but Bafang does not promote it as it requires modification to the motor housing.

jacqueslandry said:
Forgot to mention that there is the Leckie 40T that offers more offset, but Bafang does not promote it as it requires modification to the motor housing.

Yes, that is what I was referring to in my above post.

The Lekkie Bling Ring 40T is now the smallest tooth count ring available on the market that maintains the correct offset and chain line.

Lekkie made this possible by also designing the motor drive covers to work together with the 40T ring to create the most compact offset drive ring.

Only $247 incl shipping and GST.

A nice video with annoying music showing how to install it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flSQsO4xnIw&t=4s

I will be interested to hear what you think of the Gustavo.

biphaeboh said:
jacqueslandry said:

Yes that's exactly it. Sorry if I was repeating your post, just wanted to add that Bafang does not mention the 40T because of needed modifications on the motor. That's all good, the more info we share the easier it will be for others to get their machine to perfection! I will absolutely share what this Gustavo thing looks like. I wanted to order the Leckie 42T but it was out of stock that day ... available now. Hopefully the Gustavo is a decent copy ;)

In the meantime I installed the Bafang steel 46T using my old cassette (10-36) and chain and it's a blast. Did not try very steep climbs yet due to a knee injury but soon. I will change the cassette (11-46) and the chain when I get the chainring. Cheers.

jacqueslandry said:
biphaeboh said:
jacqueslandry said:

Yes that's exactly it. Sorry if I was repeating your post, just wanted to add that Bafang does not mention the 40T because of needed modifications on the motor. That's all good, the more info we share the easier it will be for others to get their machine to perfection! I will absolutely share what this Gustavo thing looks like. I wanted to order the Leckie 42T but it was out of stock that day ... available now. Hopefully the Gustavo is a decent copy ;)

In the meantime I installed the Bafang steel 46T using my old cassette (10-36) and chain and it's a blast. Did not try very steep climbs yet due to a knee injury but soon. I will change the cassette (11-46) and the chain when I get the chainring. Cheers.

I think we are on similar tracks. I had ordered a 36T chainring with my purchase, but the chainline is horrible so I went with the stock 46T, where the chainline is reasonable, but the gearing is too high. I found a wheel with an 8 speed hub, and I have ordered an 8 speed 46T cassette to fit it. The donor bike had a 7 speed uniglide 12-28 cassette which would be okay if I could get a small enough chain ring on the front.
I am ready to push the button on the Gustavo, just waiting for the report.
I could maybe see changing the motor cover to get a really small chainring on the front, but to go from 42 to 40, no.

And thanks for researching and posting all that offset info , it helps.

Back