Needing help to find a replacement Hub Motor

Dacflyer

1 W
I have acquired an Xtremegreen Sentinel PMV ( Police Mobility Vehicle )
This is a 3 wheeled stand up scooter. was sold mostly to Police and security departments.
It's unique looking, sort of a cross between a Segway and stealth fighter.
The unit is still in great condition, except the white panels are turning nicotine yellow with age.
It has all the police garb on it, lights and sirens and all.
I was going to buy it just for the battery pack, but the guy decided to just sell me the while thing.
this unit has 1 issue.. The Hub motor is probably trashed.. it was all apart, the guy stated that it had a grinding noise.
this was caused by 1 failed magnet.
So, I have a few questions maybe someone can help me out. i have spent several hours already crawling around the internet, to no avail yet on finding a way to fix this hub motor or to find a replacement.
The hub motor ( no idea on wattage size 5kw i think ) the motor is fork mounted front wheel, but it has a bolt on golf cart wheel..
the wheel bolts onto the hub.

1- I can't find such a style , Can someone help me find something suitable for replacement ? I have a lot of data on the wheel sizes etc. The wheel is a wide golf cart tire , 10" between the forks,
2- Does anyone on here repair them ?
3- can replacement magnets be bought ? And recommended glue or epoxy
4- does anyone sell replacement cables that goto the motor ? This has 3x 10Ga teflon coated wires,very thin jacketed wires. and 5x small hall sensor wires all in 1 cable..

ok,, this should be enough for now.. If this should be in a different thread, please advise.
Thanks..

Looking for a hub motor for a Xtreme Green 3 wheeled vehicle.
front fork mount. Police Mobility Vehicle (Sentinal PMV)
10" between the forks, uses a golfcart wheel 18" tall wheel and bout 6-7 inch wide rim.
48V and about 3kw to 5kw size.
Company is out of business.. so parts are Unobtanium...

How fast does the original motor spin? (assuming you want a direct replacement, you want to look for one that has the same kV (RPM/Volt) so it has the same speed at the same battery voltage.

BTW, what went wrong with the original motor?

Does anyone know of a source for replacement Magnets for Hub Motors?
or does anyone have some used ones ?
I need at least 2 of them. also any advice on a good adhesive ? epoxy or such ?
the magnet size i need is 19mm x 38mm x 3mm doesn't sound like a common size..

I have no Info on this motor, All i know is that it is 48V, wires look to be about 10Ga or thicker.
So, no idea on how fast it would spin.
If i could find a replacement magnet that is missing, I'm sure i probably could get it working again.
All the magnets in this thing were loose, ( not glued in place ) Is this normal for these motors ?

I had 2 others claim ( their dad or brother) they had such a motor, I replied, but no return answers, I think they are playing games with me.

Any other info i can provide that could help identify this thing, Just ask..there is a sticker that only says
"Hub Motor with wheel 48V"

How would you identify the Kv with no info ?
I'm not picky on what could work..I just need it to be 10" between the forks... and wheel height no more than 18"
Thanks

I have Damaged Hub Motor from a 3 wheeled vehicle, looks sort of like a 3 wheeled segway.
It has a busted magnet, can't find any magnets for it , If I could find the magnet, I could repair it..

The Vehicle is / was made by Xtreme Green which is out of business unfortunately ..
The motor is a front fork mount type, but with a removable wheel, the wheel looks like it came from a golf cart. Held on with 4 lugs, the wheel comes off the hub motor..
it's 10" between the forks. old Hub has 10Ga wires, i'm not sure how many watts the motor is. a few kw's I'm sure..
the wheel size is 18" tall and 8" wide.
I haven't had much luck to find anything remotely like i need. even if it's a motor and wheel all in 1.
any leads are appreciated..

Maybe someone has one of the original motors for sale. I had another post on here and had people on here pulling my leg saying they had one, but then never came thru..

You had several threads for the same system/issue; they've all now been merged with this one, to help people trying to help you by keeping all the information in one place.

I couldn't find any posts by anyone other than me asking for more info about your system, and suggesting some specs you may need to match, prior to this new thread, where E-HP has also asked for info (the confirmation that it's the same system as linked). The logs don't show any posts have been deleted in these threads. If it was by PM, that doesnt' show in the logs; we have had some scammers lately that have been banned (AFAIK); we try to keep them out, but it's difficult. (if you suspect a scammer, you can always use the ! button on any PM to report it for investigation).

I don't have any specific suggestions for a motor this wide other than checking with places like QSmotor to see if they can make you one, if nothing they already carry would work, and you haven't found anyone selling an original. It sounds like a motorcycle hubmotor, which is something QSmotors has a number of types of.

Regarding identifying the kV, that is just the RPM per volt. Meaning, how many times per minute does it spin for each volt of your battery. If you know how fast these originally went, you can use various internet calculators to change that speed in MPH or KPH to RPM, based on the wheelsize (diameter or circumference, depending on the calculator). When you know the RPM, you can then divide that by 48 to get the average RPM/volt or Kv, to ensure you get the right motor for the system to make it do the same speed it used to.

Regarding motor power, you can "assume" that it needs to be at least as powerful as whatever was originally advertised for these systems, whatever that was. If you're not sure, then if the controller lists a current limit (Amps, A) on it's labelling (if it has any), it can be used multiplied by the 48v to give the watts of the system, that the motor must be capable of handling if you intend to use it near or at it's potential.

Note that hubmotors come in various types, the most common of which is a 3-phase BLDC motor with UVW hall sensors (usually three thick wires, and 5 thin ones). Some use other types of position sensors, and the motor must be of the same type as the original to be able to plug into the controller and work. Some controllers are more advanced, and require setup specific to the actual motor connected to them (like Sevcon does), or they won't drive the motor correctly (if at all).

If you can post pictures of the actual motor wheel as a whole, of it's axle and where it mounts to the trike's frame/fork on each end, and of it's connector / wiring to the controller, and of the controller itself, it may help us better help you find a replacement.

If you can't find a replacement motor, it may be possible to just glue the magnets back down, as long as they are still in their original orientation on the rotor ring (if not, they can be difficult to put back due ot the strong magnetic fields; they have to go in alternating opposing polarities). It's not normal to have no glue; I suspect they probably did have glue but it either melted or otherwise disintegrated during use--if they have no glue at all it's probably a manufacturer error (it happens; given the working conditions and "pay" many of the people that make these things get, I can't blame them for it). If the magnet is actually broken, it is probably not going to operate the same even if you can force it together during gluing-down to the rotor ring using a fixture you'd have to make for the purpose. (worth a try if no other options exist).

Dacflyer said:
I have Damaged Hub Motor from a 3 wheeled vehicle, looks sort of like a 3 wheeled segway.
It has a busted magnet, can't find any magnets for it , If I could find the magnet, I could repair it..

The Vehicle is / was made by Xtreme Green which is out of business unfortunately ..
The motor is a front fork mount type, but with a removable wheel, the wheel looks like it came from a golf cart. Held on with 4 lugs, the wheel comes off the hub motor..
it's 10" between the forks. old Hub has 10Ga wires, i'm not sure how many watts the motor is. a few kw's I'm sure..
the wheel size is 18" tall and 8" wide.
I haven't had much luck to find anything remotely like i need. even if it's a motor and wheel all in 1.
any leads are appreciated..

Maybe someone has one of the original motors for sale. I had another post on here and had people on here pulling my leg saying they had one, but then never came thru..

amberwolf said:
If you can't find a replacement motor, it may be possible to just glue the magnets back down...
Just out of curiosity (trying to learn, hoping not to derail the thread, but seems ontopic), what kind of glue is appropriate here?

An epoxy that can handle the temperature you expect the motor to reach in worst-case operation.

There have been some custom motor build (like APL's) and motor magnet repair threads that talk about specific ones; I haven't done a search yet.

amberwolf >> Thanks for the info, I'll try to get you the info soon..
I do not know why i am not getting any notifications of received messages. ( what to check )
And thanks for merging things for me here.
I have all but 1 magnet..If i could find a magnet, then i could fix this motor.
I think this vehicle was capable to go up to 25mph. It will take a ton of work to get access to the data plate on the speed controller.
the motor connector had a really big 3 position Anderson connector, but the motor was cut loose from it, motor wire is about 10Ga.
Does this QS motors have a stateside dealer ? or someone i can talk to ? or does it all have to be Emails to china ( I'm guessing )

:idea: I think I might have good news..
After sooo much research I think I might have found the magnet, I need to fix the motor. ( Fingers crossed it fits )
The company is actually stateside too JK Magnetics ( https://www.kjmagnetics.com ) They even carry N52 strength magnets if you'd want to boost the power in your rebuild. They have all flavors and sizes of magnets.
Their FAQ page is really informative too.

I'll report back on how things go.. Stay Tuned...

:bigthumb: UPDATE >> Ok, I got the magnets i needed. I got them in and oriented / spaced apart. It wasn't easy to do, had to use cardboard and paper to get things evenly spaced apart. Now that i got things mocked up, I'm waiting for the adhesive i need.
once this comes in, I can start adhering things into place, then assembling.. I am thinking things will work out finally..

:bigthumb: UPDATE >> Ok, I got the magnets i needed. I got them in and oriented / spaced apart. It wasn't easy to do, had to use cardboard and paper to get things evenly spaced apart. Now that i got things mocked up, I'm waiting for the adhesive i need.
once this comes in, I can start adhering things into place, then assembling.. I am thinking things will work out finally..
How did the motor turn out? Did everything come together as planned? Thanks!

hi, sorry for late reply..>> I got the motor together, only to discover the magnets were too short, I got 1.5" long but actually needed 2" long. Discovered that the hall effect sensors weren't being properly triggered, So to fix this I just ordered some 1/2 longer magnets and added them in. Wasn't sure if they'd work or not, but they did.. So now the motor runs Great with no load, But has a hard time starting off.
Not sure if magnets are the issue or not,, There are more magnets than poles, But once i get going, the motor runs great. If i start off on any incline, I have to shove it off to get going. Other than that i'm not complaining.
The other issue i have now is for some reason the Battery info system has quit working. ( Dash panel - No battery status, Amps , speed or individual cell info.) It appears the data box has quit, I checked all connections, they all seem ok, The dash panel powers up, just no data.
I haven't been able to find anything on these on the modules.. all else is working. I Might try to post something in the wanted section see what comes up.. Would be nice if i had a way to connect to the can bus system to troubleshoot. I'd need the program they used at least.

That is why you measure 3 times, always.
hard time starting off doesnt tell us much. Some stutter is fine on my dd.
dashes cause more harm then good. Dont bother with displays. Go sensorless/sensored generic square wave brushless controller for cheap. Match the voltages and move on. Again, I tell you dont bother with extra wires for a dash/display. You get a feel for speed and battery level if you ride often enough. The other advantage is you look more stealth, with less stuff on your handlebars, you have less candy for hands to touch and eyes to see. Less flash is better. Bulky displays on handle bars is out of the ordinary. No bright colors to attract attention either, you want to go low key.

Well, there's not much of a way to make this big honkin this inconspicuous. It is a police mobility vehicle.. I've already peeled off all the police stickers..

Back