Bafang motor replacement

Nvreloader

10 mW
Ok Guys
I am nervous as a Long Tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs, first time doing anything like this,
I have all the parts (I hope) except 1 part, which is in route to here some time this coming week,
for changing out the 1000W Bafang Cbus motor over to 1000W Uart, on my MD 750 Wart Hog trail bike.

These are the steps I plan to follow, (all the new parts below are Uart protocol),
First I'll disconnect the Cbus motor, label all the wiring, Then using the Uart harness,
I'll attach all the Uart items such as, the display, throttle, speed sensor,
then attach all the same wires used (via Cbus motor), to the U motor,
then attach the main power cords (batteries will be disconnected/pulled).

I'll leave the OEM Cbus wiring in place, inside the down tube,
until I am positive that everything operates/runs as it should,
then I'll tie strong nylon cords to all the ends of the main harness, before I pull out the main harness
and tie on the Uart main harness and fish all wires into they're proper place etc.
I have a some unused plugs which I'll coat with dialectic grease to prevent any corrosion and seal with heat shrink tape etc.
I'll have to attach the speed sensor to the bike, so the wheel readings can be recorded.

Question?
Should I give a lite coating of Dialectic grease to the new plugs before connecting, around here the air is filled with micro magnetic dust etc and corrosion is a problem.

The only area of concern is that of the main battery cable/wiring coming from the batteries,
(I have OEM dual wired batteries that are split and run down inside the main tube to the motor),
has a very thin small wired into/with the main battery cables,
but I don't remember seeing this wiring with the Cbus set up, when I detached the motor the first time..

What else should I be aware of, or be doing before the first power up/test?......

If all this works as it should, then I'll pull the Uart motor and split the case and
re grease it before checking again and reinstalling the new motor etc.
Then on to programming what I want to use.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated...........
Thank you,
Don

Hello, neighbor.

I can't help you because I'm rather a n00b myself, but I'm curious as to why you are converting Cbus to UART? Is something broken?

Hi Simonov
The reason I am changing this motor out to a Uart motor is because I am using the bike to explore off road (cow/wild horse) trails into some hunting areas that cannot be reached via roads etc.

Most of these cow/wild horse trails require riding on 12" wide single tracks, and when you leave these trails, you end up crashing down these very sharp side hill inclines/steep drop offs on the down hill side that end in dry rocky canyon bottoms etc.

This motor has a problem that the motor does NOT stop or shut off providing power when you get off the throttle, and this throttle is either ON or OFF, no feathering possible, and it surges forward in all the mode setting of Eco/Sport), but especially in the lower 1-3 settings of ECO where I prefer to use when scouting these trails, I don't need a crash and burn down a steep hill side, I DON'T heal as quick as I used too in the over 70yr + old class age group......Lol.

The Uart motor can be programmed to fit my riding styles, very easily, as I have a friend that does the same type of riding on his Uart bike. Don't get me wrong here, I love the bike and it's riding styles,
just hate the PROGRAMMING of it's motor, IMHO it is NOT safe to be using it the way I want etc.

I have all the Uart parts to replace this junky Canbus motor,
just not sure if I am heading in the right directions when changing out this motor,
as I have never done this before.

Tia,
Don

It sounds like you are using the bike the way it was meant to be used, so I'm surprised it's not already appropriately configured.

I'm also surprised you haven't gotten any replies. This sort of nerdy electronics stuff is just meat for a lot of the guys around here.

Hi Simonov
I also can't figure out the lack of replies, I guess nobody has any interest in this type of stuff.......

I am hoping I can get this new Uart motor programmed to do what I want to use it for,
here is the program I am going to use,
Jon does the same type of riding I do, so this programming will a step in the right direction,
see post#86 (JonA).
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/luna-z1-first-impressions.46506/page-5#post-490118

Here is a small sample: Post# 1867 of the milder conditions,
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/generic-md-1000-and-hd-750-ebike-model-discussion.39257/page-85#post-518687

Do you have a fat tire off road/trail bike, you want to try out?

If you do and want to try some riding around here, ground conditions will be, soft sand, gravel creek bottoms, gravel bladed roads, Dry hard playa's, along with lots of sage brush, steep side hills on Wild horse trails, lots of different views of Pershing Co, there is over 6400 SQ miles you can peddle in, till your legs can fall off etc.
I'll treat you to some of it..........BEFORE it gets TOO HOT, no fun then, except for night riding and all the crafty critters are prowling around...........LOL

Tia,
Don

I’d guess no replies because correcting all the misunderstandings in here would take forever.

There is no such thing as a “uart motor”. CANbus and what people call UART (actually just basic serial most commonly at 9600bps and 8N1) are literally just two different ways of creating communications between controller and display. Has nothing to do with the motor itself.

Thanks for the invite, Don, but I have my hands full (so to speak) right here where I am.

In addition to using a bike for my daily commute, I think of the bike as a sort of force multiplier for backcountry exploring: it will get me deeper into the wilderness more quickly than walking, which is the usual way I've gotten around for most the last 45 years or so. The mountains on both sides of Reno are festooned with jeep and utility roads, as is Mt Peavine, the big mountain to our north. Don't even need to bother with single track, which is plentiful around here, but better suited for foot travel.

This morning I will pick up a new Specialized Rockhopper Sport 29, which I intend to ride for some time before fitting it with a BBSHD. This purchase was precipitated by my recently being halted on the Tahoe-Pyramid Bike Trail outside Verdi at the California border, when the road got too steep and rutted and gravelly for my current bike with its relatively narrow tires. It is my hope I can take this new bike anywhere a car can go, especially once I motorize it. An actual off-road motorcycle would be nice, too, but there's too much involved in terms of storage, maintenance and transport, and a lot of places you can't or shouldn't take it (like, ahem, the Tahoe-Pyramid Trail). Maybe later, if and when I live in a bigger place.

On the other hand, I believe I will spend this Saturday night at the Black Rock Desert, one of my favorite places, doing absolutely nothing. Sometimes you just need to take a break.

Mitch

Mitch
When I was in ADC (80's) I spent 7+ yrs in Gerlach, I travel over most all the area up to the Oregon border,
and West to the Cal border, I love the High Rock/Grassey areas,
Little high rock canyon is a very special place to me,
took a Sage grouse thru the windscreen on the Super Cub, one hell of a ride to Cederville, Ca..
I got to see/watch the 1st Land Speed record North of Gerlach out by the Solders Meadow road, on the Black Rock,
and watch BIG rockets launched from the Smoke Creek Desert,
that place always has some thing going beside Burning Man........... :roll:
Thanks,
Don

Back