Wiring one power switch to two controllers

apprisco

10 mW
How would one go by doing this? Working w 72v expensive controllers and don't want to risk things on my own, but couldn't find much information. As both controllers are running off the same battery in parallel, would the ground for both be identical? In this case, do I only need to plug in the black wire to one of the controllers, while plugging in the red wire to both controllers? Is there any harm in wiring both wires to both controllers?

Attached is the power diagram.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 5.24.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 5.24.36 AM.png
    128.3 KB · Views: 312
A controller won't do anything unless it has both power and ground (red and black). Both controllers need to be wired to the battery at both ends. Of course you need to be sure your battery is powerful enough to supply enough current (amps) to both loads.
slide_4.jpg

I- you read nothing I said Jordan. Ofc the controllers will have a connection to the battery, that's what parallel wiring is for.
The problem here is that the power switch isn't 72v and ground, it's some weird 72v and then a non-ground wire. I've tested with a multimeter to verify. These connectors are quite common on other cheaper controllers, but I just don't get how to wire one to both without splitting the power switch wire to both. (Concerned that would cause issues)

follow the wiring diagram above if you're "power switch" you're trying to control power to the controllers. if you're talking about the controller on/off switch, it would be a similar connection, but to the controllers' on/off connectors. good luck.

Yes, I'm talking about the controllers' power switch. What else could that connector be haha! The problem is that neither of the power switch on the controllers is a ground, which confuses me.

apprisco said:
Yes, I'm talking about the controllers' power switch. What else could that connector be haha! The problem is that neither of the power switch on the controllers is a ground, which confuses me.

The on/off requires battery level voltage to be applied the signal wire, so no ground involved. If both controllers are powered by the same battery, they already share a common ground.

Aha, so if I just connect the battery level voltage line to the switch's positive line, and the switch's ground line to both signal lines, it should work! Thank you :)

Back