Motor controller

engblom

1 mW
I am considering to build an ebike with a gearless direct drive hub. However all the kits I can find got an external controller that is supposed to be in a fabric bag that is then attached to the frame. I do not like this because:
1. The controller does not look like it is watertight
2. The bag from where the cable will come out will just look like a cheap hack and on a ladies bike it will be difficult to have both this bag and the battery pack.
3. A bag will cause a lot of insulation rather than allowing the controller to cool off.

Ideally I would want to find a battery mount with the controller integrated. Does this exist?

There are plenty of options for Hailong, Polly, and probably other frame mounted hard case batteries that have a speed controller in the base rail. Topbikekit has a bunch of them.

Don't fool yourself that they're waterproof. For weather resistance, the best thing is to let moisture escape as quickly as it enters.

http://ebikes.ca also makes the Baserunner controller that mounts in some of the base rails; I don't know if they have any of the batteries/rails in stock ATM.

#3 can certainly be a problem with controllers being pushed very hard. Some systems that dont' get used very hard relative to their capabilities work alright this way (mostly low power 100-300w OEM bikes with controllers built into the frames or plastic coverings, etc, in my limited experience with those).

engblom said:
I am considering to build an ebike with a gearless direct drive hub. However all the kits I can find got an external controller that is supposed to be in a fabric bag that is then attached to the frame. I do not like this because:
1. The controller does not look like it is watertight
2. The bag from where the cable will come out will just look like a cheap hack and on a ladies bike it will be difficult to have both this bag and the battery pack.
3. A bag will cause a lot of insulation rather than allowing the controller to cool off.

Ideally I would want to find a battery mount with the controller integrated. Does this exist?

What do you live I mean how many rainy days do you have I'm not very familiar with rain and I live in Southern California and were usually in a drought

I am located in Finland. The problem is that we do not have a proper shelter, so the bike will be out during rain and winter. During the whole fall we do have a lot of rain.

Back