Which would you use?

ebike11

1 MW
Hi
Which connector would you prefer to use if you are going to be pushing over 100A ?
8awg is being used also.

1. 8awg soldered to XT90
2. Anderson 50A but crimped.

Andersons are rated lower but the connector itself seems stronger than the connector in an xt90

At the moment the choice is only between these 2.

Thanks!

8AWG in a XT90. I use that and have peaked very high for an ebike. No troubles. I heat 8g up easily.. under continuous load.. it is taking it. Anderson is bulky and over rated by popularity, IMO.

8 gauge JUST fits in a XT90.

My 8g was getting hot. Lol. The connector is fine, and is not a heat bottleneck.

I use XT90's every single day. Wires are 12awg, maybe a random one is 10awg, I find 10awg about the limit for me to solder a XT90. Anything bigger conductor wire (lower gauge wire) and I would have to concentrate a bit harder and have a steadier hand and I would probably slightly melt a housing or two on the first 2 or 3 connectors that need to be replaced with 8awg. I'm only 35a.

I get home from a ride and I unplug the batteryies
I then plug them into the chargers
48v 15ah has one XT90 + 36v split (18v+18v in series) and that adapter just added another 3 XT90's into the mix for every day use in the adapter alone + the two XT90's for the split.
I then unplug the chargers at a lower voltage
The next day I plug the chargers back in to charge to full, then ride
Repeat, every single day
Count how many times they are unplugged and plugged in to use in a year and use 325 days instead of 365.

They last a long time, in the winter I abuse my XT90's by pulling on the cable sometimes (very bad I know)
They last for about a couple years or 3 before one breaks off and needs to be replaced which I did a couple weeks ago. My solder jobs aren't crappy crappy, but they are not great either

If it was possible to crimp XT90's (You cant) they would last way more then 3 yrs for me.

I do not know much about Anderson PP's 45 variants, I did buy them, I did try to solder (dont have a crimper) and it did not work. The problem I see is that they are to small, so being to small means they could be more weak when I use them to last. For me they are just to small, you have to be a little more careful with them plugging and unplugging them.

I would vote for soldered XT90's, can you get them?
Hobbyking is to expensive now with shipping.
Local rc shops are like 5x the price.
Grin has XT60 Amass, I wish they would have XT90's.
I dont trust the usual places (amzn/eby/ali's)

DogDipstick said:
8AWG in a XT90. I use that and have peaked very high for an ebike. No troubles. I heat 8g up easily.. under continuous load.. it is taking it. Anderson is bulky and over rated by popularity, IMO.

8 gauge JUST fits in a XT90.

My 8g was getting hot. Lol. The connector is fine, and is not a heat bottleneck.

The 8awg isnt a problem for me either...i also have a lot of xt90s and use them with 8awg. Just considering Anderson 50A. Not because of hype but i have a hydraulic crimper and for me personally, crimping is so much faster and simpler plus less chance of my solder melting or wire coming loose diring high continuous load.
I dont like the huge anderson connectors but the 50A terminals look beefier than the xt90s. I dont know why they rated so low

calab said:
I use XT90's every single day. Wires are 12awg, maybe a random one is 10awg, I find 10awg about the limit for me to solder a XT90. Anything bigger conductor wire (lower gauge wire) and I would have to concentrate a bit harder and have a steadier hand and I would probably slightly melt a housing or two on the first 2 or 3 connectors that need to be replaced with 8awg. I'm only 35a.

I get home from a ride and I unplug the batteryies
I then plug them into the chargers
48v 15ah has one XT90 + 36v split (18v+18v in series) and that adapter just added another 3 XT90's into the mix for every day use in the adapter alone + the two XT90's for the split.
I then unplug the chargers at a lower voltage
The next day I plug the chargers back in to charge to full, then ride
Repeat, every single day
Count how many times they are unplugged and plugged in to use in a year and use 325 days instead of 365.

They last a long time, in the winter I abuse my XT90's by pulling on the cable sometimes (very bad I know)
They last for about a couple years or 3 before one breaks off and needs to be replaced which I did a couple weeks ago. My solder jobs aren't crappy crappy, but they are not great either

If it was possible to crimp XT90's (You cant) they would last way more then 3 yrs for me.

I do not know much about Anderson PP's 45 variants, I did buy them, I did try to solder (dont have a crimper) and it did not work. The problem I see is that they are to small, so being to small means they could be more weak when I use them to last. For me they are just to small, you have to be a little more careful with them plugging and unplugging them.

I would vote for soldered XT90's, can you get them?
Hobbyking is to expensive now with shipping.
Local rc shops are like 5x the price.
Grin has XT60 Amass, I wish they would have XT90's.
I dont trust the usual places (amzn/eby/ali's)

Oh im not using PP connectors. I was referring to these connectors

https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Power-Products-Connector-Housing/dp/B07CHDM1VT

I’ve been using 8Awg with xt150s in my efoil. Each ride is about one hour of riding, half an hour at high current (250A max) and they last fine even though they are in an airtight box - if they don’t start to loose contact pressure. I think it happens when the connector is inserted slightly out of alignment and pushed in. I’ve had connectors that got so hot that they melted the solder but then i could see that the male tip was deformed and insertion force was quite low.

I use 8mm gold bullets now if i can, these are less likely to be deformed on the male and i haven’t had an issue with them
7114DBC5-517C-4C35-B232-5D2D13858491.jpeg
I would use the xt90 before the andersons if that’s your options, andersons are just too big for me.
If the xt90s start to get easy to connect/disconnect then plan to replace it. The male ends can also be bent slightly outwards to increase the contact if they feel loose but are otherwise looking good.

Last edited:
larsb said:
I’ve been using 8Awg with xt90s in my efoil. Each ride is about one hour of riding, half an hour at high current (250A max) and they last fine even though they are in an airtight box - if they don’t start to loose contact pressure. I think it happens when the connector is inserted slightly out of alignment and pushed in. I’ve had connectors that got so hot that they melted the solder but then i could see that the male tip was deformed and insertion force was quite low.

I use 8mm gold bullets now if i can, these are less likely to be deformed on the male and i haven’t had an issue with them
7114DBC5-517C-4C35-B232-5D2D13858491.jpeg
I would use the xt90 before the andersons if that’s your options, andersons are just too big for me.
If the xt90s start to get easy to connect/disconnect then plan to replace it.

Hi!
Is your preference because of the size of the andersons themselves?
Im wondering more of comparing their current handling power.
The size and form isnt a big deal for me personally.

The sb50 terminal looks like it can handle more power than the gold connector in a xt90. But i could be wrong of course

Yes, just the size. I personally trust the anderson powerpoles to be underrated, i used (genuine) pp45 at 300A peak for some years. They melt and fail in the end but 45A and 300A are quite far from each other!
Therefore, just by the true current handling i’d assume the crimped SB50 will win (but i cannot prove it)

larsb said:
Yes, just the size. I personally trust the anderson powerpoles to be underrated, i used (genuine) pp45 at 300A peak for some years. They melt and fail in the end but 45A and 300A are quite far from each other!
Therefore, just by the true current handling i’d assume the crimped SB50 will win (but i cannot prove it)

Oh you mean the plastic housings melted?

Yes, they get warm and a liittle bit softer in the plastic, they loose a bit more contact, get warmer.. eventually they fail because of the lost contact pressure. SB50s have a lot more plastic and a lot more space so the margin to this is of course increased a lot

Andersons rely on the pressure between the scoop on one side and the pearl on the other to get a good connection so the wires need some free play to let them align correctly. On PP45:s with a large wire like 10Awg it’s not getting this (i’ve noticed :wink: )

larsb said:
Yes, they get warm and a liittle bit softer in the plastic, they loose a bit more contact, get warmer.. eventually they fail because of the lost contact pressure. SB50s have a lot more plastic and a lot more space so the margin to this is of course increased a lot

Andersons rely on the pressure between the scoop on one side and the pearl on the other to get a good connection so the wires need some free play to let them align correctly. On PP45:s with a large wire like 10Awg it’s not getting this (i’ve noticed :wink: )

Why dont you try the sb50 ?

Many a model of pp's
If you can stand the bulk and need a handle perhaps that model of pp is an option

ebike11 said:

calab said:
Many a model of pp's
If you can stand the bulk and need a handle perhaps that model of pp is an option

ebike11 said:

Yes i can stand the bulk..the sb50s arent too difficult to separate by hand.
Im more concerned if the 50A connector pin can handle more current than an xt90 pin

Back