My first build - How is the Voilamart 1500w kit? Lipo vs liion? Some basic questions

Ownzies

1 mW
Hi! I'm thinking of building my first ebike and I'm looking at the 1500w voilamart kit. This kit has the controller built-in to the hub. Has anyone here tried this kit?

I have a few questions. Im wondering if this would decrease the life of the controller, and how easy the controller would be to replace if it did die. Can you just open the hub to access it?

How easy are kits to install for somebody with no experience working on bikes? I build race drones and understand the electrical parts of these systems, but not the mechanics. Some videos I watch of the builds have people designing custom parts in CAD, while others seem to be just simple installation.

In the stickied post, I see LiPos mentioned. I thought LiPos are better for large amperage output but not sustained use / endurance? Could you expect the same range with a LiPo pack compared to a Li-ion?

I'm looking for about 30mi range. What mah LiPo / Li-ion pack would be I looking at?

If there is a better 1500w kit than the Voilamart, please suggest it! I am trying to stick to as low budget as possible while still maintaining quality.

Thank you very much!

BC is a big place. If you are anywhere near VCR, you should visit Grin Technologies Ltd. Someone here mentioned they have a "bargain bin."

Ownzies said:
I am trying to stick to as low budget as possible while still maintaining quality.
In general: You might luck out, you might strike out. More often, you get what you pay for.

Quality in what sense? Performance? build level? material? design? engineering? reliability? looks? status?

How important to you is the controller-in-hubmotor feature? Most here would advise against it, unless you have specific functional or design reasons for it.

99t4 said:
BC is a big place. If you are anywhere near VCR, you should visit Grin Technologies Ltd. Someone here mentioned they have a "bargain bin."

Ownzies said:
I am trying to stick to as low budget as possible while still maintaining quality.
In general: You might luck out, you might strike out. More often, you get what you pay for.

Quality in what sense? Performance? build level? material? design? engineering? reliability? looks? status?

How important to you is the controller-in-hubmotor feature? Most here would advise against it, unless you have specific functional or design reasons for it.

I'm somewhat close to Vancouver, but because of ferries it takes a long time to get there. Quality in the functional aspects, performance, reliability, safety.

Why is the controller in-hub not recommended?

The controller being in the hub is not important to me, it's just offered in the Voilamart kit which is the only one I've seen lots of good feedback on, and was relatively cheap at $700CAD. I'm happy to choose a different one with controller outside of hub if theres a better option.

Can you recommend a better kit? Do kits generally come with mounting hardware for the controller if it is not in-hub?

Is it cheaper to buy the parts seperately instead of a kit?

I'm looking for a 50kmh top speed. I dont weigh much, something like 120lbs

When it comes to motors and kits the leaf bike motors come to my mind: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66489
Seems like a better than average hub motor supplier. I didn’t try one but owners seem happy :wink:, you can ask for a custom winding and actually get it etc..

How much money do you have to spend. As Voliamarat the cheaper end but work. I don't like the controller in the hot hub and hot controller no good. The controller needs air to cool. Outside. How rainy is it ? As water resistant is as best . Grin has most water resistant stuff and more money but quality.

999zip999 said:
How much money do you have to spend. As Voliamarat the cheaper end but work. I don't like the controller in the hot hub and hot controller no good. The controller needs air to cool. Outside. How rainy is it ? As water resistant is as best . Grin has most water resistant stuff and more money but quality.

It's very rainy out here, I'm on the coast. Grin seems good, but it seems like they only sell 250-500w stuff which is definitely not what im looking for. I dont want to spend more than $1000cad on the conversion kit

I'm looking into building my first ebike and I'm.wondering how the speed differs between a 1500w fat tire bike versus a regular mountain bike.

All I need is 50kmh and I dont weigh much, maybe 120lbs.

I'm thinking I will be going with LeafBike. Is this a good kit for a beginner?

Are fatbikes a good build choice for a beginner? I will be using this for some small commutes on roads with 50kmh speed limits, but I'd also like to go down trails and on beaches which is why I'm thinking about going with a fatbike. I've heard that they are not good for commuting, and that the handling is bad among other things. Can anyone give any input on this?

Thank you

Op,
I have been in your shoes last year,
The only advice I can do you give is "Listen to the message in the posts" and don't be in a rush pls.

I made my first one with a bafang 250w geared hub for little zoom zoom and to learn.

From reading here, if you want to fly fast, I would invest in a proper framed bike.

Hub - Leaf 1500w rocks, but their kit is well priced with shipping. As Chalo pointed out, the stock controller works.

The price you quoted for voila seems pretty steep. Not what Leaf kit will run.

Don't forget the battery, buy from a MAJOR brand.

Ownzies said:
Are fatbikes a good build choice for a beginner? I will be using this for some small commutes on roads with 50kmh speed limits, but I'd also like to go down trails and on beaches which is why I'm thinking about going with a fatbike. I've heard that they are not good for commuting, and that the handling is bad among other things. Can anyone give any input on this?
To categorize fat tire bike as good or bad for beginners doesn't make sense. Fat tire bike was developed to solve the difficulty of cycling in the snow, deep loose sand, or deep mud. Outside of these conditions, they are out of their appropriate element. But they sure are in fashion and look cool so the multitudes like them for that so maybe that's why they appeal to beginners? Hmmm maybe your question does have relevance?

Popularity of fat tire bikes to me is like the popularity of the high-lift-kitted jeeps with the monstrous deep-chock tread mudder whomper tires we see whirring down the highways and city streets, most(?) spending all their time on smooth pavement, 0 time in the rough outback (judging from their flawless shiny paint jobs).

Just as the high-lift 4x4s are prone to flipping and tipping, fat tire bikes usually do not corner well, especially at the speeds you are desiring.

Unless your trails are rock-strewn root-covered steep technical challenges you probably can comfortably and safely ride them on a decent hardtail model with a good suspension fork. Many models can take 2.15 - 2.35 width commonly available new generation "balloon" tires that don't even get caught in streetcar R/R tracks.

So my advice (if you haven't perceived yet) is to ignore the fat tire bike lure, unless you substantially ride thru snow, mud, or sand, or unless you is fashionista. 8)

Controller-in-hub is not ideal from most of ours perspectives. As 9zip mentioned, why constantly subject a controller's heat-sensitive components to the hot inner environment of a hubmotor? Also, if the controller fails (they do) you can't simply swap in a spare and get on with it. Or if the motor fails (also happens but not as probable) you're out a controller as well. Or if you later want to improve your hill climbing performance or add additional features (regenerative braking, cruise control, etc.) that requires a controller upgrade.

Controllers are not terribly large or heavy; they are often mounted to the downtube with tie-wraps or simple clamps, or on or under a rear rack. A good place for a rainy locale would be up under the seat (possibly strapped to the seatpost), assuming full fenders.

Voilamart offers a wide range of hubmotors, no? They should have a 1500w hubmotor kit w/ separate controller that is beginner-friendly. Otherwise, Leaf is a solid reputable choice. Tests here have shown their 1500s are among the most efficient.

Get a good battery cold water drill a hole in the bottom so the water is let out and not held inseal a tile use something keep the blades and connectors free from water maybe Vaseline grease there is no such thing as waterproof in the e-bike world

Back