Sale on 32h rims + Are Alex Ace-18 Rim 700C 32h any good? + Lacing soon to come

calab

1 MW
I am just wondering if the Alex Ace-18 rim 700c is a half decent rim?

Looks to have some decent depth by the looks of the 26" model.
Must be an older model as I dont see it on the Alex site.
https://alexrims.com/product-category/wheels/road-wheels/

I need machined sides.

This is for the rear with no hub motor, and to put the bike back to stock requiring 2 rims to be purchased, plus a spare or two so 3 to four Ace-18's rims.
The stock bike hubs are 32h :thumb:
Reviewer says "The width is 16.5mm inside and 21.75mm outside of the rim."
So what rim tape should I get, 15mm?

edit
I bought 6 of those rims because they were on sale and so dirt cheap, only really needed 3. Each one came to like $11.50 8) got no need, I never rode 700c bicycles before but its a sentimental bicycle that I would like to put back to stock form with a little bit of an upgrade.

The stock rims were Bontrager C_____ I think its Contin____ I will have to look. Rim brake rim.
I have the stock hubs.

To be perfectly honest, I just may put a small, wimpy 500w hub motor on the front.

Just went back to where I bought it from to get the regular non sale price and its no longer available with no price attached anymore, so its old stock. I can always return some to the store, or sell 3 of them. I also can not find the E.R.D. and I cant find much info plus I cant find anyone else selling them. With 32 holes I can have the lbs cut the spokes, I bought some a few days ago because I broke 3 while riding and the bikes wheel I was riding at the time (not the one I am building back to stock) went real wobbly. That same lbs had a cassette, rim brake completed wheel for a hundred bucks.

Description

This double wall rim fits MEC Midtown bicycles and similar rides.

Anodized aluminum
Drilled for Presta valves
32 holes with eyelets

Tech specs
Weight 500g (Silver)
Ideal for

Urban cycling
Cycle commuting

Material Anodized aluminum
Size
700C
Tire type
Clincher
Presta
Spoke count 32
Made in Taiwan

I may have to dish to make it perfect and I want to make it perfect, I laced a half dozen now and never dished nothing. I bought some Boiled Linseed Oil to use for spoke prep, even bought me a new red Park Tool spoke wrench, my second ever Park Tool.

Will take 1.5 wks to get delivered, hopefully sooner. Dont ride much now because even the wheel I found is wobbling. 2 spokes on the drive side requires extra work taking off the fw, but its disk only rim but I am using rim brake pads on it knowing it wont last long but it surely is lasting long enough, its a freebie wheel.

In case anyone cares to reread this post by accident seeing its been edited or your reading it for the first time. https://www.mec.ca/en/products/cycling/bike-components/tires-tubes-and-wheels/rims/c/849
Alex Z1000 Rim 24" 32 Hole
$9.93$21.95 55% off

Mavic XM 119 Disc 27.5in. Rim
$26.93$44.95 40% off
I clicked on it to give you this info
ERD 560
Spoke count 32

edit
Alex ACE18 [622] Rim

Alex ACE18 [622] Rim.jpg

Maybe you can get it shipped south, I had other methods to get mine southbound, extended family help.
I will be using 14g straight or 14/15g

Some hubs use 32h

Just need to find a cheaper source of quality spokes. I know its been mentioned many a time on es about
https://www.danscomp.com

calab said:
I need machined sides.

No you don't. You only need rims that have a brake track; they don't need to be machined. That feature is for the convenience of the manufacturer, not the end user.

Alex ACE-18 is a pretty small rim for a big boy.

The overwhelming majority of hub motors are drilled for 36 spokes, not 32.

The stock rim that came with that 2017-2019 Trek Verve 1 hybrid are Bontrager Connection rims (and it says 622x20 on the rim, I measured 25mm outer width. The rim tire charts dont affect me for tire size going from 20 to 18mm inner width. The stock tires are Bontrager H5, 700x45c which I found very wide when I rode it for the terrain I ride (mostly smooth) $55usd tire https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/equipment/cycling-components/bike-tires/hybrid-bike-tires/bontrager-h5-hard-case-ultimate-reflective-hybrid-tire/p/09390/ rim I cant find anywhere, when I did find was $60usd.

I actually prefer what I am riding now the Continental Ride Tour 700C Wire Tire in 37 or 42 width, it seems way narrower to me then 45 which makes me think I have the 37 and I like it.

All I have from the stock bicycle now are both 32h hubs front and rear, a broken rear rim that I had to swap the front rim to lace into the rear hub for non motor (front motor) the front I was in storage.

The entire bike was only $600usd and we had to order it in 3yrs ago. I always thought the XXL frame was to large for the family member when we bought it, so scoring a $10usd rim with free shipping where all of Grins 700 rims are $30-32cdn but s/h will be another $45. When I bought my battery + satiator s/h was $15cdn but $1200cdn, so maybe its just a sliding scale for s/h price, the more stuff I buy the less s/h is.

Chalo - Do you recommend a spoke tension gauge tool, I bet you dont your too old school. Me too :thumb: but I aint as smart or knowledgeable or handy as you. Brake track is what I meant, I just did not know the name. Tthe new Alex Ace-18's will be laced properly with good components and thin spokes doing it all properly, de-stress and I bought some boiled linseed oil. But thanks for correcting me to do a bit of web searching and learning a bit. When I read machined sides I had always thought that it just meant rim brake track, but I was wrong yet again. Thats whats so great about this website is what I have learned. https://www.cyclingforums.com/threads/rims-machined-vs-non-machined-sidewalls-any-real-difference.2388/

I still cant find any info at all on the Alex Ace-18 rim, no E.R.D. info, no info on if its pinned/sleeved/welded. Be good to measure it all for the rim and hubs.
I dont like to narrow a ire as I primarily ride flat smooth surfaces then anything else.

I said some hubs are 32, you know that, is there just the one or two 32h hub?
Is grin the only one?
all - https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/motors.html
32h - https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/motors.html?rim_hole=116

This is a picture for a 26" Alex Ace-18 rim, its a deep rim which is what I like.

th.jpeg

Chalo said:
No you don't. You only need rims that have a brake track; they don't need to be machined. That feature is for the convenience of the manufacturer, not the end user.

Alex ACE-18 is a pretty small rim for a big boy.

The overwhelming majority of hub motors are drilled for 36 spokes, not 32.

----Info for me later if I need it or when the website does not link anymore.----

Trek does not make a XXL Verve 1 2017-2019, I thought mine was XXL but its just XL.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/recreation-bikes/verve/verve-1/p/17054/
ARCHIVED
2017-2019
Verve 1

Verve 1 is an introductory hybrid bike designed for comfort on recreational rides. It has a lightweight aluminum frame, a padded saddle, wide tires for extra stability, and 21 speeds. If you're looking for a quality ride that's dependable, affordable, and full of features that make for a comfortable ride, Verve 1 is an outstanding option.

Specifications

Frameset

Frame
Alpha Gold Aluminum, DuoTrap S compatible, rack & fender mounts

Fork
Steel w/lowrider mounts

Wheels

Front hub
Formula FM21 alloy

Rear hub
Formula FM31 alloy

Rims
Bontrager Connection alloy, 32h

Tires
Bontrager H5, 700x45c

Drivetrain

Shifters
Shimano Altus EF500, 7 speed

Front derailleur
Shimano Tourney TY51

Rear derailleur
Shimano Altus M310

Crank
Forged alloy, 48/38/28 w/chainguard

Bottom bracket
Sealed cartridge

Cassette
SunRace freewheel, 14-34, 7 speed

Chain
KMC Z51

Pedals
Wellgo nylon platform

Components

Saddle
Bontrager padded

Seatpost
Bontrager, 2-bolt head, 27.2mm, 8mm offset

Handlebar
Trek Urban alloy, 45mm rise

Grips
Bontrager Satellite, ergonomic

Stem
Bontrager Quill, 25.4mm, 25 degree

Headset
1-1/8˝, semi-integrated, semi-cartridge bearings

Brakeset
Tektro alloy linear-pull

Weight

Weight
M - 13.18 kg / 29.06 lbs

Weight limit
This bike has a maximum total weight limit (combined weight of bicycle, rider, and cargo) of 300 pounds (136 kg

calab said:
Chalo - Do you recommend a spoke tension gauge tool, I bet you dont your too old school.

I use the Park TM-1 tensiometer mostly. It's not especially accurate or consistent, but it's easy to use quickly, and its measurements are good enough for the job. I have a DT Swiss Tensio, but it's slow and fiddly to use, compared to the Park version. It's also expensive unless you amortize it over a huge number of wheels.

I used to rely on feedback from the rim to tell me when spokes had become as tight as they could reasonably be. But there are some rims (Mavic as one example) that don't tolerate overtension well at all, so now I'm in the habit of looking up rim specs and taking measurements.

$90 ouch, but quality tool compared to the cheaper, not as accurate Jagwire tension tool at 1/3 the price.

For a local bicycle shop, would those guys use one or would it be more personal preference and a coin flip on whether they had one or not in the repair shop?

Spoke tensioning tool wouldnt work if you had too short a spoke. I use 26 on leaf 35h 1500w, think spokes are 168mm, so I wonder what the shortest spoke you could accurately measure with a Park Tool tension tool.
*Nothing comes jumping out - https://www.parktool.com/assets/doc/product/TM-1_instructions.pdf
App looks cool.

Chalo said:
calab said:
Chalo - Do you recommend a spoke tension gauge tool, I bet you dont your too old school.

I use the Park TM-1 tensiometer mostly. It's not especially accurate or consistent, but it's easy to use quickly, and its measurements are good enough for the job. I have a DT Swiss Tensio, but it's slow and fiddly to use, compared to the Park version. It's also expensive unless you amortize it over a huge number of wheels.

I used to rely on feedback from the rim to tell me when spokes had become as tight as they could reasonably be. But there are some rims (Mavic as one example) that don't tolerate overtension well at all, so now I'm in the habit of looking up rim specs and taking measurements.

calab said:
$90 ouch, but quality tool compared to the cheaper, not as accurate Jagwire tension tool at 1/3 the price.

I'm not familiar with that one, but I notice that you can get some no-name clone of the Park tensiometer for about $25 on A**zon. Not super trustworthy, but probably good enough for the home workshop.

The DT Swiss Tensio I was taking about retails for $600 now, though I think I remember paying $240 for mine around 20 years ago.

Back