Ebike handling drills to improve skills?

Square

1 mW
Because ebikes are heavier and much faster than pedal bikes, they handle somewhat differently than regular bikes. Some differences include having to countersteer much more (more gyroscopic effect because of faster speed), having to brake from higher speeds and higher torque.

I am looking for drills and exercises to improve my ebiking skills, both on-road and off-road. I'm thinking about the same kind of drills you have to do to get a motorcycle license in Europe...

Do anybody do this kind of exercises on their ebikes?
Which exercises can you do to improve your ebike handling on the road? And what for off-road handling skills?

Unless your e-bike is a motorcycle with pedals (as many are), basic bicycle skills apply.

I've gone much, much faster on pedal bikes than on e-bikes. I've never ridden any bicycle, pedal or electric, that required more than reflexive subliminal countersteering. Certainly no pushing the handlebar like you do on a heavy motorcycle.

Try to overcomplicate this, and you'll probably crash unnecessarily because you did something dumb in the name of skills training.

Probably one of the more beneficial things you can practice is just being aware on the bike, both of your surroundings of course but also noticing how the bike and you behave. Feel how the bike reacts and how you react. If something feels awkward or uncomfortable stop and evaluate it and maybe try it again. And if there is something you notice you are poor at you can practice that skill and try to improve it instead of burning in the incorrect way you may be doing it.

It seems that there is a lot of skill building information about riding mountain bikes and motorcycles instead of general cycling due to skill curves and skill limits. I think some of them do apply though but probably more of the mountain bikes ones than motorcycle ones. You can find tons of mountain biking drills and skill tutorials that can be easily applied to ebike riding and I think many of the motorcycling ones too, particularly the ones related to traffic safety and road conditions. Understanding traffic awareness is probably more important on and ebike than either a motorcycle or bicycle. You are moving faster than a bike and are smaller than a motorcycle.

scianiac said:
You are moving faster than a bike and are smaller than a motorcycle.

In my case, you're wrong on both counts!

Chalo said:
scianiac said:

Mine, too. ;)

Braking hard enough so the rear wheel lifts. Other than that, testing tires to find their cornering/grip limit on different surfaces. You need to be able to count on your equipment, which means knowing the limitations. And dealing with the extra weight, if converting your bike. Weird day today, but when I was out riding, I had three occassions where I had to brake so hard, I was balancing on my front tire. One clueless person, and two cars with clueless drivers.

Start in a parking lot, then to lightly travelled roads, just like a motorcycle. That was my routine every time I crashed my motorcycles. I'd get on the bike as soon as my body could, and practice hard stops in the parking lot, and rode on some empty winding roads to know the bike again.

You actually ride a bike the same as you ride a motorcycle. The trick with a motorcycle is learning to ride it like a bike, which is why they do the test riding at walking speed in a circle. In real life, you actually have to ride that slow at times, and even harder stuff, like turning around on a hill. If you go from a motorcycle to a bike, you'll have no problem riding the bike the same way you ride your motorcycle; like a bike when slow, and like a motorcycle when fast. If you don't usually ride fast on a bike, then yes, you need to learn how to ride fast on a bike.

I tend to ride my ebike between parking stall curbs, or continually ride up and down a curb, or do big sweeping S turns to get a better feel of my ebike but also to learn to better control my riding, I do this all the time. As a matter of fact, riding from home today, I rode the curb about 20 or so times. I will also play slalom with the orange cones schools put out in front of the school, last week I played slalom with tree's. Knowing what your body weight will do to a bike is important to know, so what happens when you lose a whole person, or 100+ lbs? You need to relearn, put in those aches and pains, suck it up, keep spinning. Slogging it out with the direct drive drag with zero juice left, you dig deep, knowing how far a known good outlet is.

Other games I play to train my body on the bike are
Slalom with the painted lines of a parking lot stalls, this has less repercussions then scrapping the sidewall of a tire (or rim) on a parking stall curb risking potential damage or pinch flat. Slalom with the dash lines, S turns over a solid line at the same frequency.

There is a time and place for that training, of course.
As when I am riding I do not zig zag, only around bumps and cracks, or puddles.

Square said:
Because ebikes are heavier and much faster than pedal bikes, they handle somewhat differently than regular bikes. Some differences include having to countersteer much more (more gyroscopic effect because of faster speed), having to brake from higher speeds and higher torque.

I am looking for drills and exercises to improve my ebiking skills, both on-road and off-road. I'm thinking about the same kind of drills you have to do to get a motorcycle license in Europe...

Which exercises can you do to improve your ebike handling on the road? And what for off-road handling skills?

Most licensed drivers on the road have absolutely NO respect for the term " Right of Way". They will ignore it, when you have it, or try to give it to you, when they have it. Inappropriately. One of the MOST dangerous situations, putting you between the safe zone and the danger zone.

That,... and LEFT TURNS ( in the US) . Any vehicle turning left is inherently much more dangerous, either being driven, or driven close to: Than any other motion on the road by a road going vehicle. Left turns at intersections are dangerous.

In my opinion.

Chalo said:
scianiac said:

I sincerely disagree too. A powered bicycle should make, and take, note of motorcycle safety, regardless. Even at 20/28mph you have a significant amount of forces to be wary of when on a powered bicycle. Sure, you are not going fast enough to deglove your foot on a high speed crash when it gets stuck in the bushes after you lowside, smash into the side of the road, bounce off, and you keep going... ... but you could still bang you r knee pretty hard. Danger is significantly increases wit any kind of speed that is (motorized) greater than a typical bicycle speed. Little accidents happen fast, and you are in a much more dangerous environment.

E-HP said:
, testing tires to find their cornering/grip limit on different surfaces. You need to be

.. Er... how doe that test reap results? Lol. On the ground bleeding?

I know what you say. Go in a field ( low speed) and take a few quick turns, grassy, soft, field. See when the balance point capsizes you, when the angle of lean makes you lose traction. See how your bike reacts. Ect. Spin the tire on a dirt road to see how it rides. Lock up the tire to see how it handles when the wheels are locked. See how you will panic in a front wheel sliding situation and how the bike handles based on the geometry. Become comfy with that.

Honestly, I think conspicuousness is one of the most important factors to be aware of. That, and staying upright in a panic.

HEY SQUARE! . READ THIS.

Might save you life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurt_Report

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_findings_in_the_Hurt_Report

I got my motorcycle license the same week as my drivers license. I have ridden motorcycles since I was about five. 36 years. Got well over 100 thousand miles on motorcycles. Yeah I have had a few follies. They took it away eventually, considering me unfit to drive a vehicle, based on violations. I had it ( mc license) for 28 years and went though two hard crashes on motorcycles. That black snake, that endless memorial, you ride on every day,.... WILL jump up and bite ya some day. Usually when you least expect it.

Most challenging is the tight U-turn and the Figure-8. Remember, it is better to have time and space to " swerve" vs " ride over". Be careful riding on the edge of the road where the small rocks, screws, trash, oily waste, and other hazards live. Pay close attention to drivers who think you are going slow. They will cut in front of you, bully you, get you mad, ignore you, because they are in a 3000-60,000lb car or truck. They will.

Chalo said:
Certainly no pushing the handlebar like you do on a heavy motorcycle.

.. This is an absolute fallacy and misnomer.

Steering effort is based on geometry. A Harley Road kind takes some ( countersteering) effort, true.. Chal.... But... A GSXR does not. Go around the turns without even touching the bars ( "I can ride my bike with no handlebars..." , good song). Light and quick steering on a 350lb motorcycle. Kill ya ded. Still 10x the weight of an ebike.... nimble as a bird on a feather. Leaning to steer, not moving the bars to steer... The difference.

Flip flops are not good for motorcycles. Flops are for bars, when you flick it, not feet, when you ride it. I get the feeling you might feel safe wearing flip flops on an ebike, Chal, the way you represent. I donty. I like to be able to put a foot down to steady myself. One of the things specified in most motorcycle manuals is the constriction of cables, and whatnot, keeping load from the bars action against gravity.

Castor, ( who wut now is this dog talking bout?) and camber ( angles relative to the ground) are very different things. When you look at the root of the geometry. Many bikes have very large differences here in teh geometry design. For reasons. Known reasons.

" The bleeding edge of traction" .. or.. " Bleeding by the edge of the road cause.. tractyion", the primary differences in designs vs speed geometry, lol. Harley dirt tracker vs a Rocketbike on ice... One will stay upright.. one will fall down easy. On the tarmac? One will go fast, one will die trying, to keep up around the turn. Why is that? Bicycles ( highly refined) can also take advantage this knowledge.

Trust me, a Paughco with a Triumph motor, or an S&S 120ci..... is nothing like a GSXR, ZX, CBR, or Hayabusa. When it comes to handling. Entirely based on geometry and weight dist. Harleys do need mindful countersteering actions. Racebikes do not. Harleys need big heavy fat tires to be cool. Hence slow to steer, hard to drop. Race bikes replace " looking cool" with " Traction". Park a race bike, on a kickstand, it may just very well fall over on its own, cause its bitter, its not on a pit stand with tyre warmers. park a Harley on its kickstand, or a Gold Wing, and it stays where it was put.. cause.. well " Looking cool".

Nooope. I could ride the K5 GSXR in my garage without touching the bars ( Damn thing is loud). All day. No effort. Fast. Just lean to turn. I changed the rake and trail on my ebike to make it flick in with less effort. Took more effort based on the ( original) XC bicycle geometry, I had to change it ( modified) and now it is a great lean-steerer. Steering feedback and (tyre) slip angle(s). Important on a two wheeled mass, whether the wheels are in line, or on a bogey. When you are moving forward. Side loaded around a turn.

My 2 cents.

DogDipstick said:
E-HP said:
, testing tires to find their cornering/grip limit on different surfaces. You need to be

.. Er... how doe that test reap results? Lol. On the ground bleeding?

Almost, but you can build up the cornering speed until you feel them starting to break loose. I prefer a tire that starts with a controlled slide rather then maximum grip and then breaking loose. I had an old MGB that handled pretty crappy compared to modern cars, but it was fun in the windys and would slide around every corner, like drifters do today. I had some Goodyear Eagles on my wife's old mustang that would grip really well, and then not. Not as fun to drive to the limit, but could handle great up to that point.
I have a corner going up the hill toward my house that has a curve that I can go pretty fast on and where I wouldn't be too mangled if the bike slid out, so that's a good one for testing on pavement. I think the transition thing Calab mentioned is a good call out. I now alway test the transition between dirt and pavement, since that's why I crashed using the Crazy (Stupid) Bob's I had on at the time. Side knobs are a must for my tires now.

E-HP said:
but it was fun \

Oh yeah. Like a streetbike tire in mud trying to go uphill. Lol. That will teach you to keep your balance. Oh yeah. Know where that limit is.

Another thing. Point your bars forward when sitting at the traffic light, waiting for it to change and the traffic is piling up behind you. Dont cock them to the side.

DogDipstick said:
Chalo said:
Certainly no pushing the handlebar like you do on a heavy motorcycle.

.. This is an absolute fallacy and misnomer.

Steering effort is based on geometry.

You're wrong. Today's most "progressive" MTBs have very motorcycle-like front end geometry, but don't require heavy inputs at the bars like a big MC needs. I'm confident that it has more to do with weight and gyroscopic effects in the heavy wheels at speed than with head angle and fork offset.

calab said:
I tend to ride my ebike between parking stall curbs, or continually ride up and down a curb, or do big sweeping S turns to get a better feel of my ebike but also to learn to better control my riding, I do this all the time. As a matter of fact, riding from home today, I rode the curb about 20 or so times. I will also play slalom with the orange cones schools put out in front of the school, last week I played slalom with tree's. Knowing what your body weight will do to a bike is important to know, so what happens when you lose a whole person, or 100+ lbs? You need to relearn, put in those aches and pains, suck it up, keep spinning. Slogging it out with the direct drive drag with zero juice left, you dig deep, knowing how far a known good outlet is.

Other games I play to train my body on the bike are
Slalom with the painted lines of a parking lot stalls, this has less repercussions then scrapping the sidewall of a tire (or rim) on a parking stall curb risking potential damage or pinch flat. Slalom with the dash lines, S turns over a solid line at the same frequency.

There is a time and place for that training, of course.
As when I am riding I do not zig zag, only around bumps and cracks, or puddles.

Square said:

We should ride together, I'm in SoCal. I enjoy each creative obstacle (curb, logs stairs, sand, steps up a drops down) I can visualize a line working out through while on a ride. When the same obstacles get too easy, try going into them at bad angles or bad speeds, too high or low. As a guy who broke a lot before wearing gear, and seemed to taper off after wearing useful protective gear, i like to overkill it on gear if Im pushing new skills, like soft d3o armor under hard shell armor. When your wrecks become less frequent, choose bigger obstacles or combine bad spacing obstacle combinations. The dynamics of a bicycle permit that appreciate rider input is capable of eliminating most terrain related wrecks. Sometimes through the rider making a precisely timed bunny hop, appropriate weight shifting, or adequate braking or cornering skills.

Eventually the obstacles you encounter in the wild tend to be smaller, coming at better angles with better spacing than what you train on, and if you're blessed you tend to stay rubber side down through them.

Square said:

Well working on your static position helps wonders. Try balancing on the bike without putting your feet down and do this for about 30 minutes a day. If you can only do it for a second at two that’s fine you’ll get better if you stay with it. Another overlooked exercise that’s non-bike related is doing planks. Improving your core strength and getting those muscles to fire will greatly improve your balance while riding bicycles or motorcycles.

As far as some drills you could do just get some basic orange cones and weave in and out of them and work on getting them closer and closer without putting your foot on the ground. You could also practice just riding small circles around one of the cones and alternate each way.

Oh and the cool thing with practicing the static balance as you can do it inside your house you don’t even need to go outside.

If he can do it you can do it!
https://youtube.com/shorts/8dCKzII5qjQ?feature=share

True. But there the OTHER obstacles or the on timely thing like my slime tube leak at the stem and it lubed my tire win I had to brake so as not to hit a car and the whole tire rotate in Milla second and crashed . I have 40,000miles plus on this bike . And many more on the others I live by the beach. And some people have just drove 60 miles to get to the beach and turn into zombies with the smell of the ocean. Oh I cracked my head and broke my collarbone.
You can't ride and not brake bones.
Plus Luke you haven't a word here as your Bikes name is Dead Bike. Go figure. Is on vedio.

Back