Inclusion with transportation costs - US government grants?

I just converted my first ebike which made me very proud the first time I rode it around. As cars line up to get on the highway, I just zip on by even when you can barely squeeze by. I already thought cars were ridiculous but now it just reaffirms, why are we using these giant hunks of steel to move around one person at a time?

So with ebikes becoming more ubiquitous in the US and random people getting curious, someone asked me "how fast can you go?" yesterday. I had the idea that it would be a wonderful thing to include those who rely on expensive cars and gas to start down the ebike trail. I initially thought of a program where you'd apply for a government grant to source old bikes and buy new ebike motors and batteries. You'd identify those who are in financial need for transport and then connect them with the program.

However, I have no experience in writing grants and wouldn't know where to start how to identify who would best qualify for such a program. There are better people with more knowledge out there who could do this.

This would also lead to further issues. What happens with the bike when there's a hiccup with the motor or battery? Do these bikes just become discarded? You'd need people to assist with the repair.

Then this weekend I see that my city recently launched an ebike program that offers people who receive government assistance to pay $10/year to use their ebikes around town.

After seeing this, I feel like the city program is probably a much more logical way to do something like this. But for those interested in such issues as transportation equity, how would you see this kind of a city program vs something like I proposed?

Ebike conversion is a on a trajectory to collide with government.

I'm optimistic that it won't actually collide in my lifetime, either because no one really cares that much or because the current factors change in some way. But currently, most states pick up on ebike regulations promoted by the industry (under the somewhat deceptive name "People for Bikes") that govern parameters of the motor like high speed cutoff and maximum rated watts. The only practical way these parameters can be at all enforceable, is if the bicycles all come from a limited set of factories. Like cars do. No one wants to have to figure out where the little switches are on your garage build that enable various things, and put it on a dynanometer to see what it will do.

Then there's the problem a sponsoring agency would be faced with, monitoring the outcome of its grant support. Are the bicycles safe, are they cost effective, are users benefiting as much as they should? etc. When no one at the office understands a thing about ebikes.

For these reasons and for the same underlying reason (the effectiveness of the industry lobby), my guess is that support for any alternative to industry ebikes is going to have to come from non-governmental sources.

Perhaps it would be easier to set it up as a charity instead of a government program and solicit donations from corporations. Most people will not be interested in DIY. You will need factory ebikes. You will have enough problems overcoming Americans love of cars without convincing a busy single mom to build and maintain her own ebike. In the US people don't want to bicycle commute for many reasons: The helmet will mess up their hair, they will get sweaty, they will get rained on, the bike will get stolen, they need to run errands or meet friends after work etc.

Back