Do I need to replace the chain for mid-drive?

Andreas534

100 µW
Hi!

Converting a bike with front:
48t
38t
28t

to a TSDZ2 with front:
42t

Rear cassette 8.

Do I need to replace the chain?

Attachments

• 5E5F27FB-4168-453C-B81C-2DEAB61D3F06.jpeg
    5E5F27FB-4168-453C-B81C-2DEAB61D3F06.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 682
  • 3016DDBC-1F6D-46D3-B95D-FD2F95BA1F51.jpeg
    3016DDBC-1F6D-46D3-B95D-FD2F95BA1F51.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 682
No, but do shift with the motor cut out. I keep a chain and chain tool on every one of my mid drives. Shifting with a motor cutout means my chains last several thousand miles. Spendy eBike chains are overrated for TSDZ2 setups. IME.

You might run into clearance issues where your cables run under the bottom bracket?
Haven't done a TSDZ2 install, but the Bafang ones are really tight there....

You'll get better shifting and a longer interval before things get worn out of you replace both the chain and the cassette at the same time you install your mid drive.

At the least, you should use a chain checker to gauge the old chain's existing elongation, to be sure you're not starting with a worn out chain and sprockets. They wear together, and new parts rapidly get worn to match any old parts they mesh with.

Voltron said:
You might run into clearance issues where your cables run under the bottom bracket?

Not the same. But it may not fit as they install where the kick stand mount is and the picture looks as if it’ll be a no go. Speak with eyecycle.

A solvable issue with BBSxx series. A longer screw and spacer or a BBSxx Stabilizer Bar.

https://i0.wp.com/www.darkerside.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/IMG_20200319_1659392.jpg?w=1060&ssl=1

Voltron said:

Yes the black cable guide will meet my dremmel. Or I will move and reroute the cable altogether. Definitely wont fit as is now, TSDZ2 is even a tighter fit than Bafang. Kickstand will go as well. I hope I can fit the motor after that. If it still fails I guess I have to file a bit in the frame.

Eastwood said:
If you’re on a budget, wing it. If you want to do it right, replace the whole drive train like chalo suggested.

If you defer the maintenance, it's only an incremental cost of maybe $15, for the TSDZ2 chainring. So you can ride it until it starts skipping or the chain breaks, then replace it all.

Or just put up with it until your fed up with dealing with it and fix it right, later.

E-HP said:
If you defer the maintenance, it's only an incremental cost of maybe $15, for the TSDZ2 chainring. So you can ride it until it starts skipping or the chain breaks, then replace it all.

calab said:
Or just put up with it until your fed up with dealing with it and fix it right, later.

E-HP said:

I think of it more like $15 for testing/training, learning to shift, etc. by using the existing drivetrain. Then replace. It currently doesn't look too bad, since it's only been subject to leg power.

I'd take a closer look at that derailleur though. Looks sort of like there's a crack in the plastic on the side where the cage plate attaches.

Thanks for your advice. I am not on a budget so I have booked a time at a bike-shop to get an overall service and change cassette and chain. Seems reasonable to do now and get a better experience from start. I do this mostly as a fun project and like to focus on things I find fun to do.

Andreas534 said:
Thanks for your advice. I am not on a budget so I have booked a time at a bike-shop to get an overall service and change cassette and chain. Seems reasonable to do now and get a better experience from start. I do this mostly as a fun project and like to focus on things I find fun to do.

Maybe jump on YouTube and learn how to do it yourself since you’re building a conversion bike. It’s super simple :thumb:
With the money you’ll spend at the bike shop you could use that money to buy the tools and have it for the rest of your life. Just figure out which cog removal tool you need which is in the description of this video.
https://youtu.be/9KAaP7pbFV0

Here’s the other tool you’ll need, chain whip
Park Tool SR-12.2 Sprocket Remover/Chain Whip for 7- to 12-Speed Bicycle Cassettes https://a.co/d/8P0KdWW

Use this for the chain, Plus this is a multi tool you could keep with you and it has everything you’ll need for that bike while out riding. I never leave home without it!
Crankbrothers M19 Multi-Tool + Case
https://a.co/d/bfMa2Ri

Back