52 v battery with 250w motor? Controller options??

HI,

I have a currie ezip Skyline (copy pasted specs at bottom of questions). I use it to haul a trailer. It's main limitations are speed uphill and range. I can live with moving slowly but I would like to squeeze out a little more distance and low range power.

I think the batteries I have are part of the problem. I am trying to balance the purchase of a new battery. I would ideally like to get something of larger voltage (36,48,52v) that I could use w/ my present system and that would continue to work if I move on to a newer system. I have been looking at overvolting the my system as an option. This morning I opened my controller it is has a sticker on the outside that calls it 24v 20A. Inside there are from what I can tell 3 35v 470uf capacitors and a box (transformer?) SAETONG NO: 30A 14 VDC STAMR-219P-24F. There are three smaller capacitors that say CL (M) 105 Celsius. There are also two shunts I think.

Can I make a (36,48,52v) battery work with this controller and 250v motor?

MOTOR 250W of Power from a DC Brushed Earth Magnet Motor
MOTOR SPECIFICATIONS 20 Nm Peak Torque, 6.2 Nm Rated Torque, 250 Watts
BATTERY EV Rated Li-ion type 24V10Ah 240Wh, Mounted Behind the Seat Tube, Advanced BMS
CHARGE SYSTEM UL Listed Currie Smart Charger with LED Status Display
CONTROLLER Exclusive Currie Electro-Drive® 24 Volt Fully Potted with Power Gauge Function
TOP SPEED 15 mph / 24 km/h (Rider Weight, Rider Input and Terrain Contingent)
RANGE 15 - 22 Miles / 24 - 35 km with Normal Pedaling (Rider Weight, Rider Input and Terrain Contingent).
DRIVE Patented Currie Electro-Drive® System, Shimano Rear Derailleur, Shimano Revoshifter, Shimano 6 Speed Freewheel
BRAKES Alloy Linear Pull with Alloy Motor Inhibit Levers
WHEELS Alloy Front QR Hub, Alloy 26” Double Wall Rims
TIRES Currie Comfort Tires 26” x 1.75"
HANDLEBAR/STEM Mid-Rise Bar and Adjustable Stem
FORKS Suspension with Fender Eyelets
USER CONTROLS Power On/Off Switch, PAS/TAG Key Switch, Easy Access Charger Port in Removable Battery Pack, Twist Throttle with Battery Gauge
SADDLE Comfort Design, Steel Seatpost
FRAME Exclusive Currie Aluminum, Fender and Rack Mounts
CRANKS AND PEDALS Alloy 42T Crankset, with chainguard, Resin Non-Slip Pedals
NET WEIGHT 52 lbs / 24 kg
SIZES Diamond Frame, Low Step Frame
BATTERY LIFE 500 Cycles
CHARGE TIME 4-6 Hrs

I don't think the controller can handle more than 24v. You could find a new controller that will work at a higher voltage and they are very inexpensive but would take a little work to figure out all the wires.

Do you know if the motor is brushed or brushless? A brushed motor will only have two fat wires coming out of it.

I have a 52v 14ah battery pack. I was hoping to use it to power an old Ezip Skyline (specs below). Is there a controller I could buy that would accommodate or should I just wire it up w present controller and see what happens?? Would that be dangerous??

eZip
MODEL:
Skyline

ELECTRIC BIKE CLASS:
Throttle on Demand (Class 2)

TOTAL WEIGHT:
52 lbs (23.58 kg)

WHEEL SIZES:
26 in (66.04cm)

Electronic Details
MOTOR TYPE:
Rear-Mounted Geared Motor 9 T sprocket and 20 T Freewheel

MOTOR NOMINAL OUTPUT:
250 watts
BATTERY VOLTAGE:
24 volts
BATTERY AMP HOURS:
10 ah
BATTERY WATT HOURS:
240 wh
BATTERY CHEMISTRY:
Lithium-ion
CHARGE TIME:
6 hours
ESTIMATED MIN RANGE:
15 miles (24 km)
ESTIMATED MAX RANGE:
25 miles (40 km)

TOP SPEED:
15 mph (24 kph)

Look up DRKAngle he loves those old ezips. And probably has a link for parts cheap
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47924#p704497
https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Speed-Controller-Reversible-Switch/dp/B08FBD5RLW/ref=sr_1_149?crid=1RE2KO00KZTII&keywords=dc+motor+speed+controller&qid=1648871421&sprefix=dc+motor+%2Caps%2C196&sr=8-149
To 60v I think 8amp ? Bamn
It also says 20amp ?
Where a helmet as you're going to be doing Wheels

onetearless said:
or should I just wire it up w present controller and see what happens?? Would that be dangerous??

Not dangerous. You just have to be OK with not having a bike to ride if you fry it. It's more likely a when, not an if, if the caps are 35v.

Then you can replace it with something like this I guess, but with a little less power.
https://www.amazon.com/L-faster-Scooter-Controller-Tricycle-36V1000W/dp/B07MB3QCPG/ref=asc_df_B07M6CJ2M1/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475718381184&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9088086090194866895&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032086&hvtargid=pla-1128795756455&th=1&psc=1

Back