How do you store your batteries safely indoors?

Enkidu

10 mW
I recently bought a kit from Grin Tech to electrify my Bike Friday New World Tourist. Since I live in Michigan where it goes below freezing sometimes for weeks I will need to store the battery indoors during the winter. The battery is a 36V 19.3 Ah Panasonic NCR21700A and is 365x95x100 mm (14.3x3.7x4 inches).

What do you use to store batteries indoors?

Thank you
Zack S

If you don't use your oven, you could put it in there. Some people get an old ammo can to put the batteries in, but that won't stop the toxic smoke from filling your home and flammable materials around the can could catch fire from the heat. The can should be vented to prevent pressure build up and an explosion. Other options are to put an old fridge in your backyard and put an incandescent lightbulb in it to keep it above freezing. They also sell battery storage units that can be vented to the outside of your house. Grin made batteries use quality cells and and BMS' so they are much less likely to catch fire than a cheap Chinese battery. I am not aware of any Grin batteries catching fire. Of course any battery can be a risk if it becomes damaged.

RunForTheHills said:
If you don't use your oven, you could put it in there. Some people get an old ammo can to put the batteries in, but that won't stop the toxic smoke from filling your home and flammable materials around the can could catch fire from the heat. The can should be vented to prevent pressure build up and an explosion. Other options are to put an old fridge in your backyard and put an incandescent lightbulb in it to keep it above freezing. They also sell battery storage units that can be vented to the outside of your house. Grin made batteries use quality cells and and BMS' so they are much less likely to catch fire than a cheap Chinese battery. I am not aware of any Grin batteries catching fire. Of course any battery can be a risk if it becomes damaged.

Thanks! I did not even know what BMS until you mentioned it and then I looked it up. Looks like I bought a good battery.

I do have some large metal boxes that I could use. And I also have two Ryobi 40v batteries that I need to store in the house and could put those in metal boxes also.

Maybe I will buy some of these and put them in the metal boxes; https://www.amazon.com/FLASLD-Lipo-Battery-Safe-Explosionproof/dp/B09Q6FPGZ5/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?gclid=CjwKCAjwt7SWBhAnEiwAx8ZLaspFxIZ9kcB2wYUqzBWvpUomkEucDXFLgMB7wetS149K1KXX5W5_cRoCR8YQAvD_BwE&hvadid=409938570135&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9016829&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=8837140887216578523&hvtargid=kwd-374580799328&hydadcr=2172_11257522&keywords=fireproof+bag+for+lipo+batteries&qid=1657666967&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzQ1BGTjdFUFUwRjVKJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzAzNjM3NU9aNkEwVDJHTFk3JmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyODYzNTBNVDNYTko4SUlINVYmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

People messing with LI batteries - especially charging - anywhere near buildings housing other humans

really need to spend many many hours learning how to care for them test them, ongoing monitoring of resistance and capacity changes

ready to discard/recycle them long before obvious symptoms of approaching EOL start to show.

So many deadly fires now,will only be increasing,bringing onerous regulations down on all our heads.

Better to find a place where a large bonfire would do no harm.

Or at least go with lower density but MUCH safer LFP.

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

LI-ION batts:

1. Charging - I charge my cells to 3.7v for storage
2. BMS - Thermal sensor - make sure the BMS as thermal sensor to detect overheating.
3. Winter - keep in garage at storage charge level, don't keep it them plugged in.

understand how your battery works and the components.

I use a laser thermal probe to check battery temps the first few times I charge it. I keep charge current at 1 A or 2 A max.

Zach,
You bought a premium product from one of the best ( from what I can determine ) 'noun?
Please consider calling the Grin team on the telephone and talk over you're planned usage.
Or I misunderstood
Good Luck
MV
Enkidu said:
I recently bought a kit from Grin Tech to electrify my Bike Friday New World Tourist. Since I live in Michigan where it goes below freezing sometimes for weeks I will need to store the battery indoors during the winter. The battery is a 36V 19.3 Ah Panasonic NCR21700A and is 365x95x100 mm (14.3x3.7x4 inches).

Thank you
Zack S

Storing them is not really the problem. Its when chargers and bms's go wrong while its charging that is the problem. It was while charging that my garage burned down. Don't be asleep like I was then. Outside, or really watch them while charging so you can do something before the fireball is the size of the room.

Not a bad idea though, to put them in a steel toolbox or something like that for overnight. Good to have them in there while they charge, buying you a few more seconds to get that smoking thing outside before it really goes off.

Now that I scared the shit out of you, bear in mind that battery fires, despite the stories like mine, are reallllllllllllllly rare. Even more rare when you buy a quality battery.

So store it in a metal box, and don't sleep or leave the house when its charging. Basic simple precautions, and don't worry too much.

Enkidu said:
And I also have two Ryobi 40v batteries that I need to store in the house and could put those in metal boxes also.

You are way over-blowing the real risk of a fire. I have these Ryobi 40v batteries too and looked inside. They are very well designed and very safe. There are easily over 200 million power packs for tools of various kinds in the USA alone. And they don't catch fire.

The vast majority of fires I hear about are Christmas trees, geniuses not paying their bills and using gasoline in kerosene heaters indoors, and overloaded/DIY wiring in old houses.

Humans have trouble processing large numbers and evaluating real risks. Everyone is worried about getting shot by a mass shooter when they are much more likely to meet their demise by falling in the bathroom or from a ladder, or even be crushed by a falling tree branch. :lol:

I have mine sitting next to my desk, along with my Ryobi batteries. I checked the voltage after 6 months or so, and it was the same as when I put it there.

Enkidu said:
You bought from a quality supplier, so already you're overall chances of fire are extremely low.
For total safety- don't charge the thing unless you can directly put eyes on it, and only charge when it's at room temperature. NEVER charge or run from cold, because that'll damage them quick and increase your internal resistance- leading to that fire issue. I would next say, if you can read the voltage off the BMS from the pack itself; if you don't have the Grin cycle statiator, only charge to the full 4.2 volts ~once a month for balancing and otherwise, stop charging once it reaches 4 to 4.1 volts.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that a battery that's off the charger, not being used, and at a cell voltage less than the maximum of 4.2 volts can only go to fire if a cell is suddenly punctured or damaged. Otherwise, they're perfectly safe.

john61ct said:
really need to spend many many hours learning how to care for them test them, ongoing monitoring of resistance and capacity changes
How would we do that? I only just learned about handheld Internal resistance testers on Amazon.

I did buy a Satiator from Grin which will give me a lot of peace of mind.

I will only charge it when I am awake as this makes a lot of sense.

Thanks all for the replies!

I have a stack of 80 volt Greenworks batteries and about 10 Nissan Leaf modules in my back bedroom, two laptop computers and any number of battery driven tools which I routinely keep about the house.
The risk of fire is very low if the batteries are not on the charger or in harsh use.
Don't worry, be happy

A large ammo can, latched with lid gasket removed and several grommet lined holes for charger wire and pressure relief. Soon to be lined with ceramic fiber cloth like my wife’s kiln. Smoke detector and welding glove close at hand. Because of the number of batteries a flammable cabinet that will hopefully hold out till the fire department gets here. Under 5 minutes away. Paranoid? Who, me?

Attachments

• EB205F8E-0EED-47F6-A27D-DA257DCFD4E4.jpeg
    EB205F8E-0EED-47F6-A27D-DA257DCFD4E4.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 2,070
Store them at 37v-36v and check the store voltage before storing and after a time check the voltage if 3.6v below first check I would worry. But with Justin the overlord I would fill very safe and better then roybi. How many lithium ion battery packs are in the world how many fires do you hear about. The worst thing about lions fire is the greases heavy smoke.

A closed up ammo can in a fire would not off end gas could make a bomb. Physicies expanding gas. Boom.
I wouldn't worry. Never ever over discharge. Never ever. Because at charging my make Fire. Don't worry. Just light one up Don't worry.

A fire department gets there then unrolls that fire trucks hose and hope the trucks pump works. Did you know that after the first trucks pump doesn't work or maybe no water ? They asked where is the water hydrantv what the garage is burning . So 2nd fire truck here and 18 fireman one with a gun and a yellow hat . Second truck needs it own holes and more time. Very small fire but with wax and batteries much damage do to heat from delay and build up of heat then water cold and then heat rises and melts all hanging from ceiling. Titanium skis graphite skis Graphite fishing poles all melted

All 18 Ferman Ford trucks standing around and they couldn't figure it out and then when they left one of the three firemen that went in the garage looked at my house instead that we could have used that holds it was only five feet away and a very small Fire by the time the first fire department trout didn't work and the second one had to roll out its own hose and then after that they came up with this gas powered fan and they couldn't get it started

999zip999 said:
A closed up ammo can in a fire would not off end gas could make a bomb. Physicies expanding gas. Boom.
I wouldn't worry. Never ever over discharge. Never ever. Because at charging my make Fire. Don't worry. Just light one up Don't worry.

have a look at commercial lithium fire containers. No boom and they do exhaust and not explode. The lid gasket removed and vents will compensate.

And the winning post after much over reaction…

Dogman really nails it. My batteries are at storage charge of 3.7v per cell. In ammo cans of flammable cabinet in a MN basement. They do not spontaneously combust. You don’t need yo be an expert to be safe.

I have left batteries in a garage.

A common range shared by several good sources is -20 ~ +50°C (-4°F ~ + 122°F)

dogman dan said:
Storing them is not really the problem. Its when chargers and bms's go wrong while its charging that is the problem. It was while charging that my garage burned down. Don't be asleep like I was then. Outside, or really watch them while charging so you can do something before the fireball is the size of the room.

Not a bad idea though, to put them in a steel toolbox or something like that for overnight. Good to have them in there while they charge, buying you a few more seconds to get that smoking thing outside before it really goes off.

Now that I scared the shit out of you, bear in mind that battery fires, despite the stories like mine, are reallllllllllllllly rare. Even more rare when you buy a quality battery.

So store it in a metal box, and don't sleep or leave the house when its charging. Basic simple precautions, and don't worry too much.
Heres a commonly use cell, 35E, storage specifications see graphic below. -4F for a low limit. But since ride all winter several at leadt onevis at 70-80%. Fully charged by planning and weather watching. Below 20F becomes pretty brutal without snowmobile level gear.

Attachments

• F4700E95-198A-4CA3-B3F7-4D173321F4FE.png
    F4700E95-198A-4CA3-B3F7-4D173321F4FE.png
    210.8 KB · Views: 1,660
Has anyone tried these safety battery boxes ?
Made for Lipo, I guess it will work also for li-ion ?

https://www.bat-safe.com/

Jil said:
Has anyone tried these safety battery boxes ?
Made for Lipo, I guess it will work also for li-ion ?

https://www.bat-safe.com/
. Charging space: 9.5*6.5*14.5 inch / 240*165*380mm, not big enough for many packs and OUT OF STOCK A military ammo can with ceramic blanket lining and some modifications can work VERY well. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ceramic+fiber+blanket&i=arts-crafts&crid=SMQR8E2V74RX&sprefix=Ceramic+Fiber+%2Carts-crafts%2C92&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_14

OVENS? NO!!!!
Maybe for charging if 1) you live alone and 2) can't go outside.
Somebody is going turn on the oven to preheat it without looking inside,
and things will not go well.

Even a discarded one disconnected, but that would only slow a potential disaster.
Besides have you seen what ovens are going for?

Ask a fire marshall/inspector .
Visualize one of the YT messes inside your home.
Before proceeding

Additional question : do batteries catch fire ONLY when charging (or discharging) ?
Is there any feedback about a battery not charging nor discharging, catching fire spontaneously ?

Back