Need some help/advise on a build.

Gemini8026

100 µW
Hey all. Need a little help/advice on a build I am working on.

First things first. Im doing this because I enjoy working in the garage and learning. Im 42 and got my first garage 2 years ago. I have been in it a lot since and I would rather build something then just go buy an overpriced Biktrix or something.

I have built 2 ebike conversions. One a trek xcalibur with a BBS02. Happy with the build and its been a fine bike.

Then I wanted more power and to try out a fatty with a BBSHD so I did up a 52 volt Northrock XCF fat bike. Killer fun, but one major gripe. For the trails I ride I find that having a suspension is really nice. My trek has a fork and suspension seat. The fatbike needs some suspension, but that wont happen. Its also a small frame for my 6'1 body.

I dont love cadence sensors either after using them. I want to try the ULTRA and it's torque sensor.

Soooooo. I decided to look on Alibaba to see if I could source a frame and then do up a kit! A frame is a frame and as long as it is aluminum and I can tell it is welded ok then I am not too worried. I found a good 19" frame that will accept a 20AH 52 dorado reention battery.

However where it gets a little tricky is that these frames arent always built to standards. First case in point. The rear wheel is a 190mm axle when 197 seems to be the standard for higher end bikes. So this is where I am having my issue. I didnt want to use garbage cheap components, but there are NOT a ton of fork/wheel options that are reasonable in my budget. There is no middle range. It's either alibaba junk, or 1000$cdn for a Bluto or a Mastodon. I could get a "cheaper" RST Renegade but then here is my next issue. Where can a guy buy a decent 150mm 26" tire with a thru axel?!? Ditto for a rear.

Through axles seem to be rare on the cheap market, yet I do not get why.

Long story short, does a guy have to spend more when going this route?!? Or should I expect to spend big $$$ on a quality wheelset with thru axles?

Back