EV charging stations = certain ebikes also can charge?

Nvreloader

1 mW
It appears that some Ebikes can now be able to use the EV charging stations,
with the use of adaptor, see info below,
https://bikeportland.org/2022/03/16/a-local-e-bike-rider-has-found-a-way-to-charge-at-ev-charging-stations-built-for-cars-350386/amp

A local e-bike rider has found a way to juice-up at EV charging stations built for cars - BikePortland
If you aren’t following the electric cargo bike adventures of Tigard resident and ubiquitous Portland rider Shawne Martinez yet, you are missing out.
Shawne logs serious miles and is always pushing the boundaries of what’s possible with an e-bike as he regularly pedals from his home on the...
I'll add that to my bag of tricks, may come in handy.
Tia,
Don

Now that you can easily find j1772 sockets, I wonder how long it will be until somebody posts a DIY solution? It could prove useful to a lot of people. 💡

Attachments

• 2022-09-07 14_13_48-J1772 16A 32A 40A 50A 70A 80A Plug, 16A AC Connector, Level 2 Input for El...png
    2022-09-07 14_13_48-J1772 16A 32A 40A 50A 70A 80A Plug, 16A AC Connector, Level 2 Input for El...png
    209.9 KB · Views: 1,237
Per the information/photo's provided, (you don't have to buy/make any adaptors),
this adapter J1772 socket has 1-3 standard 120 plugs that fit any standard ebike,
charger, and allows you charge your bike with it's standard charger etc.

I checked my OEM charger and it's a 220-240v model charger @ 5a, and everything would connect up.
I'll have to check the local EV charger station and see what info is posted etc.
Tia,
Don

nicobie said:
Now that you can easily find j1772 sockets, I wonder how long it will be until somebody posts a DIY solution?
I built one with off the shelf parts. Not hard at all. You can start with one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274521861625

You have to ensure that your charger takes 120/240V but that's not hard.

My charger will take 240V 2A, my question is what is the benefit of using a charging station?

To make any significant difference to battery charge you will need to leave it for quite a while (hrs), and not sure if I fancy leaving my ebike complete with battery out in the open for that length of time, thieves will soon learn....

Even a 4/5A charger will take some time to register a difference?

Isn't it just easier to go to a coffee shop/pub etc, and use the power sockets there that ppl use every day for charging phones/laptops, pretty much everywhere these days will let you do that - and you haven't left the most expensive part of the ebike in wild to be stolen....the battery?

portals said:
My charger will take 240V 2A, my question is what is the benefit of using a charging station?
At that rate it's only worth it if you have no other option.

However, I have one of those 3kW Huawei rectifiers that will push 3000 watts from 240 volts, and that _is_ useful. I also have a pot so I can dial it back and not exceed a 1C charge rate for whatever battery configuration I have at the time.

As a bonus, at those power levels the fan is so loud that it is VERY obvious if anyone tries to mess with it.

Inspired by Shawne's charging adventures, I bought one of those adapters. (for more like $100 than $165)

I'm just plugging it onto my Grin Satiator, so it's certainly not doing anything that you can't do with an AC outlet, but it means that in the 15 minutes that I wait for a burrito at my favorite food cart I can also leave with 100wh more than I arrived with.

portals said:

As others have pointed out, I too have a charger that will push 3000 watts -- EV stations are actually one of the few places I can fully take advantage. You can ride till near zero battery, plug in, and have a full battery 40minutes later. With a large battery, that's hours of riding, a lunch break, and a long return trip.

slow charge/AC mode is easy with the correct passive adapter, if anyone with a high voltage battery can get dc quickcharge to work that would be impressive.

dogethedog02 said:
slow charge/AC mode is easy with the correct passive adapter, if anyone with a high voltage battery can get dc quickcharge to work that would be impressive.

Don't quote me on it, but as far as I know, DC direct charging stations start at around 200v in most places. Makes it difficult to step that down to the voltage of most ebikes, say 48-72v. But i totally agree, if it could be managed, and your battery could handle the high current, that would be awesome.

harrisonpatm said:
Don't quote me on it, but as far as I know, DC direct charging stations start at around 200v in most places. Makes it difficult to step that down to the voltage of most ebikes, say 48-72v.

Yeah, I originally started researching the protocols to make a plug that would eliminate the entire ac->dc charger you have to carry so you could go direct dc. However, every station spec I could find the low end is 200v; and the market for DCDC step downs from 200->(48-72) is...not exactly large :)

How would this work with a controller and coil that you can charge the battery through like an adapto bms controller or a power velocity foc controller through one of the phase wires and I guess the negative battery of course I don't know nothing about it but what small pieces of information I have read. It also says it needs a lower voltage than the battery for the controller to charge through the coil to the battery help me out with this question.
PS at the beach West Coast it's sunset and it's hard to reread my talk to text.

Cmon guys it’s so simple, you could spend as little as $40, do your research

Attachments

• 4717400C-D749-47E8-9A8D-7CA707D5C379.jpeg
    4717400C-D749-47E8-9A8D-7CA707D5C379.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 706
  • D18C82F6-460C-4113-97FC-56C1BB7811CC.png
    D18C82F6-460C-4113-97FC-56C1BB7811CC.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 706
Can someone please explain the pin out on the picture supplied by Tony 01 ?
And after I make this adapter I can use 110 volt charger ? 72v 15amp 3x meanwell chargers or grin charger @ 72v 4.5amp or maybe a cheap small buck charger ?

999zip999 said:
And after I make this adapter I can use 110 volt charger ? 72v 15amp 3x meanwell chargers or grin charger @ 72v 4.5amp or maybe a cheap small buck charger ?

Dude since you are SO lazy to search for a whopping 20 minutes or even 1 hour of your time I will SELL you that one that I custom made with 10awg cables spliced to two plugs for $100 shipped. I’m not just going to hand it to you like that man. Put some time in man. 10k posts what did you do??!!

Tony01 as smart as you are I thought you might want to share the pro's and con's of plugging into a 240v charging station. As I haven't mess with 240v at all. It sounds scary.

Tony01 said:
999zip999 said:

Dude since you are SO lazy to search for a whopping 20 minutes or even 1 hour of your time I will SELL you that one that I custom made with 10awg cables spliced to two plugs for $100 shipped. I’m not just going to hand it to you like that man. Put some time in man. 10k posts what did you do??!!

Bro, that plug is a 240V, potential 7+ Kilowatt charger. He may be asking just to be safe. Chill.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
Bro, that plug is a 240V, potential 7+ Kilowatt charger. He may be asking just to be safe. Chill.
A 240v plug is not a charger. Sure I’ll help. Buy my plug. Hey did you ever search “j1772” here and read the 14 pages of posts??

Attachments

• 2D67A5C2-0351-4A18-88DE-C109BB08F70D.png
    2D67A5C2-0351-4A18-88DE-C109BB08F70D.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 489
Back