Power Inverter for Electric Bike Battery

LewTwo

1 MW
I have a couple of old sine wave 12 Volt DC to 120 Volt AC inverters.
I used to have then installed in my vehicle to occasionally run a power tool.

Maybe I live a sheltered life but this is the first time I can recall seeing a 120 AC Volt inverter specifically advertised for an E-Bike.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B157TX2G

Must have it you want to run those big boom boxes and jam to Run DMC, beats carrying size D cells I guess, I use one source of power!
8)

LewTwo said:
I have a couple of old sine wave 12 Volt DC to 120 Volt AC inverters.
I used to have then installed in my vehicle to occasionally run a power tool.

Maybe I live a sheltered life but this is the first time I can recall seeing a 120 AC Volt inverter specifically advertised for an E-Bike.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B157TX2G

Good find. I did a bunch of research online about a year ago and couldn't find anything like this. I ended up using my old 12V buck converter for charging phones, etc., off my old 14S pack. I wonder if that unit would work with 14S?

E-HP said:
Good find. I did a bunch of research online about a year ago and couldn't find anything like this. I ended up using my old 12V buck converter for charging phones, etc., off my old 14S pack. I wonder if that unit would work with 14S?
Not that good ... those are Chinese AC plugs. The 600 watt one will not take a 3 prong (grounded) US plug. They may also be 50 Hz (as they fail to specify the frequency). FYI: The vendor marketing them is the same one I got Bafang mid drive from. No complaints there.

i wonder how many of those inverters get destroyed when connected to too of voltage?

i have been dragging around small and large inverters since the 90s, i mean in life not on my ebike. battery state of charge on an ebike is precious to me and i have 3kwh of lipo. i am thinking of building a trailer to hold much more power and a stack of folding solar panels to help extend some day time riding.

to each their own i guess, i have done crazier things.

like another poster said, i would use boost or buck converters to get the voltage up or down to what ever device needs power, its likely dc already anyways.

cool find though

For small inverters to carry while out biking, I use a small coleman 150w I found at costco many years back, this takes a 12v input.

1. Meanwell makes a 200w inverter with varying input voltage, they have a 48v version also, that probably takes 60v max, I will check the datasheet and post the voltage ranges.

2. el cheapo brands, some with input voltages as high as 72v.

LewTwo said:
E-HP said:
Not that good ... those are Chinese AC plugs. The 600 watt one will not take a 3 prong (grounded) US plug. They may also be 50 Hz (as they fail to specify the frequency). FYI: The vendor marketing them is the same one I got Bafang mid drive from. No complaints there.

600W isn't much, but good for charging your laptop, etc. Looks like for that purpose, these socket adapters might work:
https://www.amazon.com/Australia-Zealand-Travel-Adapter-Protection/dp/B079RV53D8/ref=sr_1_7_sspa?crid=1Z0V4VNVUM5EK&keywords=chinese+plug+to+usa+adapter&qid=1664291781&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjAwIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=chinese+plug+to+usa+adapter%2Caps%2C144&sr=8-7-spons&psc=1&smid=ALEWIQ2F9CQDR&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE5WUVaQ0hWVzZHQiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRJZD1BMDUwMTg2NjFaQVNYQlo0UFI3WUomZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDE5MDE3OTFRSDU0MEpTTTdWTDAmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

any 48v class inverter will work. make sure not to exceed the current of your battery pack. for small load its better to connect to the 12v system of your bike, for big load youd want to shut off power to the ESC and power the inverter for stationary use.

Back