Trike conversion vs.new electric trike

narrastone

1 µW
Thank you for the add. Going to try and give as much info as possible yet to the point. I am a Santa that currently rides a schwinn meridian pedal trike. I pedal weekends Thanksgiving to Christmas. Flat roads. All weather. Mostly cold. Do about 25 miles a day. Really looking for some great opinions on converting the existing trike. Or buying new. I ride for about 4 hours at a time. Pedaling a fat half of that time. Lots of stop and starts for photos. Would like to convert the schwinn. But have read many of the threads. Would consider new. Just need to keep price in mind. Cold weather effect on battery time. Then long non use during the rest of the year. Thanks in advance. Seawall Santa. Ho ho ho

narrastone said:
Sorry. I tried. Not good at tech. Its a schwinn meridian trike
Here you go:
shopping

By far the easiest way to convert it is a front wheel kit that matches the current wheel/tire size that you have.

There are a couple of youtube videos that you might want to watch:
https://youtu.be/9Ou9L7owmB4
https://youtu.be/aj3abhgAi2Q

The thing that I would caution you about is the batteries especially with your long time storage. Lithium-Ion batteries need to be kept above a minimum charge level ... other wise they can become unusable (and that is likely half (or more) of the cost of the e-bike kit). Personally I prefer Lithium-Iron-Phosphate batteries (LiFePO4 or LFP). They are heavier for the same amount of power but they are also safer and more tolerant of abuse.

You might also find a direct drive hub (vs a geared hub) preferable. They are a simpler construction and thus more reliable (less things to go wrong, go wrong ...). The disadvantage is that they tend to be heavier and have some drag when riding without power.

Thank you. Answers my battery question. But in a lot of posts I have read they talk about issues with the tires and the rear axel as not bring a great fit for this type of upgrade. Thus the new purchase vs. A conversion. Thank you for your input. Greatly appreciated

narrastone said:
.... I have read they talk about issues with the tires and the rear axel as not bring a great fit for this type of upgrade. ...

I can not speak to that. I seem to have less tire and rim issues than some other folks but I am a skinny old fart as well as a fairly conservative street rider.

Well sure, if you run 20 mph like the guy in the youtube video, the Schwinn Meridian's tires will wear out if you're carrying any weight, and the band brake on the rear axle was never meant for those speeds.

If you use the motor for assist and just keep riding at the same or a little faster speed than when you were pedaling, everything should hold up.

I've only seen the fat tire trikes for sale, by the likes of Add-motor, and those cpost over $2000? Way too much for me. I can convert a Meridian for a lot less for myself. Someday I will,

A heavy battery would only keep you upright
Plus lifepo4 is great for long life and very safe if the cells are of quality like A123 20ah pouch cells 12s for 36v or for more speed 16s 48v is all you need. At 15mph and under. As speed killed many of 🎅's. Or be careful as ebikes wi that upright style is sketchy at best.
So how fast do you want to go and how many miles two questions.

He already told us.He's going to have xmas lights and likely be carrying a huge sack of candys. It's a Santa Bike and will be going slow/steady with lots of stops. Covers 25 miles.

HE does it now on a Schwinn, and he can do it with a front motor and a nice safe BTR LiFePO4 pack in the back

https://www.amazon.com/BtrPower-Battery-Lithium-Lifepo4-Electric/dp/B07P5CTC7K/ref=sr_1_13?crid=BVAN3W487MSG&keywords=BTR+Battery&qid=1665029367&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjg5IiwicXNhIjoiMS41OSIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=btr+battery%2Caps%2C180&sr=8-13&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3

Ho ho ho.

The roads are very flat. Its a very slow pace with lots of stops. There is not a lot of extra weight other than my fat ass. Thanks for all the input. Im leaning towards a new electric trike as the schwinn is 14 years old. I guess now my main concern is battery life in cold weather. Thank you all again for the info and help

Battery capacity is lower when it gets colder, but if you have a large enough battery, you have that covered, and can run in pretty cold weather, unless Santa is making a mid January call.

You cannot recharge the battery unless its internals are above 40F, so you will have to garage the bike at the end of a ride and wait for it to warm up.

You can also wrap the battery up in insulation (roll it up in a sleeping bag, etc) to keep it warmer for longer. If you keep it inside with you before a ride and wrap it up before you take it out (with an extension to the battery cable leading out of the wrap), it'll start out warmer and stay that way, possibly for quite a lot of the ride.

If cold becomes a real problem, you can use some of those chemical hand-warmer packs bundled up with it in the wrap.

Hello, I just bought my Mom a trike similar to yours, and put a treadmill motor on the back. The motor was free, and needs no controller, or throttle, only a momentary push switch. I mounted a pulley wheel to the inside of the back wheel, and used a belt, works quite well. With my 36v lithium pack I have achieved close to 20mph, which is simply as fast as you ever want to ride a trike. The front forks may be narrow, and weak, to support a 20" hub motor, FYI. Good luck, Mick

I will try to post a pic but havent before and anyway it was so simple really. I had to remove the basket, mount a few pieces of wood to get the treadmill motor rotor just above the rearwheel height. I mounted a Tractor Supply Co. pully to the inside of the rearwheel. This is GOLD, I cut the treadmill weighted belt pulley, so I could use only the reverse threaded belt piece, without the heavy part in the way. I think a reverse thread 14mm maybe the equivalent if you want to use something other than the stock pulley.. Now, the wood base should be slightly high, so that when a belt is wrapped around the pulleys it doesnt sit flat with any slack. Saw into the wood where the motor brackets stand until enough tension is released but it will be snug, it will hold itself with no more!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will need to pulse the intermittent ON button when accelerating with pedalling, until a faster speed . On flat ground, I have tested and was blown away, will try to send a pic!

Reading my own comment, clarify this- treadmill motor on wood base in basket area, wood base should be too high for motor to sit flat once a belt is applied. Saw the wood where the treadmill motor legs sit a little, so that tension released and it will be pinned down. The motor I have says 96V continuious duty, and at 36V at almost 20mph I dont believe a trike could be safely ridden over a few mph more.

How about a pic of motor end.
Howdy, I am having difficulty adding pics to the forum, if youd like I can send a pic to your phone. I want the forum to know a belt drive treadmill motor is a functional DIY alternative. Mick

My solution for Minnesnowta winter eTrike.Screen Shot 2023-02-22 at 12.19.23 PM.png

Back