Throttle and braking controlled through pedals

Has anyone locked a bike’s bottom bracket, maybe by filling it with epoxy, so the cranks are fixed horizontally, then add a strain gauge to both cranks to run them as throttle and brake?

This seems like it could give better control than the half-twist throttle I use.

Is this possible?

Hummina Shadeeba said:
Has anyone locked a bike’s bottom bracket, maybe by filling it with epoxy, so the cranks are fixed horizontally, then add a strain gauge to both cranks to run them as throttle and brake?

This seems like it could give better control than the half-twist throttle I use.

Is this possible?
So does this assume that the rider is always in a seated position and not standing on the cranks when encountering a bump/pot hole?

E-HP said:
Hummina Shadeeba said:

Is this possible?
So does this assume that the rider is always in a seated position and not standing on the cranks when encountering a bump/pot hole?
Just as can balance while standing on cranks that spin I imagine could keep the same control when they’re solidly fixed

Hummina Shadeeba said:
E-HP said:
Hummina Shadeeba said:

Is this possible?
Just as can balance while standing on cranks that spin I imagine could keep the same control when they’re solidly fixed

is an interesting idea. You'd maybe want a H like arrangement so you could swap which leg is front facing. And both feet forward is turbo!

Oddly when I think more about both feet forward or back at the same time - it feels like both feet forward would naturally feel like it should be emergency brake - but that would be problematic in practice! More thinking and I reckon it depends if you're seated or standing... :)

In a dual track vehicle like a quad bike could provide a good way to control the drivetrain in addition to steering. Almost like tank tracks - but would need to be tempered by traction control i would imagine!

you could then go further - instead of four pedals - front/back on both sides - you fill in the space between front-back pedals to make two small 'skis' then you can have much more intuitive pressure sensors to control the drivetrain! I think i need to stop thinking about this :lol:

thats a lot beyond what i was planning. i figured just two pedals where you feet constantly rested and force on each pedal countering the other pedal when no throttle or braking is needed.

just two stress sensors that can result in one input to the esc?

Hummina Shadeeba said:
thats a lot beyond what i was planning. i figured just two pedals where you feet constantly rested and force on each pedal countering the other pedal when no throttle or braking is needed.

just two stress sensors that can result in one input to the esc?

yea i think i was getting carried away and potentially infringing on segway's patents! :)

I still think in the basic form you need the H arrangement otherwise you'd need two variants for left or right-legged people?

i assume you mean a front/back pedal arrangement?

Yes the H arrangement with 4 crank arms n pedals maybe for comfort

I think it may be very easy to put stress sensor wires on things. I remember seeing it on grin’s site but no longer.

Hummina Shadeeba said:
Yes the H arrangement with 4 crank arms n pedals maybe for comfort

I think it may be very easy to put stress sensor wires on things. I remember seeing it on grin’s site but no longer.

Any torque sensing BB would be able to do this I would think - I'm not familiar with any except the tsdz2 - but that doesn't need the crank to be spinning to read the pedal pressure.

Back