How does a motor change a bike's feel?

I've been looking at reviews for gravel bikes and am thinking I'd rather have a more upright position to be more comfortable since I suspect I won't care as much about wind resistance. Although can this be done while having good handling? I'm also wondering if having a motor makes the bike more bumpy at high speeds and if I need suspension because of this (for off-road).

Do you adjust bikes in your mind when looking at reviews? Thanks!

Can you get away with adding more weight and still be fast?

That is a complex question to answer with lots of room for opinions.

In my opinion once you get to 750-1000watts you pretty much have enough power to overcome wind resistance so you don't really need to care about sporty optimal pedaling position or drop bars with a tuck position. Even a few hundred watts makes a huge difference in the amount of effort needed from the rider.

A mid drive pedal assist system with a light battery has the least amount of impact on the feel of the bike. A hub motor will have the largest effect on the handling of the bike.

Suspension is not necessary at lower speeds but the extra weight of a hub motor feels very clumsy on a hard tail when you hit harsh bumps. If you are trying to go 30-40mph I would recommend suspension.

I couldn't have said it better than above. A light mid-drive is the best option for your needs IMO. There are many good OEM systems, but you can DIY with several mids and a light battery.

Go find a ebikes store and I would try 6 or more bikes. They find a second store and try some more before you buy. Just like Italian shoes even though they look good you can't get your foot in them anyway try a bunch of different bikes out mid drives, geared Rear motors a D.D. motor. Don't believe the range they give you as this is what we found to be the first fib.

TranslucentGold said:
I've been looking at reviews for gravel bikes and am thinking I'd rather have a more upright position to be more comfortable since I suspect I won't care as much about wind resistance. Although can this be done while having good handling? I'm also wondering if having a motor makes the bike more bumpy at high speeds and if I need suspension because of this (for off-road).

I can tell you how most riders feel when they ride an ebike for the first time. They say things like, my legs feel like I'm 20, or I feel like a have superman legs, or I could never get up that hill before, and now I can, or I need to get one of these, and stuff like that.

You don't provide enough information to tell you how the bike feels, but the components add weight, so if you were building a rear hub motor, you'll be adding a noticeable amount of weight out back, and down low. Front hub, same but up front. If it's a mid drive, that weight will be low and centered. The batteries can weigh as much as the motor, or more, depending on you needs. If it's mounted in the triangle, it will be more neutral for handling. If it's mounted on a rack in the back, you'll need to get used to that much weight out back and high on the bike.

You can simulate the various positions if you get some get some exercise weights, and strap them to your rack, for instance, to feel how the weight affects handling.

No, know about what to expect, ride ebikes for a while and you will get it.

Ebikes have groups that don't like them. i'm mostly house bound, my body is getting back at me for all the years of abuse.
Had been looking for a way to exercise and got into ebikes, can not use a lot of force on the pedals so could not go past any hills had to stay close to home. An ebike sets me free to go anywhere and get as much exercise as needed. You can adjust your power to just what you need. If you exhaust yourself it will take you home.

When I was selling e-bikes 10 years ago people would get on the bike get halfway down the parking lot turn their head around to look at their friend they came with and not look where they're going and then when they get off the bike they'd have such a big grin.
It got to the point where I wanted to be rude and tell the people if they get on the bike it's going to be a new experience remember to look for where you're going and focus on the brakes and how everything works don't we are watching you so you don't have to look back and watch us watch you look forward
Of course I never came to that
Now we have 13 and 15 year olds riding sarans popping a wheelie as they pass you on the bike path they turn around look backwards and give a goofy smile as they're doing the wheelie turning around backwards with their head
Yes they're having fun and it's a whole lot of fun be careful.

999zip999 said:
When I was selling e-bikes 10 years ago people would get on the bike get halfway down the parking lot turn their head around to look at their friend they came with and not look where they're going and then when they get off the bike they'd have such a big grin.
It got to the point where I wanted to be rude and tell the people if they get on the bike it's going to be a new experience remember to look for where you're going and focus on the brakes and how everything works don't we are watching you so you don't have to look back and watch us watch you look forward
Of course I never came to that
Now we have 13 and 15 year olds riding sarans popping a wheelie as they pass you on the bike path they turn around look backwards and give a goofy smile as they're doing the wheelie turning around backwards with their head
Yes they're having fun and it's a whole lot of fun be careful.

That's hilarious.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I should try some bikes before getting my own one.

After riding a mountain bike, I really want to ride something as close to a road bike as possible while still being able to go on all terrain. I'm looking at this bike. Maybe this will fit a Photon or something similar with torque sensing.
https://www.3t.bike/en/217-exploro-primo

Good suspension is nice. Remember 99% of the people start with low power because that's all they plan on using. Right after they are thru setting the bike up and ride it for a week or two they come back and want more power. Try to get people to build a bit more don't need to use it. You can ride with your motor off or just a few watts to turn the motor. Have road many a mile at 75w.

TranslucentGold said:
That's hilarious.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I should try some bikes before getting my own one.

After riding a mountain bike, I really want to ride something as close to a road bike as possible while still being able to go on all terrain. I'm looking at this bike. Maybe this will fit a Photon or something similar with torque sensing.
https://www.3t.bike/en/217-exploro-primo

If you go with that bike, then your choice is limited to one hub motor

https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/all-axle-hub-motor.html

If you go with a mid drive, one of the CYC motors may be compatible.

EDIT: Saw this additional thru axle option on another thread and it works on the rear.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=118948#p1747567

That gravel bike is not good for a conversion
I would look at the new complete middrive bikes to start or some bikes stores have bafang kits of 750 Watts or 1,000 Watts to try
Where do you live Las Vegas has a ebikes festival show swap meet all the new items a lot of experimentals.
Lake Elsinore in California also has a couple meets with mid drive bikes they run on certain course.
Best to try a few bikes on a few different terrain mainly find the gnarliest heel around and go straight up it. Going downhill should never be a problem unless you get scared.
I bought the newest greatest cuc 3,000 watt kit 1 1/2 ago for 1,100 USD plus had made a 72v 24ah 1,000 battery. The cyc back 855 BT controller. The controller made in canada and program and sold from Taiwan or CYC. It has never worked
I have to make a different battery and try again. It wasn't as simple as on paper.
So of these ebikes kits you need some programming skills even some of the chargers, even some of the displays are you computer savvy. Maybe I just have a simple mind. It's early in the season so you have time to check things out before you drop the money

TranslucentGold said:

You'll want to sit up straighter. You'll want it to be easier to get your feet down. You won't have to push harder than you want to. Something like Electra Townie, Trek Pure, KHS Smoothie, or Specialized Roll would be much better optimized for a human/electric hybrid vehicle.

Accept that the things that make a "gravel bike" the way it is, don't apply to an e-bike. You can make an electric gravel bike, but it won't fulfill its potential if it's modeled after pedal power only versions of itself. That also goes for major brand, ready to roll e-bikes that are cashing in on non-e-bike trends.

An e-bike is not a pedal bicycle, and it's not a sit down scooter either. It's something in between, and when it's at its best it looks like something in between.

image.jpg

I think that the first question should be what do you want to use the bike for.
Do you just want something to ride around or are you looking for something more utilitarian?

If the latter then next question is how are you going to transport your cargo (backpack, rear rack, front basket, panniers, trailer)?
Do you just want to run down to the local convenience store for a bottle of soda or a six-pack?
Or do you want to be able to tote a week's worth of groceries home?
My solution was a 2 wheel Travoy trailer that can be quickly connected to the bike or removed.
That was the best investment I have ever made.

Chalo said:
TranslucentGold said:

You'll want to sit up straighter. You'll want it to be easier to get your feet down. You won't have to push harder than you want to. Something like Electra Townie, Trek Pure, KHS Smoothie, or Specialized Roll would be much better optimized for a human/electric hybrid vehicle.

Accept that the things that make a "gravel bike" the way it is, don't apply to an e-bike. You can make an electric gravel bike, but it won't fulfill its potential if it's modeled after pedal power only versions of itself. That also goes for major brand, ready to roll e-bikes that are cashing in on non-e-bike trends.

An e-bike is not a pedal bicycle, and it's not a sit down scooter either. It's something in between, and when it's at its best it looks like something in between.

image.jpg
Severe back and leg problems make any other frame impossible. I can sit up straight and ride for 10-15 miles pain free on my KHS and Trek flat foot frames. I have no downside with these Townie clone frames. The bike trails and country roads here are gravel. Crank forward frames allow me to use my boots as outriggers. Perfect in snow too. I have mid, rear, and front versions. I actually like the front drive MAC best for snow and gravel. Spin out is possible when using the throttle but one can quickly learn to feather it effectively.
As a MAC 2wd it was a damn billy goat. Fun for a week but guaranteed to bust me up from taking on ridiculous terrain. Were i a youngster it’s be my go to build. Was a KHS Smoothie large frame. Odd to me but the Trek Pure frame has always been the most comfortable of the three. KHS, Townie, and Pure. My Townie frame is from their first 3 years and a real tank of a build. Far more reinforced and incredibly nice welds.

Oh, and the longer wheel base and geometry mitigates any balance issue with a rack battery. IMO

TranslucentGold put your phone down and go ride six electric bikes all different mid-drives front wheel drive rear wheel drive two-wheel drive. And get back to us and tell us your experience and which one you like and why.
This would be good before you buy just don't buy some at 2:00 in the morning on AliExpress ect.

Back