What to do with old battery?

I'm looking to upgrade my bike with a larger battery, but unsure how to dispose of the old one. The old battery is perfectly functional, just degraded a bit from 14 ah to maybe 10 ah. Considered building a second bike with it but just don't have the time, energy, and tools right now.

You might check with your local garbage collection agency. Here, I can take an old battery to their hazardous waste disposal place and they will take it.

If it's still good, you could get an inverter for that voltage and use it for an emergency power supply.

I use a 52v battery on a 48v inverter with good results. A 48v lead acid pack can be as high as 60v at full charge, so a 48v inverter works fine.

I put solar panels on my workshop roof and use them to charge my old ebike batteries. I have an inverter plugged into them and I often use them to charge my ebikes or even power powertools or a space heater from them. I deal with high output packs (often 20s capable of 150A+ continuous) so I can power virtually anything I want from them especially when I have 4 or 5 of them in parallel, I'm only limited by what my inverter can output. Once they lose 80% of their original capacity or cells go bad, I just take them to my local waste disposal who deal with EV batteries then I end up with more batteries after upgrading or from an old project and the cycle continues.

You could make a good power bank with the good enough cells, though I don't how you could make the case for it, I have 3d printer so I would use that. You could use some online print service, but I don't really know if the cost would make this worth it, if not for the experience of building it.

Twice a year we have bulk item pickup and twice a year we have electronic pickup for computers batteries TVs you might get lucky as I'm having a bulk pickup this Saturday at the local high school.

fechter said:
I use a 52v battery on a 48v inverter with good results. A 48v lead acid pack can be as high as 60v at full charge, so a 48v inverter works fine.

This is great info! Wondering how I missed that when searching for inverters for my old 52V pack. I think I could run my refrigerator on one when we have power outages, which would be a lot less hassle than firing up my generator.

Back