What's Causing Excessive Current Draw?

Eric

10 mW
I'm having intermittent problems with my system.

Symptom 1: CycleAnalyst indicates high current (2-10A) when the controller is first turned on and the bike is stationary. Normal is <1A.
Resetting the controller using its power switch drops the indicated current by about half upon each toggle of the switch.
After riding for less than a minute, the indicated current returns to normal.

Symptom 2: While riding, CA reads >36Amps current draw and the motor cuts out.
Resetting the controller brings the current draw back down to single digits when stopped.

Aside from these two occasional issues, it's working well.

System:
A123 16S5P w/nominal 40-75A BMS
Crystalyte V2 48A digital controller
Cycle Analyst set to 30A max current draw
5304 motor

Has anyone else seen similar symptoms? What did you do to fix the issue?

I have yet to do any real troubleshooting on this, but am at a bit of a loss where to start. Throttle, controller, Hall sensor?
Any suggestions (helpful or entertaining) would be appreciated.

Eric S.

A bit of water in your throttle by chance?

Could well be a problem with the cycleanalyst rather than the drive.

Double check it with a clamp meter.

If it's real, you should notice that much power going somewhere - as heat!

Thank you, all, for your input.
LFP, I wondered about the throttle, especially since I park my bike outside, uncovered during the day while I'm at work. This has been a very wet Spring. It would explain the 36A/motor shut off symptom, but not really Symptom 1 where cycling the controller switch reduces the standby current. I have tried "blipping" the throttle when Symptom 1 happens and the motor spins/current increases but it still returns to the increased idling level (2-10A).

Dnmun, the inrush current would be transient; these two conditions last for very many seconds almost a minute if I do nothing. I've not let the 36A go for more than a few seconds (yet).

EVan, I'm always leaving for work late or just wanting to get home from work (20 miles away) so haven't let the high current go for long enough to generate significant heat. If this happens when I'm not in a rush, I might just do that, but I really don't want to burn something up unnecessarily. Maybe it's time for some spares?

Thanks again for your help.

Eric S.

had a problem such as yours with same motor, turned out to be water in the hub motor, popped motor case open and drained, let sit overnight and has been running perfect ever since. that was a yr ago. May not be ur problem but an idea anyhow.

Back