Shimano Total Electric Power System (STEPS)

Lock

100 MW
DÜSSELDORF, Germany – Shimano launched this week in Germany its brand new components range for electric bikes. The company enters the e-Bike market with a system called STEPS. The acronym stands for Shimano Total Electric Power System.

The Shimano parts for e-Bikes show some interesting features. In particular, the torque sensor used stands out, while the same goes for the regenerative power capabilities, easy to use handling, and battery characteristics. But, what sets STEPS apart from many other electric bike systems is a basic principle in its development. According to Shimano, that principle is that first and foremost, an e-Bike has to be a bicycle.

For the introduction of STEPS Shimano set up camp in Düsseldorf Germany in mid-June. During the introduction week the major European OEMs were invited to get acquainted with Shimano’s new e-Bike components. About 250 bike manufacturers and/or suppliers were oriented to the new products, learning about all aspects of the system.

STEPS includes of a front wheel mounted 250 W brushless and geared hub motor, a bottom bracket integrated torque sensor, a crankset with rotation sensor, a rear carrier integrated battery with tail light, and system management unit, an integrated, electronic shifting 8-speed gear hub, headlight, cycle computer/display, and brake levers with buttons to control the system, as well as the power regenerative capabilities of the STEPS system.

What is in particular interesting about Shimano STEPS is the fact it is a fully integrated system. Some examples: the Nexus 8-speed gear hub is coupled with the torque sensor. With that it gets SEIS, which stands for Shimano Electronic Intelligent System for electronic shifting, specially developed for e-bikes. It is operated through buttons controlling a motor unit attached to the gear hub, allowing for fast and smooth shifting.

The front wheel-mounted hub motor is also a generator powering the head light, offers additional braking capability on downhills, and has the so-called E-Gain system for energy saving. These power regenerative capabilities are controlled through the brake levers. They are equipped with sensors that stop the assist power, get into the energy regenerative mode, and control the additional brake capability of the hub motor.

Another interesting feature is the 2.7 kg battery. It is a 24 V, 4Ah Li-Ion unit with integrated taillight and a control unit for the complete system. The removable battery allows for over 3,000 charging cycles. Charging time is only one hour. A full battery brings a range of 40 kms in regular mode and 60 kms in the ECO mode. More on Shimano’s new e-Bike components range is in Bike Europe’s

Published @ 18-06-2010

Original URL:
http://www.bike-eu.com/news/4169/shimano-launches-components-range-for-electric-bikes.html

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/shimano-unveil-new-steps-electric-bike-components-26649
1276861814769-1fi6kxcz9vbzn-280-75.jpg

1276861700617-esb5iskk0nc5-500-90-500-70.jpg

1276861700623-6w9vzc7eusy9-500-90-500-70.jpg

1276861725704-1v5th5as8pqjo-798-75.jpg

Wow! 24v 4Ah pack! You stack 10-20 of those packs together, and you've got yourself a useful ebike. ;)

Hehe... yah. From the first link, Shimano has some funny ideas about ebikes:
According to Shimano, that principle is that first and foremost, an e-Bike has to be a bicycle.

Heck if getting a shimano equipped ebike from a name brand bike gets a few more folks out there go shimano! Maybe it'll make a nice reliable gateway drug instead of a supreme dissapointment and toss away like a lot of cheap kits or import bikes.

I dream of crazy things like taking a bike equipped with this on a nice 200k and comparing times and feel to not having it. Use the help for longs hills let it recharge on the flats or downhill and maybe at the gas station I'm stopped at to refill my water at. Seems it would make a nice hybrid powered bike.

Shimano is everywhere so I might actually see this on a shelf at the local bike shop...sweet! None of the shops near me have any ebike experience/parts so something like this could help a lot...

..that said, I think they need to come out w/ a 750w version ASAP. later :)

I feel it can be better. But it is a start. Shimano has deep pockets and if this is not widely accepted they will not be defeated on one try. They do know bikes and have produced some quality parts. My hopes are that they continue on R & D and find the sweet spot. The possibility is there for them to break through with improved ideas. Not yet but don't count them out.

ebent

Nice component set, I was surprised they went with a front hub until I saw how they integrated safety measures into the hub housing. I hope the pricing is reasonable. Sounds like a great hybrid system, if well integrated it would be like riding a normal bike but with Lance Armstrong legs. The bike would also look very much like a normal bike as well. I don’t think the hub motor would work too well with a front mountain bike suspension or else I would contemplate on getting one of these for the trails. Having a torque sensor and electronic shifting would be sweet.

Seems like it is an ultra efficient, low power assist design, meant only to help urban cyclists who travel at no more than 20mph, and most of the time at 10-15mph. Otherwise, that 96watt hours ain't going to assist much for 40 or 60(!)kms.

Still a great way to improve the attractiveness of cycling as transport. Maybe an 8ah battery would be better.

Ok where are the guys and gals down under at. I would like to request some of the Aussies that have have the cap on wattages to test unit, only catch is that I heard you could buy components separately. If that is true start with real battery and get the hub motor going and give us a review. Shimano to me is definitely the big boys on the block. Nice to see that they want some of the action, pretty obvious if they are developing there is more interest than any of us can imagine. Hopefully, we can get review on here to see what we think.

It seems like the ebike scene is lacking some really slick, lightweight human-hybrid electrics. Most of our bikes are half-motorcycle half bicycle. This leans much closer to bicycle and I'm cool with it. I'd definitely like to give this a try.

If they made a more powerful version of this, i'd pick it over the lightweight/low power build i'm doing anyday.. I like the sleeper effect, the integration, and the no hassle of the whole system.

But it will probably be cost-prohibitive. So i'll take my $700 10ah 37v build instead :)

why are you so excited about having a torque sensor ??
I have one and disconnected it as soon as i tried.... its a PITA !
you get intermittent power assist, not the smoooth assist you might like.
And who really needs "electric" shifting ?
If they really meant to produce a useful machine, they could have included a decent battery !
...( I suspect that will be a $1000 option ) :roll:

personally , i suspect this whole system is just the big "S " cashing in on a new market segment.

es2150 said:
Ok where are the guys and gals down under at. I would like to request some of the Aussies that have have the cap on wattages to test unit, only catch is that I heard you could buy components separately. If that is true start with real battery and get the hub motor going and give us a review. Shimano to me is definitely the big boys on the block. Nice to see that they want some of the action, pretty obvious if they are developing there is more interest than any of us can imagine. Hopefully, we can get review on here to see what we think.

That thar, I'm afraid, is an illegal outlaw overpowered hoon-juice piece of prohibited technology down here :roll:

Limit is 200W. Peak. We won't be seeing those in bike shops down here unless they change the power output of the unit or the laws of the land - and the proposal on the table for the latter is less than appetising, requiring the motor to cut out at 25 kph (that's 15 mph to all ye metric-challenged folks) and requiring pedelec (any other form of throttle disallowed)... if that's what it takes to get the limit raised to 250W, no thanks.

Hillhater said:
why are you so excited about having a torque sensor ??
I have one and disconnected it as soon as i tried.... its a PITA !
you get intermittent power assist, not the smoooth assist you might like.
Sounds like you might have had a POS torque sensor, and are condemning all torque senors from that bad experience. Maybe you should try using a good torque sensor? I have both a torque sensor and a great throttle, can use either alone or both together, and rarely use the throttle. The pedal sense is awesome, and works exactly as I like.

-- Alan

Pointless underpowered crap.

2000w is worthwhile. At 200/250w you are better off getting a roadbike.

Ok, I guess it will work as a mobility aid - like one of those grandpa scooters you get when you can't walk.

Well, I think I could go as fast/far on a lightweight roadbike, as on a electric bike with 200/250w.

It kinda becomes pointless.

Back