store bought or home made?

ron bruce

1 mW
My name is Ron and I live in the Okanagan Valley of British Columbia, Canada. I've really enjoyed searching through the archives and beginning to learn so many things. I use my bicycle for groceries and shorter commutes but am thinking I'd like to also get an ebike for longer commutes or when I have to do a bit more riding that same day. I don't think I'll use the ebike when I'm on the bike trails with my friends.

I'm wondering about a store bought ebike for now. I live in Penticton and aside from Motorino ebikes (the scooter type not the bicycle) I don't see much here. I may have to make the commute to Vancouver (in my car :lol: ) to find something. I did find a website that sells Cabbike1, which looks to be pretty much the ebikes on websites I see all over but for a lot cheaper. :shock: Cheap is not always good and I realize that and wonder if this may not be the best move for me except that I see no other dealers close to my city. Hmmm.

I do realize one of the bike shops in town deals with a conversion kit but still wonder if I should just try something a bit ready made for now.

Any thoughts or posts you can refer me to? I did find something on here the other day that was quite good but can't find it now.

Thanks in advance. :)

DIY! Seriously you will enjoy it more, have better performance (most likely) and spend less (or the same but for more bang and range).

-Mike

I second that; i'm going to be in for a total of $800 ( $100 for a used bike, $700 for parts ) for a bike with power output similar to a store bought ~$2000 ebike.. On pure price alone, there is no competition. If you are a geeky guy you also end up with a better product since these ebikes are still 'developing' ( in terms of reliability ) and if you build it yourself, you have a far better understanding of how it works rather than being totally in the dark when something breaks..

I have researched all of this for a very long time and came to the conclusion that DIY is better.. ridden expensive commercial kits ( bionx ), expensive lithium bikes ( sanyo, a2b, etc ), and while conversions are nowhere near as polished ( regen, fancy displays, ebraking ), they are functionally the same and sometimes even better.

But do your research and decide for yourself!

Ask motorino for one of their severely damaged in shipping bikes at a MONSTER discount. Strip it of the motor, controller etc.. sell the SLA pack and then mount the rest all on a frame of your choice.

The map says you are only about 5 hours from Vancouver, home of one of the finest ebike kit dealers in the world.
http://ebikes.ca/contacts.shtml

One of the best turnkey ebike dealers in the US is in SEattle.
http://www.electricvehiclesnw.com/index.htm

I would look at their products, do some emails and phone calls, and then have me a road trip.
Take money.

I have turnkey and I have kits. I have built ebikes for people.

My most reliable ebike is a Giant turnkey, no problems except flats for 5 years.

My best performing ebike is a cyclone kit, no turnkey can touch it (for the price) for power, range etc. But you have to work on it some.

My wife only rides Bionx, and disregards the price...happy for years and years. And they are (French) Canadian made.

I have seen people with no business owning a bicycle much less an ebike, that did not know to put air in the tires.
But if you are an accomplished cyclist, you probably can maintian a goood ebike kit from a quality dealer.

Some ebikes are like Yugos, some are like Fords. But no Honda's yet.

Best.

deardancer3 said:
Some ebikes are like Yugos, some are like Fords. But no Honda's yet.
Now that is a quotable quote, Dick!
otherDoc

Funny you should mention Motorino, of all the scooters I've ever seen, their BTR is about the only scooter-style ebike I would consent to ride. I really think it looks like a pretty good deal. ABS, good suspension, some attention to torque and motor concerns, way more tech than most of them have going for them.

If you are even the least handy, a bike setup with hub motor in the front wheel is pretty easy to set up. Making it pretty, well, that's up the skill level. Just making the darn thing go, that's easy.

Speaking of which, I should be working on my battery box instead of surfing ES. Sigh.

Katou

i agree with making your own ,but i found a new product,that i have nothing to do with and looks pretty good to me.
http://www.voltagebikes.ca/
there drivin all over on them even mountain passes.

Looks well made, nothing too special there, but looks like good integration. Next question is price and direct drive/geared? I could not find this information on the main page.

If I was going turn-key, I'd want a dealer in this country, local to me to provide service. If these guys can provide that, check it out maybe.

Katou

Thanks so much for all the ideas and advice. I'd still feel safer about turnkey because if I had any problems... course if I had problems with a hub I'd be in a bit of trouble too.

Yes, the Wispers do look pretty nice. But then I like some of the electric Giants too and the eZee's.
I guess no one has heard of Cabbike1, huh? :lol: (And maybe it's plain image would be better for security.)

I'm still wondering about a Motorino LTc (sounds like it has good torque for a turnkey bike) though a month ago I was looking at Motorino XPr and XPv models.

I think I'd do better with a more bicycle-like ebike here in little Penticton though I see more and more scooter type electric bikes around (one Motorino LTc too but I wasn't able to ask the fellow where he bought it).

I'll try to get out to JV Bike in Vancouver next month to check a few of these bikes out. I've never actually ridden an ebike so maybe that would be a good first step. :)
Or I may give ebikes.ca an email as I really am not too sure what I need in a kit and if they come with everything or I have to pick out things and then do more research on here to see how one would actually take a rear wheel off a bike (the front wheel I think I have down pat).

Since you live that close, perhaps ebikes-ca could install one for you? I don't know if they do that or not.

Best ebike vendor in the world though, you really must drop by thier shop before making any decisions!

Pretty sure they don't install. I think I read that on their website somewhere.
I'm going through ebikes.ca and trying to put a system together that looks good.

It looks like my farthest commute is usually only 4 km/2.5 miles away from home. :shock:
Aside from the sweat aspect (and sore knees if I go too fast) maybe I don't need a motor after all.

However, I do want to get into an electric vehicle and now that I've convinced myself to cut down on car trips a bicycle electric or not is my best bet I believe. Most of my traveling is on flat ground but there are hills here too that I have to go on but they are not that steep (well some are not too fun).

Back to the research. I'm thinking direct drive (DD) would be nice (quieter) as I don't want my bike to stand out too much but I'm still trying to understand the freewheel thing.
So I can't coast with DD or is it just that the motor will drag a bit?

Maybe pedal assist would be better to force myself to always pedal but it would be nice to have the option as well.

I still can't believe my farthest away is only 4 km but that's a normal week as I do voyage further at times. Of course I'll probably have to start my car in winter again though I am wondering about Ice biking.

beast775 said:
i agree with making your own ,but i found a new product,that i have nothing to do with and looks pretty good to me.

There's an Ontario outfit selling those Wispers as "their design". I wrote this recently:
Interesting Fred... Haven't heard of these folks before... Smooth talkin' of them to gets their product into Sears and Home Hardware eh?

I get a kick out of it when these suppliers say stuff like:
The 905 Airstream Cruiser is specifically designed by the Airstreamgroup...

...when in fact it's just a flavour of Wisper 905.... does this look similar?:
http://wisperbike.en.made-in-china.com/product/gqfJCVdTYthP/China-Wisper-905se-Sport-36v-14a-Lithium-Electric-Bicycle.html

and here:
http://wisperbike.en.makepolo.com/product.html

So it doesn't leave me with a good feeling when these folks make these claims about "specially designed blah blah blah..."

This looks like the Canadian importer:

I expect the bikes in Canadian stores are only 10Ah packs (while today Wisper is offering higher Ah) `cause the Canadian bikes were bought last year and lithium chemistry (energy density) has improved over this time...

Wisper claims to generate over $250 million in annual sales, and claim their products are "... the best mid range to luxury electric bikes in the world." Looks like their bikes are designed for the EU market (250W power limit) where there is a lot of competition from high quality bike manufacturers, so I suspect they do make a higher quality bike than many other China manufacturers.

Didn't win, but Wisper ebikes competed in the 2007 Bike World Cup in Stuttgart when pedelecs were allowed for the first time:
http://extraenergy.org/main.php?language=en&category=&subcateg=&id=1724

Lock

tks
loCk

thanks lock for the links :D .
i hate sayin anything but i saw a group going around opening retail stores and quite a few of them close to the O P.so if there was any problems said OP could get help.i know the last time i saw a2b in a retail store here in vic,the retail was 3400.so that would be my first choice in lbs purchase but the price seems well :shock: .

when will there be a E-S group ebike? ha then i might purchase. :p i mean methods could do beta bashing.ha i can just imagine the whole scenario,ok back to the OP.

One nice thing about home made is ya repatriate some of the labour back to North America :lol:

China-made stuff is so cheap `cause they don't have to invest in silly stuff like welding googles:
WeldingMask.jpg

loC

I went on Golden Motors.ca and did the build my own kit and it came out to $1095 (USD like the other stuff on the site?) and that's without a bike but they also sell their ebikes too.

If I get the eJoy (much less appealing for anyone to steal) it comes out to $1290 USD (free shipping right now too). Their motors and batteries look fairly strong but I really don't know much about them except what I've read here. I assume they could be modified if needed.

I do want quality so would eZee ($1700) be better in the long run or 9C ($1400) or GM (1095)? I tried to pick out the same options on all three types as I still really don't know what I do or don't need/want.

As I learn more I'm sure I'd find out many of these things I may not need or they are overkill or whatever. Hmmm. :?:

Lots to consider. Thanks.

EDIT I'll have to run this build thing again as 'the best kit on GM' only comes out to $788 so I must be doing something wrong or too much... later. :)

I was just thinking a thou for GM kit sounded steep. The 9c motors are my personal favorite, after trying a fair number of others.

I'm afraid I have to agree with dogman (again). The 9C motor is quiet and powerful and can be inexpensive. It is heavy but so are all non-geared hub motors. I run 54 volts and it produces all the power a 220 lb guy could want. I use Fatpacks but LiPo is lighter and cheaper and more powerful depending on the setup!
otherDoc

9C, huh? Well non-geared does appeal.

Could someone explain freewheel again? Not sure why I find it so confusing but...

...a direct drive like 9C will freewheel/coast but there is a bit of drag but not too much?
And I would have to remember to select the freewheel option on ebike, right?

Right, I'm off to look through the archives again. :)

If its any consolation, I have the DD 9c and don't notice any drag at all while coasting. Seems to carry me just as far as my non-motorized bike.

Last summer I purchased a diy kit, over a thousand bucks and unfortunately it had some issues. Spent more time fixing shoddy connections then biking!! This summer I bought a R Martin bike. Good torque, decent range and well made bike. Nice to just turn a key and go. The cost of the bike is about the same price for a DIY kit but minus the headaches.
Yes, store bought bikes are "street legal" so power and speed is limited to 20mph and 750 watts but fine with me. I bought my R Martin 12A seven weeks ago and already logged in over 450 miles. Very happy with my selection. Oh, and free shipping and no sales tax.
http://www.electricbikedistributor.com/r12a-electric_bicycle.html

Attachments

• White Lightning 001 (320x240).jpg
    White Lightning 001 (320x240).jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,061
I know it has already been said, but you can make alot more bike by assembling it yourself. If you don't have the time or are all thumbs, O.K. But usually when you buy a pre-made e-bike, you will be upgrading usually in your near future.P1010123.jpg This was my first e-bike. I bought it used less than a year old because the guy was upgrading. I really enjoy it for what it is but I also upgraded in less than a year! My daughter enjoys riding this with me. I let her sit in front on this double seat. The bike only goes about 15 mph.

Is that really an ebike? Looks more like a scooter? Street legal? You know 'less than 750 wats of power and no more than 20 mph'?

Do you see the pedals? And it doesn't go over 15 mph as stated above? It happens to be a 36 volt that would be even faster if converted to 48 volt. It works really well for leisure riding but I like to go fast to get where I am going quicker. I also wanted a bike that was easily transportable using different transportation in conjunction with my bike. That process lead to this...P1010121.jpg This goes 37 mph + and is a folder that will fit in the hatch of my Geo Metro without folding the rear seat down! The next build after that was for my woman.P1010124.jpg And finally, the current monster that I am in the process if building...P1010122.jpg Whoops wrong picture. Here it is!P1010112 (600 x 450).jpg Keep in mind though to give yourself plenty of time when you decide to assemble one from components. Enjoy the project, take your time, look up any infor you need, and have patience. Cheers! :D

Evo,

Can you bring all 3 bikes to the next Eagles game tailgate party - that last one (with the A123 packs) looks like it's carrying many 6 packs of beer cans or maybe nitrous tanks ?

Seriously - you would need 3 drivers/riders but that's a tailgate party on wheels ebike style, have any plans for a roasting spit?

Jokes aside - I think we may be overloading the poster.

If you can turn a wrench, read instructions and ask for help when your over your head (that last one is obvious) you have the skills to build an ebike from scratch (so to speak) or more apt from kit.

Having ridden nearly every available ebike conversion kit from 9C to Bafang to all the little variations the assorted vendors claim make their systems "better" and imho your best first choice is a 9C direct drive.

If you want super simple install - go with a front wheel, make sure the bike you choose has a steel fork (or do some real reading about using proper washers and such with alloy forks) - I've got 15k on a tora RS suspension fork on my 9C powered Hard rock pro and over 1.5 years of use without a bit of trouble on the kit.

The front kits are a tad easier to setup/install and if your good with zip ties, you could be running in about 15 minutes (yes I'm serious) though a really clean install of even a conversion kit, well I can spend hours but then I go a bit overboard with wire routing and conduits or hiding throttle wires by snaking into a second rear shifter cable housing - not needed for a commuter or clean install... Look above for examples :)

I think you could get a whole 36v 9C kit with a 10AH battery for =< 1000 USD incl. s&h and torque arm. The bike I leave to your discression but as you have seen... almost anything could work and your not trying to be a speed demon, yet.

Good news is, you can always go higher voltage for more speed... enable regen braking to reduce mechanical brake wear and recoup (if you live in a hilly area) some of the energy spent from the battery and the 9C have been proven to handle 72-100v and 15-60A :) My own 100% stock setup was a non modified 9FET infineon (intended for 36v) running 15S lipo for 55v nominal and at 32A - this gave me average input power of about 1800w and a top speed of 32mph - 37mph depending on conditions without pedaling :)

Hope this helps!

-Mike

Back