russian recumbent ebiker - FASr7

cool,
he certainly deserves his own thread.. :D

that above was shot by some random passerby..

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=16535

http://www.youtube.com/user/FASr7

http://electrotransport.ru/ussr/index.php/topic,2793.54.html

amazing lane splitting skill ..

[youtube]wxrrqTjdpX0[/youtube]

OMG that man is going to die any day soon. The compounded risk of doing that everyday is a recipe for him becoming the jaffle filling between two cars. If that's daily Moscow peak hour traffic then Fuk living in that city.

Not bad, but real men ride like that in traffic on 2 lane roads with the cars moving instead of stopped on a 6 lane street. In a nutshell that video demonstrates why I ebike, so traffic becomes a non-issue. He goes into some tight squeezes for sure, but the part that makes it unsafe to me is being so low. He's unlikely to see a car, pedestrian or bike crossing between the stopped cars. I really need to get a few of those spycams and do some videos for you guys. :twisted: Definitely a case of do as I say, not as I do. Just because I'm quite comfortable despite motorcyclists getting whacked on a daily basis here riding in the same spaces. They just fail to see left crosses, right crosses, and crossing traffic before they occur. :?
John

It look low, and I tend to think like you but his eye level is not any lower than a subcompact car.
It is just that we are used to be able to see over most car with a regular bike.
A guy like this can look trough cars windows, look for moving shadow below cars and trucks, use building windows for mirror etc.
This morning I drove my corolla behind a full size pickup saw the traffic slowing before him. He did a panick stop while I had plenty of time to slow down...

We should all do this no matter what we are driving.

That said I think that he takes too much risk.

Quite a bit too fast for my tastes, but that's certainly some high risk threading the needle. I wish I could buy insurance on the guy. That traffic sure sucks, and as I understand it goes on like that for many miles. Choosing between hara-kiri and suffering that traffic on a daily basis would be a difficult decision for me.

Simple, move closer to work :)

I had a sport bike once, and this video bring me back then, even if I did not do that, you just feel invincible :twisted:
This isnt the case, I sold it

to let you keep an eye on the cop trying to catch up with you. 8)

and since this thread is really about FASr7, here's his latest:
[youtube]xfPp9tDkBtQ[/youtube]

His buddy Andrey is on ES.

Our discussion about him and some of his vids are way back in my thread, here.

He's got a great thread in Russian but I can't find it now.

He said he'd start a thread, but I haven't seen it:
FAS said:
GCinDC said:
FASr7, if you're on here, PLEASE say hello!
HELLO anybody !!!

Sorry, but my english on very bad level. AndreyM will be my personal interpreter. We will create new thread about my electrobent "Molniya".

boostjuice said:
OMG that man is going to die any day soon.
Sorry to spoil the mood, but this is rather my opinion on the matter as well. Yes, the amount of control and skill that is required to do lane threading like that is impressive...but that doesn't make him any less of an a** for doing it (imo). Disregarding that it's probably against the law (definitely is here), he's endangering not only himself, but every motorist that he passes. Plus, that honking...ok, on the one hand it lets the motorists know that he's there, but on the other hand, to me at least, it conveys the message that "WTF are all you cars doing on this road? How dare you be in my way."...and that makes me even less likely to want to get out of his way. Yes, I am that guy that when I see someone in my rearview doing stuff like that, I will shift over in the lane and block them if it looks like they can stop in time. ..I'm also that guy on the motorcycle sitting in traffic, flicking him off as he passes... :roll:

To sum up: Yes, I completely understand the temptation...no, I'll never do it.

Cars not moving or moving so slowly actually pose little risk since they're out on the road there's almost zero chance of a door opening. I took the honking as warning not to stick an arm out of the window and/or prevent pedestrians from stepping in front.

x88x...intentionally drifting over to block a passing cyclist...really???...not a joke??? I suggest a change in attitude, it is neither your right nor your duty to enforce your views of what is appropriate on the roadways. If someone intentionally did that to me there would be some price to pay, the least of which would be for me to complete the pass and block you to force you to a lower speed, so you understand what it's like to be intentionally and rudely inconvenienced.

I guess you haven't realized the true cause of those key marks on your car. When you're in your cage, turn your phone off, put your favorite music on, and go with the slow flow chillin all the way to your destination. Make it a pleasant experience instead of stressing out about others. Being quicker through traffic is an advantage you should make no attempt to deny to cyclists.

:shock: ... :shock: ...and I thought I was brave... Just watching the videos gets my adrenaline going! WOW!

x88x said:
Sorry to spoil the mood, but this is rather my opinion on the matter as well. Yes, the amount of control and skill that is required to do lane threading like that is impressive...but that doesn't make him any less of an a** for doing it (imo). Disregarding that it's probably against the law (definitely is here), he's endangering not only himself, but every motorist that he passes. .

I'm gonna make a wild guess here in that you've never driven outside the US....... In many countries, what we Americans would consider reckless or insane is really just par for the course to the locals. I've been to Moscow, and know how it's like there. Unless you've had to deal with the horrible traffic there - day after day - you,ve really no business criticizing how someone on the other side of the globe drives.

+1 reckless for sure, if police see this guy (if he is in US America) and i guaranteed you that he will recieve a ticket + jail time for insane reckless.

That's how, I almost end up in jail for the reckless (172mph) on my GSXR750R race motorcycle and I had to settle down with the court's DA by giving up my M1 status on my license and sell my race motorcycle. The court DA lawyer agreed and addition 3 years probation. I have been good ever since long time. :D

michaelplogue said:
I'm gonna make a wild guess here in that you've never driven outside the US....... In many countries, what we Americans would consider reckless or insane is really just par for the course to the locals. I've been to Moscow, and know how it's like there. Unless you've had to deal with the horrible traffic there - day after day - you,ve really no business criticizing how someone on the other side of the globe drives.

michaelplogue said:
x88x said:
Sorry to spoil the mood, but this is rather my opinion on the matter as well. Yes, the amount of control and skill that is required to do lane threading like that is impressive...but that doesn't make him any less of an a** for doing it (imo). Disregarding that it's probably against the law (definitely is here), he's endangering not only himself, but every motorist that he passes. .

You are correct on that, and you make a good point. ..doesn't change my opinion on the matter though. As for the horrible traffic, while I haven't seen Moscow's traffic first hand, living and commuting around DC I do frequently have to deal with "miles of backups", as someone described the Moscow traffic. TBH, the traffic he was going through looks a lot like DC at rush hour.

John in CR said:
Cars not moving or moving so slowly actually pose little risk since they're out on the road there's almost zero chance of a door opening.
What about how those cars might react to him passing them that close? I know I wouldn't trust someone riding..well, anything, tbh, that close to any vehicle I'm driving (or vice versa). What if someone swerves to get out of his way and hits other cars? What if the merging car that he cut off didn't see him and kept going? I agree that a certain amount of lane threading is useful and safe to everyone involved, but going that fast, passing inches from surrounding vehicles, and cutting off other vehicles? I don't care what kind of vehicle you're doing that in, it doesn't make it safe to you or those around you, a good idea, or something I would want to do or have done to me.

John in CR said:
x88x...intentionally drifting over to block a passing cyclist...really???...not a joke??? I suggest a change in attitude, it is neither your right nor your duty to enforce your views of what is appropriate on the roadways.
I do the same thing to idiots in cars trying to squeeze the last inch out of an onramp, it's nothing specifically about cyclists. And lumping every cyclist into the same category as what is shown in that video is the same as lumping every motorcycle rider into the same category as Black Devil. The way that people behave on the road determines how I react to them on the road, nothing more. I firmly believe in sharing the roads with cyclists, but it's a two-way street. I'll respect your ease of travel if you respect mine...and what I saw in that video is not respecting the travel of the cars on the road. I drive a car, ride a motorcycle, and ride a bike, so it's not like I've never seen the temptations to each group that certain situations provide. The difference is in how people respond to those temptations.

John in CR said:
If someone intentionally did that to me there would be some price to pay, the least of which would be for me to complete the pass and block you to force you to a lower speed, so you understand what it's like to be intentionally and rudely inconvenienced.
Hurray! Inconveniencing both of us and everyone behind us to teach me a lesson. :p

John in CR said:
it is neither your right nor your duty to enforce your views of what is appropriate on the roadways. [...] the least of which would be for me to complete the pass and block you to force you to a lower speed
I see what you did there. ;)

As Michaelplogue has already said, you do need to make allowances for the differences in driving "styles" around the world. Cairo was, for me, the most suicidal driving experience, yet despite the simply appalling driving, serious collisions don't seem that common. Most big cities in Italy come a close second, with heavy reliance on constant horn blowing and a frequent disregard for road signs, traffic lanes, indicators (turn signals), traffic lights etc. On my first visit there, after a terrifying drive to work in the rush hour on my first day, my Italian Navy host advised me that "in Italy, traffic lights are just for guidance..........".

On the other hand, the most disciplined country I've driven in has to be Germany, where drivers seem to stick to the correct lanes at all times and signal direction changes clearly always, even when they're driving at 150mph down the Autobahn.

It's a serious mistake to judge other countries driving by North American standards. For me (coming from the UK), some of the driving habits in North America seem scary and somewhat dangerous, like the "turn right on red" thing in the US, for example. Do the equivalent manoeuvre here in the UK and you'd be prosecuted for jumping the light.

Jeremy

Jeremy Harris said:
On the other hand, the most disciplined country I've driven in has to be Germany, where drivers seem to stick to the correct lanes at all times and signal direction changes clearly always, even when they're driving at 150mph down the Autobahn.
I do quite like German traffic law. :mrgreen: It says a lot that the fatality rate on the Autobahn is the same or less than the fatality rate on normal highways here in the states.

x88x,

First, I thought we were talking about the guy on the ebike, not the thrill seeker on the moto. Second, trying to police what you believe to be the law or proper etiquette is totally different than reacting to a driver who directs an aggressive and potentially dangerous move at me while I am so exposed on my ebike.

John in CR said:
First, I thought we were talking about the guy on the ebike, not the thrill seeker on the moto.
We were. IMO they're equally bad. One is moving at a high speed, squeezing through wider gaps, on a larger vehicle. The other is moving at a slower speed (though still at a much higher speed than the rest of traffic), squeezing through much narrower gaps on a not significantly narrower vehicle. And they both felt the need to cut down the middle of the road..something that imo is never justifiable.

John in CR said:
Second, trying to police what you believe to be the law or proper etiquette is totally different than reacting to a driver who directs an aggressive and potentially dangerous move at me while I am so exposed on my ebike.
As I stated, I never do it unless I see them far enough away that it is obvious they have time to react/stop/etc. Otherwise I won't change my position because, in my experience, any changes at close range, no matter what direction they are in, almost always do more harm than good. The whole point is that they're endangering others on the road...what in that makes you think I would wilfully add to that danger?

Obviously we have very different, very strongly held opinions on the matter, and I'm happy to leave it at that since it's obvious neither of us is going to be convincing the other of anything.

Back