Nine Continents 9C verses Hightekbikes 10H

Status
Not open for further replies.

HighTekBikes

100 mW
The Nine Continents Story.
The 9C motor was a good design for it's time, being released about two years ago. It was designed in the USA and despite some problems, performed quite well. The original retailer, who happened to be the designer, put a nice kit together and was quite successful with it. The price/performance ratio was good enough that two other companies tracked down the factory and started selling the same kit. Without getting into the nitty gritty, let's just say the original company and Nine Continents had a falling out. The basic 9C design was re-worked and greatly improved before taken to another, more trust worthy factory. The latest design has several improvements over the old 9C, including a better case with disc mount and a steel ring surrounding the magnets, increasing the magnetic flux. This new model is in it's forth revision and has effectively made the Nine Continents motor obsolete. With it's designer gone, the 9C is stuck in time and most likely will never be improved. Yes, it has a good reputation, and people on here rave about it and it definitely has it's supporters (I'm sure I will hear from them). But why would you buy an obsolete design when you can get the improved model for the same price, or even cheaper! The successor to the 9C is a superior motor in every way. So yes, you might be satisfied with a 9C, but if you want the latest and greatest design, and the best value for your money, you will want the improved model. We originally looked at the 9C but wanted to offer only the best on the market, so we went with this newer design.

You are kidding, right? So, "YOU" are saying that the dd hubs on your site, in the 4th generation, are the original 9C motor?

I am not worried, bye bye 9C motor and hello X5303 beast motor hub :)

Something smells a little fishy. I hope you have some evidence of the new improved 9c. Otherwise this seems like a cheep advertising trick.

Wait a second. Are we talking about the motor with the rats nest looking windings that is supposed to be superior in all ways? Let's see a measured performance comparison.

Also, all DD hubmotors have a steel (iron maybe) magnet retaining ring. That's what the spoke flanges are connected to.

Living in China and seeing literally thousands of hub motors on a daily basis... many of which look just like a 9C I find this laughable. The fact that I just had a motor custom made for me makes it even more so. Anyone can have a motor made to their own specs... takes about a week. Unless you are spec-ing a design that require a bunch of new tooling all you are doing is ordering a set of parts and windings that are very readily available. The number of motor variations available here is incredible.

Arn't you trying to take away business from (WILDERNESS ENERGY)? Thay were selling it before you wern't thay and isn't there enough room for others here? Cheep shot from you. :( :( :( :eek: :eek: :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops: :cry: :cry: :roll: :roll:

I like good reputations and raves and long term reviews. New and improved usually means unproven.
Obsolete? Bikes still use spokes and axles. Is a Sturmey 3-speed obsolete because its a 75 year old design? or because there are 9, 11, 14 speeds out?

I don't know why you conceal the names involved, or what the great improvements in those 3 different 'generations' in 2 years are.
But it makes you sound like a gossip or fad marketeer.

Lets see some reviews/tests of this product, it's a big tent, plenty of room for a new DD hub motor! :wink:

Kinda sounds like some FUD.
Can you prove what you are saying, Terry?

the secret ingredient that goes into every nine continent motor is love.
(at no extra charge!)

every morning all their employees (are forced to?) recite this 9c customer pledge.
what oath do you recite to banish evil spirits from your motor so they'll be double lucky:?:

The Nine Continent Mission Statement said:
pieces of blinking medals and certificates
are recorded our nine continent people growing
trace; and wrote down our resplendent yesterday.
facing to the credit
we never satisfy
we take the glory as the responsibility
a courage
inspirit us to progress for ever
facing the future ,
we will work hard double,
create the new outstanding achievement
with our wisdom and diligence.

This seems like a classic "shoot yourself in the foot" advertisement..................

Giving the members of this forum (who are generally pretty savvy people) a load of meaningless words, with no data to back them up, was doomed to failure.

Before I'd agree with a single word in your advert, Terry, I'd want to see hard evidence to suport your claims. Give us independent dyno plots of "your" motor versus the "original" motor, show us how big the differences (if there are any) are, prove to us that your claims are true. That way we can decide on the cost vs performance and make up our own minds as to who to buy from.

Jeremy

#1, 9C pre-dates you selling it.
#2, All hubmotors have back-iron, and a 9C has about 2-3x thicker back-iron than it needs to begin with.
#3, Justin had 9c's with disk covers a year back.
He also has a hubmotor dyno that can measure efficiency, torque, power, etc. If you think you've got something special/unique, why not send him up one to dyno, and he can over-lay the graph with a normal 9C and we can all behold the performance improvement of your motor.

liveforphysics said:
#2, All hubmotors have back-iron, and a 9C has about 2-3x thicker back-iron than it needs to begin with.
He also has a hubmotor dyno that can measure efficiency, torque, power, etc. If you think you've got something special/unique, why not send him up one to dyno, and he can over-lay the graph with a normal 9C and we can all behold the performance improvement of your motor.

Good call.

A dyno test with comparative plots of the two motors on Justin's dyno would prove/disprove the claims made once and for all. I look forward to seeing the results.

Jeremy

Jeremy Harris said:
liveforphysics said:

Good call.

A dyno test with comparative plots of the two motors on Justin's dyno would prove/disprove the claims made once and for all. I look forward to seeing the results.

Jeremy

:twisted: I love this forum :lol:

so lets not beat around the bush here...

amped is nothing but a grain of sand as far as 9C goes.. 9C sells 1000's of kits a month ( like 10,000+ !! ... ) to india etc. The design, consistency, etc is all there, proven.

I ordered a pallet of motors from crystalyte, they made me what i asked for, special windings like 4013 with long axles.. etc.. nothing special there anyone can do that. does not make it a magic pill.... or patentable lol...

Taking a 250w kit and pushing it over it's limits is no secret sauce either.

I hate these tactics...

Ypedal said:
so lets not beat around the bush here...

amped is nothing but a grain of sand as far as 9C goes.. 9C sells 1000's of kits a month ( like 10,000+ !! ... ) to india etc. The design, consistency, etc is all there, proven.
[...]

I hate these tactics...

Now, let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater. The Hightekbikes website does not ever mention Ampedbikes, in fact the picture of the hubmotor shown with the claims stated in the OP was an Aotema motor. I haven't heard anything about Amped selling their motors through other dealers as Aotema, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I have read somewhere on these forums about a falling out between the owner of AmpedBikes and 9C, but I haven't investigated it any further, so I can't comment on this. All I know is that Amped puts out a good hubmotor conversion kit (I'm quite pleased with mine, anyway) and they give good customer service.

Cameron

After some comments from Terry on their motors a long while back, I offered to test one of their motors head to head with a 9C and other motors I have. Terry didn't comment back, so I emailed a proposal, offering to test and review a motor, and asking to buy just a motor at cost or a discount for the purpose of testing and reviewing on this forum.
They didn't say no, They just never answered my email.

So this is my 3rd offer. I have 2 diffrent speeds of 9C motors already to compare it with, along with 2 speeds of Clyte and a geared motor, and I would be comparing it on the same bike I use for the 9C motors.

oldpiper said:
Now, let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater. The Hightekbikes website does not ever mention Ampedbikes, in fact the picture of the hubmotor shown with the claims stated in the OP was an Aotema motor. I haven't heard anything about Amped selling their motors through other dealers as Aotema, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I have read somewhere on these forums about a falling out between the owner of AmpedBikes and 9C, but I haven't investigated it any further, so I can't comment on this. All I know is that Amped puts out a good hubmotor conversion kit (I'm quite pleased with mine, anyway) and they give good customer service.

Cameron

Now we're getting down to what really matters when choosing any supplier, customer service. There are three things, and only three things, that I really look for in any supplier:

- A proven record of good customer service, preferably by personal recommendation (which is one reason why this forum is so good)

- Demonstrable trustworthiness, again with a good track record.

- Accurate product knowledge and honest and truthful presentation of it..

If any of these three are in doubt I go and look somewhere else. It's the reason I'm so keen to jump on one or two of the salespeople who come on to this forum and try and bullshit about their product - misleading potential customers is a cardinal sin in my book and would be the one thing that would ensure that I'd never do business with that person.

Jeremy

Terry may be a fine guy, but he needs to leave the marketing to someone else. He always seems to step in steaming pile of dogshit. Comparisons with the offering of others to differentiate product is fine, but there are right and wrong ways to do it, and you better come armed with more than fluff. Plus, trying to knock others down so that you appear to be taller works only in political elections. In this case Terry was so concerned about knocking the original 9C that his message was lost. If he's got a new motor designed by the same guy who designed the 9C and thinks the new motor is better, then say simply that and offer the first 10 motors to ESers at a steep discount, or a couple of free ones to willing ES testers.

If the intent is to use controversy to draw attention to his site and increase sales that way, then I submit that in this instance there are far better marketing approaches.

Was I dreaming but it looks like TERRY came back and cleaned up his post some, droping the statement of acusing (E-BIKEKIT-JASON ) of stealing AMPEDS design. I think an APOLIGY is due from him for this claim about stealing. :( :( :(

BLUESTREAK said:
Was I dreaming but it looks like TERRY came back and cleaned up his post some, droping the statement of acusing (E-BIKEKIT-JASON ) of stealing AMPEDS design. I think an APOLIGY is due from him for this claim about stealing. :( :( :(
Meh... the original is quoted in a later post and the terry's edits were insignificant to the point of being as pathetic as the original premise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back