When E-Bikes Attack!

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
Ok, well this "attack" is kinda lame, and self inflicted, but I'm hoping some of your stories will be more interesting!

38943924062_large.jpg

I found out the hard way that the clearance between my knees and the sharp edge of my unfinished front fairing's cargo area was too tight! :oops: :wink:

I'm sure someone could top that! :lol:

No Skin lost but V2 elation kits can be real pants eaters if you forget to tuck them into your socks or use clips etc.
Ruined a pair of trousers that way :oops: :lol: .
Difficult to get off the bike with the bottom of your pant leg wedged thoroughly in the "guard". After I modified the bike I removed the guard so nothing can get caught. maybe munched but not trapped!

I have plans to build a proper guard but too many other things to do.

If this happens to you going forward doesn't help the solution is to roll the bike backwards as that drives the chain backwards and hopefully spits you free as it turns the motor backwards.

Was wiring a throttle into a Lyen controller when , without realizing it, I wired the throttle up when it was stuck in an "On" position, thanks to being a cheap throttle in the freezing cold. The 5304 hadn't been tightened into the drop-outs of my truing stand, it kicked immediately like a horse, spun itself out of the stand, scared the sh!t out of me, and the only reason it didn't short the phase wires and blow the controller etc was because it dislodged the red-wire which acts as a switch on Lyen controllers.

After that I made sure the hub was in the drop outs of an actual bicycle and everything was done in the proper order. :shock:

My E-bike did not hurt me, yet.

But dirt bikes sure did: Broken bones, cuts and bruises. I can't count them.
Nothing like the bulls tough. Falling with a bike may be at higher speed; but the bike, unlike the bull, does not come back to try and finish you. :mrgreen:

Ricky_nz said:
No Skin lost but V2 elation kits can be real pants eaters if you forget to tuck them into your socks or use clips etc.
Ruined a pair of trousers that way :oops: :lol: .
Difficult to get off the bike with the bottom of your pant leg wedged thoroughly in the "guard". After I modified the bike I removed the guard so nothing can get caught. maybe munched but not trapped!

I have plans to build a proper guard but too many other things to do.

If this happens to you going forward doesn't help the solution is to roll the bike backwards as that drives the chain backwards and hopefully spits you free as it turns the motor backwards.

Wow, close one! :shock: :mrgreen:

The Mighty Volt said:
Was wiring a throttle into a Lyen controller when , without realizing it, I wired the throttle up when it was stuck in an "On" position, thanks to being a cheap throttle in the freezing cold. The 5304 hadn't been tightened into the drop-outs of my truing stand, it kicked immediately like a horse, spun itself out of the stand, scared the sh!t out of me, and the only reason it didn't short the phase wires and blow the controller etc was because it dislodged the red-wire which acts as a switch on Lyen controllers.

After that I made sure the hub was in the drop outs of an actual bicycle and everything was done in the proper order. :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Yikes! Another close one, man that would have made a great video! :lol:

Hopefully nothing was too badly damaged? (damaged pride doesn't count :wink: )

MadRhino said:
My E-bike did not hurt me, yet.

But dirt bikes sure did: Broken bones, cuts and bruises. I can't count them.
Nothing like the bulls tough. Falling with a bike may be at higher speed; but the bike, unlike the bull, does not come back to try and finish you. :mrgreen:

Bulls as in Bultaco? I never rode dirt, heard too many stories, and my street bike addiction at the time was more than I could afford, however, I did watch "On any Sunday"!

Malcolm Smith had me try to learn the dirt at least once :wink: man that guy was amazing! :twisted:

Bulls as in bullriding, long ago, but still painfull on rainy days.

I never had a Bultaco, but I had one trial bike, Yam TT400. That was hard torque, enough to do a 3 ft frog jump on clutch release. I had many cross and enduro, always preffered offroad and dirt. I had very few road bikes, my last road bike was in 1979, crushed under a truck.

I got a scratch like that the other day when I was working on my Runt inside. For some reason it doesn't like standing on it's head. From now on I wear jeans and shoes when working on bike. Nearly dropped a Snapon screwdriver into my foot same time. :oops: I suppose having two hands would help but I'm SOL there, due to superbike faceplant in Cali back in 86. Telephone poles smart when struck at 100 mph.
Brian L.

Just reminds me how lucky I was to be wearing full gear and having an angle on my shoulder when I face-planted a guard rail at about 80MPH at PIR (doesn't matter how "slow" your motorcycle is when you hit something at speed) I was ok, and it only took a little money to fix the bike.

Sorry to hear you lost your hand, but I'm sure I'm not the only one impressed by your not letting it keep you from riding/building an E-Bike!

Dropping things on the foot can be pretty bad, I don't remember it, but when I was very young I managed to drop a butcher's knife on my foot requiring some stitches! :oops: :lol:

Needless to say I wasn't allowed to carve the turkey again! :p

I once was working on a motorcycle when I wanted to be a mechanic and pulled hard on a cable, lost grip and ended up with the points of the needle nose pliers in my forehead! :shock: :oops: :roll: :lol:

Starting to look like we are related. I think you can guess why! :lol: I lost more than a hand that day but that's old news. I love bikes. and look forward to finishing one of mine so I can ride again without undue hysterics. I must pedal with one leg, while I remove the other from the pedal so it can continue it's arc as that leg doesn't bend. I look like an epilepsy attack on wheels! Sorry if I offended anyone. My sister had it. That's why I want an Ebike. So I don't have to pedal. That's why I'm such a fan of Ypedal! :D Sorry for the hijack.
Brian L.

No, not at all! I'm glad that you found ES so you can get an E-Bike and be able to ride!

I haven't read anywhere that says you have to pedal for it to be a bike, just that it has working pedals, so I'm sure you're fine. :wink:

Well, back to the garage, hope to be riding under power today! :twisted:

RallySTX said:
I must pedal with one leg, while I remove the other from the pedal so it can continue it's arc as that leg doesn't bend. I look like an epilepsy attack on wheels! Sorry if I offended anyone.

There are many disabled folks involved in motorsports, ebiking or otherwise - while being autistic doesn't impair my pedaling ability it makes life interesting in other ways. I wanted to say that before passing along something else disability-related which I thought was very funny. The British motoring show "Top Gear" has some of its shows available to stream online. In one of them, a crew member with a prosthetic arm was driving a weird double-decker vehicle in some kind of race... and the arm came loose! The hand was still gripped onto the wheel, so cranking it back and forth made the arm flop all over the place. Once I got past the "should I be laughing at this?" stage it appeared hilarious. The intent was not to make fun of or belittle anyone. Still don't know if that could've been done on US TV, though...

davespicer said:
RallySTX said:
I must pedal with one leg, while I remove the other from the pedal so it can continue it's arc as that leg doesn't bend. I look like an epilepsy attack on wheels! Sorry if I offended anyone.

There are many disabled folks involved in motorsports, ebiking or otherwise - while being autistic doesn't impair my pedaling ability it makes life interesting in other ways. I wanted to say that before passing along something else disability-related which I thought was very funny. The British motoring show "Top Gear" has some of its shows available to stream online. In one of them, a crew member with a prosthetic arm was driving a weird double-decker vehicle in some kind of race... and the arm came loose! The hand was still gripped onto the wheel, so cranking it back and forth made the arm flop all over the place. Once I got past the "should I be laughing at this?" stage it appeared hilarious. The intent was not to make fun of or belittle anyone. Still don't know if that could've been done on US TV, though...

LOL!! I love that show, I could just imagine that scene! :D

Top Gear is my all time favorite show! Jeremy, James, and Richard are all tallented presenters with a gift for words. And I am supremely jealous of their day job. Time to go and carpet bomb, er someplace!?! :D I don't think the networks would have enough brass between their legs to do it. Look what happened to Sons of Anarchy, no longer available for streaming online. :cry: I still want to get into autoracing, but where would I be competative with an automatic transmission? And who would sponsor a 48 year old man? Oh well, dreams and all that rubbish. I'll be grinning when the Spoiler is finished next year. Snowing here tonight, I hope we get two feet like Eau Claire did! Cheers!
Brian L.

Yeah! Top Gear rocks! I love it when they race all kinds of crazy farm equipment and such, what an amazing show!

Stay safe in all that snow! Send some my way if you can, I'm tired of no snow just tons of rain here in Oregon. :roll: :wink:

I could do that but it would be water by the time it arrived. :( Good luck going back to school! I did that at your age. Try not to let those young skirts distract you too much! :p
Brian L.

RallySTX said:
I could do that but it would be water by the time it arrived. :( Good luck going back to school! I did that at your age. Try not to let those young skirts distract you too much! :p
Brian L.

He he funny you say that, my biggest problem when I was "that age" was getting noticed, now that I have a little grey in my beard but otherwise I still look young for my age, I have them trying to get me to notice them??! Nevermind that I am about 2x the age of most of them ... figures! :roll: :lol:

"Hey dad, I want you to meet this guy, no he doesn't have a job, rides around on a crazy electric bike, doesn't own a car, but he's really nice! .... oh ya and he's 20 years older than me ..."

Like that's going to go over well ... :oops: :p :wink: :lol:

Back