Rim Job

Drunkskunk

100 GW
After a trouble with some tires last month and a call to the manufacturer, I found out my favorite rim just won't cut it any more.

I've been running Sun Ringle MTX, but after some research, I'm finding other people are also having issues fitting more modern tires to their high sidewalls. It was the owner of Arrow Racing tires that first clued me in, but a lot of googling backs it up. Its not the tire, its the rim. its ashamed, too. but I'll keep these rims for my street bike. Hookworms fit if you're angry enough when you mount them :D

What I need is a strong DH style rim, 35mm wide or more that can fit a modern DH style tire. I plan to run 2.7 to 3 inch tires at least on this new bike, and need a solid rim.
Any recomendations?

Did you really search the internet for 'rim job', you dirty Drunkskunk?

I use the Sunrim BFM, with Kenda Nevegal 2.5. Good match, strongest rim that Sun ever made (disc only), tire wears fast on the street but soft gum sticks like hell. I also use Maaxis Minion 2.7 on Alexrims BHDH, good setup too.

I looked into the Alex DX32. looks great but I'm not sure it will be strong enough for my style riding. I see it's gotten great reviews, it may be worth a try. 39MM wide too!

That list is a great source of whats out there, but I'm looking for info on what fits. Since many manufacturers like Arrow and Maxxis are going to tighter tollerances for newer DH tires, Some rims just won't work with some tires now.

So whats out there that people know will fit?

"Rim Job"?....reminds me of Steve Martin playing Navin in "The Jerk", when he wrotes home...Dear Mom, don't worry about my finances as I should have more money soon, since my girlfriend says she will be giving me a job. I think it involves inflating balloons....

jerk.jpg

Back