Manufacturing in USA will be cheaper than China by 2015

Magzy

10 mW
I came across this Economist article that stated that at the current rate it will be cheaper to build things in the USA than China by 2015.

http://www.economist.com/node/18682182

This means that if anyone is thinking of opening an ebike manufacturing enterprise should consider good ole USA.

It will save on those postage costs. Also, Because everyone sill be skint and Gas prices will be something like $10 /gallon there's a good oppotunity for any budding engineers to take the helm...

Tennessee and Kansas are "right to work" states. The name is arbitrarily meaningless, but the bottom line is that there are no unions there. I am working in what is probably the lowest paying municipal water plant in north america, but my son just bought a 3BR/2Ba house in a nice neighborhood for $75K...

The higher cost of fuel will mean that e-bikes will rapidly gain interest with the masses, and also that parts from China will become more expensive to transport here. I don't see there being many manufacturing jobs created in California, though...tough to start a company there.

That would be nice.
Part of China's power play is that they have many lithium and rare earth mines jeopardized though.
Just like we have oil dialed in, by occupying and meddling with oil-bearing nations.

We do have some rare earth metals but they are hard to get at. I think we would still be reliant on south America if we wanted to get rare earths.

If some kind of EV revolution occurs here, it may be with some of the less popular technologies like molten salt, induction motors, things like that.

“Sometime around 2015, manufacturers will be indifferent between locating in America or China for production for consumption in America,” says Mr Sirkin. That calculation assumes that wage growth will continue at around 17%

Yeah I'm sure all the peasant and child labor will see their salaries grow at this rate.

This article is nonsense, Global manufacturing trends that have been forming for the last 30 years aren't going to change much by 2015.

You want to build bikes in the US you will be serving a smaller market sector ,that is willing to pay a higher price for superior design, construction, and service.

The game changer will be when it gets too expensive to ship stuff globally. Thus, it will again be cheaper to make in the USA to sell in the USA. But the USA will not be able to afford to ship very far, and compete with locally made goods.

Of course, along the way, other crap could happen. I'm not sure I believe that oil will go that high by 2015. I do believe that there are powerfull, and rich, folks who's lives and all their energy is devoted to trying to make oil go that high. Or as high as possible each spring in any case. Lotta money gets made that way, and buying the jackasses who predict higher prices is dirt cheap compared to the profits from a 1 buck increase in the barrel of oil.

Great article! I have experienced this first hand with lithium battery suppliers.

I wont mention names but I had a battery supplier in China and it took 3-4 weeks to get my battery. Once I got it, if I had any issues or needed replacement that would take another month. This mostly due to strict customs control in China.

For nearly the same price I now have a very reliable American supplier that I can get a new battery in 1 week. Any issues and I can have a replacement in 1 week or less. No customs or shipping to worry about.

This is just one small example. Im sure there are other sectors experiencing something similar.

Read the title and I actually scoffed. This will never happen, is anyone in America willing to work for 100usd per month? can factories in America get away with working 24hours a day, having their employees work 48 shifts? Do American staff even have the manufacturing experience?

Even if the manufacturing industry in China declines, other countries in the far east are ready to pick up the slack. Vietnam, Cambodia, the Philipines, Indonesia, Korea and Thailand all have factories that manufacture all sorts of goods. They can even manage the same price point as the Chinese factories. Chinese factories are more convenient to use because they have been established for a long time and have the experience to make good products. Chinese factories are also closer to the raw materials, this saves a lot of time/money in shipping stuff around before it gets put together.

@the guy above me, but was your battery made in China anyway?

We're already seeing "Made In India" ebikes where the parts are mostly China-made... Assembly (labour) costs has simply shifted to cheaper-labour nations as China wages rise...

Lock

I have to agree w/ dogman on this, cost of shipping will be the only factor to change the tide. Personally I think the income tax should be abolished, tax all refined oil products. This way industry can not hire lobbiest to get tax breaks for the large Co. Lobbiest control what rules are passed and won't allow the current tax system to change as this is where their money is extorted. :evil:

As for China's monopoly on rare earths, not true it is just so much cheaper for them to pull it out that the world market can't compete.

bigisland said:
“Sometime around 2015, manufacturers will be indifferent between locating in America or China for production for consumption in America,” says Mr Sirkin. That calculation assumes that wage growth will continue at around 17%

Yeah I'm sure all the peasant and child labor will see their salaries grow at this rate.

This article is nonsense, Global manufacturing trends that have been forming for the last 30 years aren't going to change much by 2015.

You want to build bikes in the US you will be serving a smaller market sector ,that is willing to pay a higher price for superior design, construction, and service.

It's actually happening now. With news from the outside world coming in, Chinese workers at Honda plants found out what their peers in Japan make for producing the same parts, and struck:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/29/business/global/29honda.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/09/business/global/09honda.html

and it's spreading beyond Honda:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/11/AR2010061105718.html

The important thing about these strikes is simply that they were allowed to happen. Beijing is not shutting them down at the first sign of impending protest.

I think 2015 is probably a pretty good estimate for some kind of worker parity in China, it's getting harder all the time to keep their working class isolated from the world. Time will tell.

Cameron

I'm with the "shipping costs will become prohibitive" group.

This, coupled with China's absolutely horrible quality control, will definitely continue to shift the global manufacturing market.

BTW, it seems that an ever growing number of auto manufacturers are locating production plants within the United States and/or North America.

Magzy said:
I came across this Economist article that stated that at the current rate it will be cheaper to build things in the USA than China by 2015.

http://www.economist.com/node/18682182
Magzy,
Decent little article. Thanks for bring it to our attention. I've been saying this for several years now. Anyone who starts to understand energy use and production, as in "energy+raw resources=human commerce," understands this almost intuitively. Those who deny via wishful thinking that the energy that has built our current civilization is finite, and that we've gotten most of the low hanging fruit, can never make the right decisions because their equations are fatally flawed. The flaws of thinking that nature's resources are a function of past experiences that will sustain themselves without stewardship is human insanity, dangerous hubris.

Energy to transform those resources for human consumption is the first casualty that we face, and it's coming down on us like an avalanche. There are still plenty of mineral resources but they won't do us much good without the transforming energy. South America has more Lithium than China ever dreamed of, as well as rare earths and basic metal and mineral ores all over the Americas as well as huge deposits in Iceland. "It's the energy stupid."

Magzy said:
This means that if anyone is thinking of opening an ebike manufacturing enterprise should consider good ole USA.
Yes, but.... Think of what will be impacted first by tremendous increases in the costs of conventional energy which are inevitable in a very short time frame. It will be those products and resources that have the most bulk and weight. Shipping iron or aluminium ore to China for transformation into heavy products like cars, refrigerators and structural steel for shipment back to America will be a thing of the past within a decade. North American steel production is already rapidly rising and the rust belt will become again the shiny belt. It's not that most of the jobs lost in the old industry's flight will return because the newly returned industry will be ever more highly automated, but all that trickles back down from the middle, not the top.

The thing that makes e-bikes, or perhaps I should say light electric vehicles, so precious for our future, is their lightness and relatively less bulk, requiring far less energy to move, so those vehicles and their components will resist returning to our shores for awhile, and those things that do get made here will likely be the heavier components, like frames and batteries. In that light, the current administration's protection of our vehicle industry and R&D support for sustainable energy and battery tech looks pretty darned prescient. The higher the value v.s. weight and bulk, the less American manufacturers can compete for the time being. So i-pods and derailers are liable to stay where they are for now, while frames, dishwashers and batteries come home to roost.

As energy costs increase, supply chains contract, and that will rebound to our advantage, but only if we get a handle on our energy needs and costs and have enough smart folks left to take advantage (energy+education). An interesting little article about thermal solar power a month or so ago showed how the plants promoted by the maligned (by energy royalty pigs) Carter administration have now been paid for and are producing electricity at under 4 cents/kwh. Smart grid+much better battery tech+sustainable, if intermittent, energy+smart capital=a sustainable, cleaner, higher quality of life, though energy constrained, smaller future. Welcome to the "Great Contraction."

bigisland said:
This article is nonsense, Global manufacturing trends that have been forming for the last 30 years aren't going to change much by 2015
What is nonsense is the belief that tremendous increases in shipping costs won't happen and won't tilt the equation rapidly. As several have said, it has already started and it will only pick up steam as bunker fuel costs and overseas labor costs rise.

lester12483 said:
Great article! I have experienced this first hand with lithium battery suppliers.

I wont mention names but I had a battery supplier in China and it took 3-4 weeks to get my battery. Once I got it, if I had any issues or needed replacement that would take another month. This mostly due to strict customs control in China.

For nearly the same price I now have a very reliable American supplier that I can get a new battery in 1 week. Any issues and I can have a replacement in 1 week or less. No customs or shipping to worry about.

This is just one small example. Im sure there are other sectors experiencing something similar.
Lester,
Excellent, sharp story! The small examples really start to add up, don't they? Even though your new supplier is probably using Chinese cells, that will change as well, and the small examples get larger and more significant.

jetzki said:
Read the title and I actually scoffed. This will never happen, is anyone in America willing to work for 100usd per month? can factories in America get away with working 24hours a day, having their employees work 48 shifts? Do American staff even have the manufacturing experience?
jetski,
Scoff if you must, but small manufacturers like Lester aren't scoffing any more than the multinationals are. Do you think Honda would manufacture in America if Vietnam were ultimately cheaper? The cost targets are moving at light speed and shifting ever faster as diminishing resources put a crimp here and a crimp there. American workers are forced to take less and Chinese workers demand more until suddenly the landscape changes dramatically. With even more speed than they moved out, factories will move back to our neighborhoods. They will likely be smaller, more robotic, more interconnected than ever before as resource constraints and markets demand.

oldpiper said:
The important thing about these strikes is simply that they were allowed to happen. Beijing is not shutting them down at the first sign of impending protest.

I think 2015 is probably a pretty good estimate for some kind of worker parity in China, it's getting harder all the time to keep their working class isolated from the world. Time will tell.
Cameron,
As one old dude to another, very astute, another rapidly shifting target. A Chinese/American blogger I watch who spends as much time in the Far East as here, points out that our rapidly eroding democratic political system still draws educated Chinese to North America and Europe in droves, so the political system in China must adapt if they are not to dissolve into chaos eventually. However, if we continue to turn our political system over to the rich and powerful Lords of the Multinational Universe, the smart folks from any corner of the world will have less reason to cast their lot with us, even if their rulers remain backwards.

Magzy said:
It will save on those postage costs. Also, Because everyone sill be skint and Gas prices will be something like $10 /gallon there's a good oppotunity for any budding engineers to take the helm...
Exactly! Anyone who thinks that energy prices won't head for the moon is crazy wrong. Or they may be crazy right on the basis of our economy staying mired in recession/depression to keep the energy costs down. It's a very sticky wicket. How many more Asians can move around on a barrel of oil with 200 mpg scooters or electric scooters, than Americans can move around in 15mpg SUVs? Who's gonna win the bidding war for that barrel of oil?

And I'm thinkin' L/D "ocean" transport costs will drop a lot in the future...
http://www.cargill.com/news-center/news-releases/2011/NA3040908.jsp
GENEVA, SWITZERLAND — 28 February 2011 — Cargill has signed an agreement with SkySails GmbH & Co. KG (SkySails) to use wind power technology to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the shipping industry. SkySails, based in Hamburg, has developed innovative, patented technology that uses a kite which flies ahead of the vessel and generates enough propulsion to reduce consumption of bunker fuel by up to 35 percent in ideal sailing conditions.

Future cargo airships could get a boost from the jetstreams (watts left of them):
http://www.airship.com/

("...in 1929 the Graf Zeppelin (a LTA ship) hauled 60 metric tons (134,000 lbs.) 7,000 nautical miles from Germany to Japan, non stop, in 3.5 days. This was in an era when airplanes built out of wood and canvas were just being phased out in favor of metal skinned aircraft.")

Just sayin'... room to innovate.
tks
Lock

This shift will take a longer time then that to happen. The big upsurge in China was the huge hydro dam development which gave more energy for production. I agree that ships will become nuclear powered when oil costs become to great. With the current state of hydro development in South America it will mean that China will soon have some competition. The only way that North America will be able to compete is by increasing electrical energy distribution networks and energy efficient transportation methods on land such as electrical railways in urban environments. Now getting back on topic - who has an electric bike that rides on railway tracks = how many miles per AH do you get. I have seen them on the BC Coquihalla railway but never racing a train. I'll bet that you could get some serious efficiency.

The shift could start today. The USA holds all the cards when it comes to trade and manufacturing, we just dont use them. American politicans have no patriotism, no spine, they screw us to cater to corporate interests.

Case in point. There are a ton of empty factories here in Chicago. If the city was smart(they are not) then why not give companies a tax free incentive to take over the buildings? (Mayoral candidate Gery Chico proposed this idea.)

Allow them to rent free for several years and watch all the startup companies take advantage of that and actually bring jobs back. Keep in mind the factories are JUST SITTING THERE EMPTY, why not give them away and promote job growth?

Good idea if the politicians own the buildings. Chances are, the actual owners are holding companies based on China or some kind of foriegn money. :lol:

Remember when the big scare was that Japan was buying all of america? Personally I think the big change is not coming that soon. You guys have just been listening to much to the guys who got paid to predict high fuel costs this year. They did a good job, but the bubble didn't even last till summer this time.

They'll try again next spring.

The article is a typical mix up of reasonable stuff and fluff. Wham-o moved production because of transportation costs, not labor.

GM is adding 4,000 new jobs ... they cut 40,000 last year.

What a crock of shit. Just tell me where I can place my order for US made motors for delivery in 2015 at present valued Chinese prices and I'll put my money where my mouth is. Idiotic attempts to explain that the now inevitable swing of power will not occur without wholesale changes very soon in the west, are just that, idiotic. As long as the standard of living in China is increasing, no meaningful change will occur there, so there's simply no chance of the playing field leveling 4 years from now, especially when the US holds so few cards.

John in CR said:
What a crock of shit.
so there's simply no chance of the playing field leveling 4 years from now, especially when the US holds so few cards.

You're absolutely right. When I was younger factories moved from the north in America to the south. Then it was Korea, Mexico, India, Pakistan, and China. Vietnam is next on the list if I'm not mistaken, we won't see the balance tip our way in my lifetime.

I lost my high paying union job in 1980 when an AMF plant moved to South Carolina, my dad lost his job when sneaker production moved to Korea.

The one exception is items that are really easy to produce and are too bulky for their value, like pool noodles made by Wham-O. It's cheaper to pay high labor costs than to ship them in containers.

John in CR said:
especially when the US holds so few cards.

If our politicins actually had a spine we should be labeling China a currency manipulator and tax their imports.

Watch the big wave of companies come back to the US.

That is a pretty slippery slope to be on, Lester. Also I'm not so sure we want their currency value to rise much. We owe them a ton of money to finance our debt and may not want to pay it back with cheaper dollars.
otherDoc

I just don't think that in 2015 It is going to be so expensive to ship a container of bicycles here from china that it will be cheaper to mass produce them here. (unless there is WW III) And I would bet that in 2015 all the foreign hub motor companies will still be making their products where they are. I'm not saying the US is totally screwed, time may save or change us. All though you have to admit our performance has been minimal in the last 50 years, not much has been achieved here but the internet and the F-15, But this is our destiny. This country is on an obvious downward slide, there is really no denying that in my mind. But thats the nature of civilizations. Overall I think globally things are getting better, one less dictator here one less monarch there, and now at least we know we are about to slow cook ourselves. I do think there will be some successful LEV's designed in this country though (If profiteering market forces don't stifle them from really being used). Because I think there is still a creative edge here. I have noticed that a lot of the world is still behind in real creativity that an excess of freedom fosters over time, this is just my personal opinion that I have witnessed in my own work in the art and design field. Here in the US we have twice as many people who think they can do any crazy thing they dream up, God bless them!

[bump] :)

Back