Front brake on the left or right lever?

Lowell

100 kW
I used to hook the front brake to the right lever on my mountain bikes to give more of a motorcycle feel. On an e-bike with a twist throttle, it seems even more natural. Anyone else doing this?

Hell yeah! Can't stand anything other than the same as my motorcycles. Rear brake on the left is even the same as my EVT.

**edit, oops, that should have been rear brake on the left of course**

Yup, I do this with my bikes, this way I have my hand on the stronger brake while signaling.

Front Brake on the Right.
Throttle on the Right. (1/4 width)

Rear Brake on the Left.
Twist Shifter on the Left. (1/4 width)

Every possible "hands on" control is used, but I could probably switch to a rear brake on the right foot and shift (somehow) with the left foot. Overall this current setup works well... the hands have better "feel" than the feet... so I have no plans to change anything...

Yes, I put the front brake on the right, and have a quarter-length throttle.
It's good for the several reasons already noted, plus it obsoletes any "need" for a brake cut-off switch, because you can't apply brake without releasing throttle. Ebike makers should do it this way, don't you think?

The cable run is shortest from the right; a simple flying lead;
looks and works the neatest.

Reid Welch said:
Yes, I put the front brake on the right, and have a quarter-length throttle.
It's good for the several reasons already noted, plus it obsoletes any "need" for a brake cut-off switch, because you can't apply brake without releasing throttle. Ebike makers should do it this way, don't you think?

The cable run is shortest from the right; a simple flying lead;
looks and works the neatest.

Well you can certainly still have throttle and front brake at the same time, as I was just doing a burn out in my garage. May as well use up my last 26" knobby, as this bike isn't going to see any heavy duty off road again. :lol:

Back