Would you ride with 1 missing spoke?

geetarboy

100 W
Over the past several days I have noticed the creaking & popping noise getting louder on my 'drive wheel' whenever I turn to the left. So, before I took-off today, I started tightening up some loose spokes. 1 snapped right at the nipple before it even began to tighten. The wheel is pretty straight and true. I went on a 6 mile trip keeping my speed below average and slower starts 'n' stops with no problem besides spoke noise when taking off.
My question is how long would you ride with a missing spoke on your drive wheel? Or, what is the longest you've gone with missing spoke(s)? Thanks - Mark

No further than I had to, but I think your biggest potential problem is the head of that spoke working it's way into the tube.

If you can't replace it right away, I would at least get the broken head out of the rim. Otherwise, you're pretty safe with just one spoke broken though I would think others are going to follow soon if the problem isn't fixed, maybe you have too much weight on them for their size, or the just got loose too often?

i will still ride by bike if my spoke is broken, i will come back and quickly get a replacement. i can't find my exact length spokes, so i will build one myself. cut a 26inch good spokes and i do the thread lines. quick and fast. if one spokes break, soon and later one by one will starts to breaking.. if you riding at a high speed, like 50km/h,, more will start to breaking too, just a matter of time how long can the spokes endure.

i will always check if there is any broken spokes too for the safety riding.

ken

I have one or two cracked spokes, and never even considered them missing to be an issue. No problems yet, and I have hundreds of abusive miles on my bike since I last noticed a spoke broke.

LI-ghtcycle said:
No further than I had to, but I think your biggest potential problem is the head of that spoke working it's way into the tube.

If you can't replace it right away, I would at least get the broken head out of the rim.
LI-ghtcycle said:
I didn't even think about that. It is a double-wall rim, that might be some of the noise i'm hearing now. I am going to swap-out the wheel before I ride it. Thanks

on my 20000 km stock 9x7 i just replaced it had 3 broken spokes that pulled through the double wall
probably 5000km were with broken spokes...it was still working when removed but had a noticeble wobble
i think i took some photo's i will look and post later to show you
wasp

Ride it only as much as you have to before getting it fixed. By definition, a broken spoke means a wheel that has uneven tension. This puts stress on the rim and gradually will deform it. The longer you ride on a wheel with a broken spoke, the more out of true the rim will become. At a certain point, a bike rim will no longer be able to be set up true and round no matter what you do with the spokes.

I noticed a strange noise commong from my back rim on my way to work last week, pulled over but could not immidiatly identify the problem.
When I got to work I did a more thorough inspection and noticed I had a broken spoke.
It was just as the previous poster said, my rim had started to deform and was way out of true rubbing against my brakes.
I left the bike there at the end of my shift, not wanting to do any more damage than was starting to happen.
As a side note boy did the LBS guys give me a hard time when I brought it in for a spoke replacement and a wheel truing.

I *have* ridden my very heavy CrazyBike2 with as many as four broken spokes on the rear wheel, though not by choice. I'd much rather just replace them immediately (and indeed, I promised myself repeatedly I'd carry spare spokes and nipples for the purpose, but I can't seem to keep that promise very long when I make it).

The most recent:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=436468#p436468

Each unsupported span between spokes pulling to the same side of the hub can be thought of as a lever with which to bend the rim sideways (out of true) or outwards (out of round). The longer the lever, the larger the stress on the rim from the same external loads. So the smaller the number of spokes, the larger the rim is in diameter, or the weaker its section is to bending, the easier it is to permanently deform it.

(Bending a rim inward-- flat spotting-- is a little different. It's a function of the rim's beam strength and the applied load; spokes have very little to do with it because they can't push the rim outward; they can only pull inward.)

If a spoke breaks, it doubles the length of the unsupported span centered upon it, and it leaves that weaker span with a highly unbalanced lateral tension on it. So it becomes a lot easier to permanently bend that particular spot until the spoke is replaced. The increased stresses on nearby spokes make them more likely to break in turn, too.

If you are gentle and careful while riding on a wheel known to be compromised by a broken spoke, you can possibly ride it for a long time without any unusual problems. It's sort of like having one missing lug nut on a car wheel. Whether that's a problem depends on factors like how many lug nuts are left, and how securely those are tightened, and how strong the wheel studs are. Same with spokes. The hokier your wheel was before it broke a spoke, the more likely the broken spoke is to promote a cascade of subsequent failures.

There's no good reason to tolerate a broken spoke any longer than you must, though. Even in a favorable case it can make the rim rub the brakes, or the tire rub the frame, either of which is annoying and inefficient. So you should get it fixed as promptly as you can.

Chalo

You can ride with broken spokes, but it's a LOT better to keep a wheel happy by replacing broken spokes asap.

Eventually, you might break other spokes, and if those others are close to the first one, you could bend the rim enough to ruin it. The rim can bend enough, so that when spokes are replaced it won't true right. Then you end up riding with a ton of tension on one spoke, with the opposite one loose. Then the tight ones start popping. Much better to fix the spoke before the rim gets permanently warped.

Not a bad idea to get ahold of a few replacement spokes, so you can have em when you need em. Should be able to scavenge spokes for the non motor wheel from bent wheels in a lbs dumpster.

dogman said:
Not a bad idea to get ahold of a few replacement spokes, so you can have em when you need em. Should be able to scavenge spokes for the non motor wheel from bent wheels in a lbs dumpster.

On the other hand, you can get DT Swiss straight gauge spokes, in the exact length you need, brand new and without incipient cracks/rust/other problems, for a dollar each at your local bike shop. At that price, why scavenge?

Do you scavenge beer or AA batteries? Spokes are not the same after having been used before, either.

Chalo

I know it's not best recommendations.. and maybe stupid.. but my last 112kmh speed record was with ... TWO missing spokes :lol:

I still have two missing/broken spokes since 750km without any problem.

the spokes break near the motor due to the too sharp hole that cut the spoke as long as stress occur on the wheel.. I must file these holes and relace the wheel before making my 140kmh attempt :shock:

Doc

999zip999 said:
On my bmc rear I can replace a spoke while on the bike. Is your hub front or rear ? what kind of motor ?
My wife's motor front wheel broke a spoke on her USX delta and I considered replacing it with the wheel still on. After looking the situation over more carefully I declined and took off the 2 torque arms and the wheel and did it on the ground. Next time I might try leaving it on the bike, but I really believe it is easier to work on it off the bike. It is a cinch to do spokes on the front wheels of tadpoles or the rears of deltas :D
otherDoc

Sure! I'd ride with one missing spoke-

As long as you still have 143 good ones! :shock: :shock: :shock:

144%20Spoke%20Chrome%20Wheel%20set%2026%20in.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Would I ride with a missing spoke?

Good question, let me think...

I ride with a missing wheel, and the other has a missing spoke. :twisted:

I've yet to ride an Ebike that had all spokes in and under tension. My pink bike would break them pretty often, I would make an effort to put some back in once in a while.

Chalo is the resident wheel expert here. I would listen to his advise if you're looking for a safe answer.

Well, I rode for 8 miles 'very gently' and swapped out the wheel to avoid more possible damage. It's nice havin a spare. Your comments were all over the board, and I appreciate them all! - Thanks Guys! :D

SPokes are not a problems when you have already prepare afew standby spokes.. EASY for me, i have prepare alot of spare spokes just incase if one break,, come home and fix it quickly.. so far,, after 2000km,, my spokes stay strong. i don't expect them to last forever, having a spare spokes is just a must for ebike HOBBY.. so this wheel will keep on Going and going and No worries!

ken

I find it a bit unfortunate that spokes break nowadays. The reason is the metal that they are made of isn't very good for the application.

I was just watching some more of the video of Justin riding across Canada using less than $10 of electricity. When 5 spokes on his rear wheel broke he went to a local bike shop and got a new wheel. Not much later, he was met with new "clink" sounds as the new wheel began popping spokes. :roll: The electric assist on Justin's bike was from a front hub motor, so that wasn't a factor in the rear wheel spoke problems.

I'd be great if a factory opened up a spoke making plant in the USA and they could get it right, with the right metal that resists fatigue. I've never had a spoke break on any of my American-made bikes over the past 40 years.

Solcar said:
I find it a bit unfortunate that spokes break nowadays. The reason is the metal that they are made of isn't very good for the application.

I was just watching some more of the video of Justin riding across Canada using less than $10 of electricity. When 5 spokes on his rear wheel broke he went to a local bike shop and got a new wheel. Not much later, he was met with new "clink" sounds as the new wheel began popping spokes. :roll: The electric assist on Justin's bike was from a front hub motor, so that wasn't a factor in the rear wheel spoke problems.

I'd be great if a factory opened up a spoke making plant in the USA and they could get it right, with the right metal that resists fatigue. I've never had a spoke break on any of my American-made bikes over the past 40 years.
Spokes are not born equal, that is a fact, but breaking spokes are not because of spokes quality most of the time. The main reason for braking spokes is a wrong wheel, with uneven tension due to poor maintenance. A wrong wheel breaks spokes, even if they are the best. Then, hard offroad riding can make a wheel wrong in very little time. Wheel maintenance has to be done periodically, according to riding conditions. Spoke tension should be inspected before a hard ride or long trip, a little bit of care can save alot of work.

As for quality, there is a wide range of spoke quality available already. I doubt that a new manufacturer would produce better spokes than the best that can be found now. We don't need a new manufacturer, as much as good wheelbuilders and conscious riders.

What i learn recently that i already knew but that i did not pay attentin enough :x :roll: :

Riding one spoke missing appear to be ok for hundred's of mile... until one more break... it's chain reaction and you understand why i'm sure.

When it happen your rim will become alot more fragile! than once you will hit a bump te too bad road condition, your rim will bend and more spokes will break etc....

Spoke cost nothing fompare to a good rim! Ex: my very rare Sun rim Doubletrack 24 with 36 holes wich is like normally indestructible under normal wheel assembly is not a pain to find!!

Doc

Solcar said:

The vacuum processed stainless steels used in good quality spokes these days is better than ever, and has gotten noticeably better during the twenty-something years I have been working on bikes.

His rear-heavy weight bias and extra weight of batteries and personal items presented a major challenge for any wheel, let alone a stock robot-built wheel that would be ready to buy at a bike shop. Such wheels can be substantially improved by careful stress relief and additional tension, but they still are what they are-- regular wheels for regular bikes.

DT Swiss and Wheelsmith both make spokes in the USA. DT, Sapim (from Belgium), and Wheelsmith all make much better spokes than were available at any price in the bad old days.

I have noticed in my work experience that cruddy old American bikes often do go decades without spoke breakage, even with spokes so weak that they break when you attempt to tighten them. There are a number of factors at work here. Fat, low pressure tires help reduce the forces on wheels. Soft, lumpy, flexible steel rims on old American bikes reduce stresses on spokes because they simply can't be tensioned to normal levels. Most such bikes don't even have that much spoke tension. The typical (for American clunkers) zinc-plated plain steel spokes could be pretty strong-- or not-- but the corrosion that forms at the threads serves as a natural threadlocker (for better and for worse). The result is wheels that are very heavy, aren't very strong, and can't be kept true enough to be compatible with modern rim brakes, but which don't break spokes much. When overworked, they collapse into a potato-chip shape before the spokes get strained enough to break.

If you build a wheel that weighs the same as an old clunker's steel wheel, but with a good double-walled aluminum rim, quality stainless steel spokes, and appropriate build techniques, that wheel won't break spokes either. But it will stay straight and reliably carry quite a bit more load than the clunker's wheel, and it will accept modern high-pressure tires too.

Chalo

That fits my experience--how the rims are soft steel. I have seen, however, that the spokes are pretty hard and springy on all the American bikes I've had. Having soft steel rims to lessen tension on spokes might not have been a bad approach to reduce the chance of breakage since it seems to have done that well.

It all pretty much depends on rider demographics. Most people want a dependable bike at decent cost, and that is where the American bikes did well. The quality control here has tended to be pretty decent in past years. Maybe the soft steel on the rims meant they were less straight and smooth, but they held up to considerable abuse. I still use them today and I carry 40 lbs of groceries often.

The main reason for building more things in the USA is because in order to be able to buy things from other countries long-term, we need things to sell in trade. If the world figuratively can be made smaller with common language and the moderation of culture, it wouldn't matter as much where something is made.

Back