150mm dropouts

fractal

1 kW
Is there a bike frame that has 150mm dropouts that does not cost 3000$ (norco DH, intense...etc):evil: Stretching my 135mm to me is not a good idea :(

150mm dropout width is mostly found on swingarms of expansive DH bikes. Most of them are back to 135mm this year, many with through axle. Lightweight rule.

You can find at a good price, the older DH bikes with 150mm dropout swingarms. You can also buy the wide swingarm as a spare part, and for most brands it will fit as a replacement for the narrow one, sometimes spacers are needed to adapt.

Then, what motor do you want to use that need 150mm dropout width. For my Clytes, it is the extreme limit if you want enough room for torque arms. On my A-Line with an X5, one of the axle nut can't screw flush, it is missing 2mm and has no washer. On the 135mm swingarm of my Demo 8, all my motors (H series and X5) fit fine with enough room for strong torque plates and washers.

I already modded my Giant Dh comp and my KMX typhoon wich are both 135mm dropout to a 150mm dropout no problem.. just extand the swing arm width ( easyer with cromoly or steel frame.. might require more care with the aluminum one...)

Doc

fractal said:
Is there a bike frame that has 150mm dropouts that does not cost 3000$ (norco DH, intense...etc):evil: Stretching my 135mm to me is not a good idea :(

I stretch 110mm bikes to 135 frequently (steel frames, to be clear). That's 25mm wider. Stretching a steel 135mm frame to 150mm (15mm wider) should be no problem. The longer the chainstays, the better. Conventional chainstays are better than wishbone chainstays in this regard.

Contrary to popular belief, aluminum frames can be bent to a wider setting. But their limits are smaller and the consequences of breaching them more severe. I would not try to widen a typical DH style aluminum swingarm (one with a machined yoke) by 15mm. But it might be plausible depending on the details of the design.

Note that most 150mm rear ends are designed for so-called "through axles". They don't have slotted dropouts; they only have 12mm holes in the rear fork ends. You wouldn't want that in any case.

Chalo

MadRhino said:
150mm dropout width is mostly found on swingarms of expansive DH bikes. Most of them are back to 135mm this year, many with through axle. Lightweight rule.

You can find at a good price, the older DH bikes with 150mm dropout swingarms. You can also buy the wide swingarm as a spare part, and for most brands it will fit as a replacement for the narrow one, sometimes spacers are needed to adapt.

Then, what motor do you want to use that need 150mm dropout width. For my Clytes, it is the extreme limit if you want enough room for torque arms. On my A-Line with an X5, one of the axle nut can't screw flush, it is missing 2mm and has no washer. On the 135mm swingarm of my Demo 8, all my motors (H series and X5) fit fine with enough room for strong torque plates and washers.

I am going to get the new 5404 (Wojtek is organising a group buy!!!!) it will have 150mm dropouts. Another option would be to machine the axle to 135 like this guy did : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rEICpLbhw

fractal said:
MadRhino said:

I am going to get the new 5404 (Wojtek is organising a group buy!!!!) it will have 150mm dropouts. Another option would be to machine the axle to 135 like this guy did : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rEICpLbhw

I remember this video.. I wonder if he had special order for RED painted motor??

Doc

cwah said:
any list of 150mm dropout width cheap DH bike in Europe?

Would be good to know which bike can accept easily the cromotor!

Greyborg has a frame that will work great with the motor and offers +180mm of suspension travel. Its all steel as well. Very stable at high speeds.

Take a steel bike, cut the dropout section off another bike, weld or bolt them onto the outside of your steel bike's dropouts, offsetting the other bike's dropouts by 1-2 inches backwards. If you want to run a smaller rear wheel than your bike was designed for, then offset the dropout downward as much as possible, too.

You should end up with 140-150mm dropouts, and a bike that is a little longer.. longer is better for wheelie prevention anyway. You'll need that longer wheelbase with a bigass motor like the cromotor.. :)

Yeah, you lose your vBrakes in the process.. but if you have a 150mm motor, you're going to have some regen power far stronger than what your rear vbrakes were ever capable of.

I've not done this myself, but it's exactly what i'd do.

I currently have a dahon jetstream and I'd love to put a cromotor on it:
initial.png

but it's aluminium frame and too bad only 133mm dropout width...

cwah said:
How much does it cost shipped to france?

Contact epmpartner@yahoo.com since you are in Europe and so is Greyborg.

If you want to see pictures of my build search my username. Expect to spend $3-4k USD if you have no parts already. Should be around the same cost as a DH build but end up cleaner and need less modification since it is a purpose built frame. Running a Sclumpf speed drive rocks since it allows you to have two speeds for pedaling. Of course if you use a triple MTB front setup you can have 3 gears.

cwah said:
I currently have a dahon jetstream and I'd love to put a cromotor on it:
initial.png

but it's aluminium frame and too bad only 133mm dropout width...

Death wish, huh? :p

Back