Stuttttterring Motor

I have been having a problem with motor stutter and wonder if anyone has an idea why. Let's start with the specifics. I am using an Aetoma sensorless DD front hub motor. The controller is https://hightekbikes.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=16&zenid=7dpumb5b7ml4elsoa23beeto94
All batteries have a 4mm bullet connector rated to 95A and I have checked all connections for a "soft spot". I run either a Ping 51.2V15Ah battery or a home made 74V15Ah Turnigy LiPo. Stutter happens with both when WOT at low speed and when at WOT at high speed. To further explain, when the speed is less than 10 mph I have to back off the throttle and then slowly roll it forward, as if to keep the watts to a limit. What that limit is? The stutter also occurs between 28 mph and 36 mph. If I pedal hard and get the speed above 36 mph on the 74V pack it seems like it starts from zero and accelerates to 44 mph rapidly. Does that make sense to anyone? And as long as the speed stays above 34 mph it is fine. Once it dips below, it stutters. Quite frankly dangerously so. Any help would be welcome. I can provide more info as needed.

My guess is a controller or hall sensor problem..

Since you live in the same state as me, i know that you deal with snow and rain. have you ever opened the motor to inspect for rust?

I have opened the motor, just not recently. When I did I made sure it was sealed, including the input wires. And I don't think it is a hall sensor as this is a sensorless unit. Any other ideas? Maybe it is because it is a sensorless unit? I have had issue with RC cars where the "timing" was off, but I didn't think that happened with brushless units. So there are more details. Brushless, sensorless motor. Did I put it back together wrong?

It sure sounds like the controller.
Have you tried it without the ca plugged in?
Just a dumb question.

It sure sounds like the controller, there a lot of other sensorless controllers out ther for less money. Maybe not as strong but would eleminate what the problem is.

Lyen has one and it's programmable too.

dan

Well, this is the Lyen controller. I asked hightek and they told me it was. I asked about getting a programmer and thru many ways was told that contacting Lyen was out of bounds. Is there a way that anyone knows of to get one?

Not so sure programming would cure anything. Under warranty still?

I dont know why contacting Lyen would be out of bounds? If you Bing/ google search "Lyen controllers" he has a website that you can buy controllers, motors and alot of accesories. The usb programming cable is $15.

I've seen a similar behavior from a geared kit I picked up. I operates fine from start to X stutters at X until I pedal through it to a higher speed then operates just fine above that speed and higher. I've been using the kit on my own bike instead of selling thinking the controller would fail. Still hasn't failed after 5 months.

Well, this is the Lyen controller. I asked hightek and they told me it was. I asked about getting a programmer and thru many ways was told that contacting Lyen was out of bounds. Is there a way that anyone knows of to get one?

So it's a Lyen. Why would that be out of bounds. because you could save some mony? I don't think so. If it's his controller who else would you ask about it?

I see they want 4\$50 for "programming kit". What do you get for the 50 bucks?

Just contact Lyen and be done with it. Problem solved, I hope.

Dan

You might have an early version of the controller. The latest version has improved sensorless functionality and has been tested up to 72V.

Thanks for the replies. Terry at HTB, thank you for the offer to exchange the controller for a newer model in exchange for feedback. It is the kind customer service one receives from a quality vendor. I certainly hope that this post was not taken in any way as a negative toward any vendor or product. Just trying to solve the issue. Once agian, thanks Terry for contacting me. Thumbs up to HTB.

I've had issues with older sensorless controllers and DD Golden motor. Just connected the sensors and problems disappeared.

I have that sometimes - the controller gets out of phase and very dramatically brakes the rear tyre. Roll off the throttle and back on again so it gets happy.

It usually happens when I get the rear tyre (or whole bike) airborne for a second or two - not sure why, but locking the rear wheel with a 2.75" wide downhill tyre at 40Kph is... amusing. :evil:

Sorry to revive a previous thread but I have a similar experience.

My kit is a brushless aotema kit from campsolutions (REAR single speed kit). When I first got the kit and I was running it @ 36V it was fine and even from take off I didn't feel much stuttering. However when I upped the voltage on the OEM 18 amp controller to 53V nominal I was feeling a bit of stuttering @~28mph. SO I thought it was a matter of amps and I opened the controller and soldered the shunt a bit to give it some more torque. Originally I was pulling a MAX of 17 amps , I'm now pulling 23amps (I added a really small amount of solder). AFTER I did this mod I am feeling EXACTLY what you described on your first post but the weirdest part is this. I also have an Keywin controller sensorless that I sometimes put on the bike to test it. I ran that controller which is supposed to have 30amps max with my kit and it does the SAME thing at more or less the SAME speeds you are talking about. I think this is mainly a problem of these AOTEMA motors being sensorless and not of the controllers.

I have the same problem here, with a keywin controller and a bafang sensorless motor.
I'm thinking about changing the motor for a sensored one. Do you think I can use my actual controller with a sensored motor?

feyris said:
I have the same problem here, with a keywin controller and a bafang sensorless motor.
I'm thinking about changing the motor for a sensored one. Do you think I can use my actual controller with a sensored motor?

If the keywin controller has a 5 pin hall sensor connector it will work with both. Mine does.

migueralliart said:
feyris said:

If the keywin controller has a 5 pin hall sensor connector it will work with both. Mine does.

It don't have any sensor wire or connector, but I maybe it will work if I solder it. I don't see any missing part or componnent beside a connector.

Unfortunatley I have not been able to resolve this issue with HTB. I offered to purchase a new controller for testing and review at a discount but I have not heard back about price or options. This controller is just too dangerous at high voltages. The stutter feels like it could launch me over the bars at 32 mph. More so being a front hub than rear. Live and learn. Ordered a 9C 2806 kit from ebikes.ca with 35A controller tonight and look forward to testing it. I am curious to see the difference between a sensorless and a sensored kit. My guess is that is much smoother. I'll keep the old setup for a low volt weekend cruise bike. Or set my brother up with it and the old lead sitting around. It seems to do well with that. I just need better for the daily commute.

Still no response from HTB. I have decided that it was a mistake to post something here before the egg hatched. I would still like to solve this issue with the Aetoma kit but I have my doubts. Emails seem random at best and the information seems to be lost in translation. Don't bother calling on the phone either, because the result is the same. Rather disappointing for a USA based company. And yes, this time I am making a statement about a vendor. Ebikes.ca on the other hand has been very helpful and the customer service has been like it always is, fantastic. Ben, thanks for the timely emails. I look foreward to riding a quality kit. Too bad the controller was on back order. HTB, shit or get off the pot.

Cold, I am having a similar problem with an Aotema motor and Lyen 12 fet sensorless. 32 mph seems to be the point where it loses sync. Still trying to troubleshoot and tune the problem away, but not real hopeful. I've got a thread going on this problem where others have reported similar issues with Pies and Bafangs.

The Aotema has been a champ at 48 volts with the stock controller. And it feels like a beast at 72 volts, but only up to the point where it growls back and starts to buck. So it is going to be retired to backup status and short beach runs. The next build will be sensored.

Back